Monday, June 27, 2011

I think I have caught up with myself and now I can sit down and share some of the highlights from last week's quilt camp. It was such fun and I'm already looking forward to next year! Camp is held in the June Lake and it put on by Barri of Bareroots and Sierra Cottons & Wools Quilt Shop. This was the fifth year she has hosted this camp and my first experience thanks to the Quilt Pals who signed me up and booked accommodations while I was still living in Massachusetts. *Quilt Pals ROCK!!!*
This is June Lake one of several lakes found on the June Lake Loop
Since everyone else had previous camp experience, it was decided that we could drive up a day early to do some exploring with Yosemite high on the list. Sadly, weather conditions kept us from that plan (next year) but we did visit Silver Lake.
And also Mammoth Mountain Resort (where they are still skiing)
Good news for snow lovers and Californians alike - it was a good, wet winter!
Check out this waterfall -
We could hear it all the way down at the highway. It is sure to grow as the melt continues.
This is Gull Lake.
The lake that we overlooked from our sewing machines.
The view from my seat -
We kept reminding ourselves to look up from our stitching and enjoy the view!
When we settled in our spots, we each had a darling little dish filled with chocolates.
Situated on my sewing table at home, it will be perfect to catch pins and remind me of the fun we had.
Now down to business - quilting! The camp was two days and offered multiple projects. Barri took small groups of campers over the two days and shared a new method of English paper piecing with no thread basting.
In the meantime, the rest of us were working on projects by Cheri - yes, that Cheri! Remember those strips? Well, I took them with me (along with the 1/4 yard cuts) and put them to good use. Sitting at the table with the Quilt Pals, we decided to pool our fabrics and mounded up all of our 1" strips to give us the greatest variety possible.
I worked on two of the three patterns that Cheri offered. All I lack at this point is the applique and a good pressing. I promise they weren't this wrinkly when I packed them to bring home.
Not wanting to take on the third (and largest project) toward the end of the day, one of the Pals and I instead worked on this little ditty from a pattern that was available for purchase.Small block, big border, great impact, destined to be a pillow (after ironing, of course.)
Day 2 brought us to a new project and new teachers, who may not be quite so famous around blog land but quite near and dear to our hearts - one is the fearless leader of our weekly class at Fat Quarters. There is just NO way we could quilt without her!
I stopped stitching after assembling the blocks.
I have to assemble and attach some borders to complete the top. You might be thinking that this is not my usual fabric palette, but I intend to coffee dye the quilt when done. Stay tuned.
I can't say enough good things about my experience - sewing from 8:30 in the morning until 9 at night; delicious, homemade breakfasts and dinners both days, homemade bread and cinnamon rolls along with the free flow of chocolates, water and soft drinks. Not to mention all the laughter with the Pals and some new friends in the mix. Makes you almost wish you could be there all the time . . . except you start to miss home, Hubby and . . .
I'll just hold the good memories until next year when it will be time to make more.

26 comments:

Angie said...

Oh I'm green with envy...I wanna go too! Such BEAUTIFUL scenery, Libby!! And your adorable little quilts, and CHERI to boot! It all sounds like a bit of heaven. :) Thanks for sharing it with us...and sweet sweet Daisy, I bet she was thrilled when her momma got home. :D

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, what a country! I like the Little Ditty project :-).

paula, the quilter said...

You could glue a strong magnet to the underside of that dish and it would REALLY hold those pins!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing.

Wendy said...

The scenery and setting is prefect for relaxed quilting. Lucky you to have a class with both sisters. Your projects are looking great.

WoolenSails said...

That is a wow view, would love to go there.
That would be so fun to quilt in such a beautiful area, though I might be tempted to hit the lake;)

Debbie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Wow, my dream, to attend a quilting retreat. Would be wonderful, I'm happy for you. Someday maybe . . . .
In the meantime, I'm keeping myself pretty busy at home! Please come visit me at my new blog, Ric Rac and Polka Dots. I'm brand new, but have lots of fun things planned for everyone. Please invite your friends!! I hope to see you there. Thanks for sharing the pictures for those of us unable to yake such journeys right now!
Julie

Melanie said...

Sounds like such fun.... beautiful scenery..and quilting to boot....But as always there's no place like home.

Rhonda said...

OMG, snow, I can't believe my eyes as I sweat here in central Texas. Wow, I'll bet your retreat was really enjoyable and cool.

Christine said...

Wow....how fun!! It would be a dream come true to take classes with those ladies!
christine

Carol said...

What a beautiful setting...I know you just felt like you were in heaven...love you projects...those log cabins are wonderful. Can't wait to see your other project coffee dyed. Oh I know sweet Daisy was sooooooooooo happy to see you. Glad you had a wonderful time.

dee said...

Love the little quilts. Amazing that you could focus with all that beauty. What a treat.
Sweet Daisy must have missed you like crazy-hubby too.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a wonderful place - love all of your pictures. And yes, how could you not miss that cute puppy-face!

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds fabulous! I love the quilt top you made! And the scenery is to die for! WOW!

AnnieO said...

What a fantastic weekend that sounds like. I know they have been having some late winter storms up there and read that Tioga Pass just opened, the fourth latest time in recorded history of the Pass. Beautiful views, beautiful quilts, fun with friends. What more could a girl want!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I just love little log cabins! How fun it sounds. I absolutely LOVE those little bowls - I wonder where they got them! And the scenery! To die for! I wish I would have been there!

Candace said...

What a gorgeous setting for your retreat, Libby! If I had been there and had my fly rod, we might have had that fish for dinner, too! (I would have thrown him back, just kidding!) I love the teeny log cabin blocks! Daisy must have been so happy to see you back!
Cheers!

Kim said...

Oh gosh, you are the luckiest quilter ever! This retreat certainly was a nice reward after all the moving house and all you've been through this past year. Staying tuned to see how you finish these little quilts - love them! :-D

Dixie said...

Your quilt camp looks wonderful! One of my high school buddies, Marcie, lives in June Lake and she taught knitting in Barri's shop! Looks like you had a fun time! Love your projects!

Dawn said...

WOW! Looks like great fun, and beautiful scenery. You have so much sewing to show for your time too!

McIrish Annie said...

looks like you had a wonderful trip! my boy was at Mammoth over the weekend with his snowboard. How fun that you got to quilt with Cheri!

KRIS said...

beatiful!!!!! xxx

MARCIE said...

You always have so much fun, sadly, without me! The scenery is awesome and what great pics you got!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Looks like a brilliant camp...it's a good camp when you make your own pillow for the fights!! ove the log cabins, it's nearly 11 pm here but I want to run to my machine to start making log cabin blocks! Tracey

Guðrún said...

I love that quilt with the big border. What a beautiful place to spend a weekend and meeting Cheri, wow!!!

quiltmom said...

This looks like such a beautiful place to have a retreat- I can tell you had a wonderful time. Sorry to read that you are under the weather- Hope you are soon feeling much better and able to do all the things that you enjoy.
Warmest regards,
Anna