Sunday, July 31, 2011

General Admission - $10
Fabric Purchases - $52
A Saturday spent with family and friends, old and new PRICELESS!

Yes, yesterday I went to the big quilt show in Long Beach, CA. The trip was rather hastily put together but couldn't have been anymore fun. Mother-In-Law sometimes works in one of the vendor's booths. I sent a text to see if she would be doing so this time. No, but she would still like to go to the show . . . . if she could catch a ride and had someone to go with her. Next thing I know Mother-In-Law and Sister-In-Law have made plans to make the 5+-hour drive (which turned into an 8 1/2 hour journey of road repair and Friday get-away traffic) to join in on some quilt show fun.
A few more texts and some emails resulted in a carload of Quilt Pals ready to take on the show. Add in a well-timed email from Dawn of Collector with a Needle and you've got yourself a day of quilt-loving fun.
I have not one single photo from the show. Truth be told, I didn't even bother with bringing a camera. As the show itself mainly consists of quilts labeled No Photography, Please, photo-ops are limited at best. That leaves more room in your bag for purchases. And what did I purchase? An assortment of different charm packs from Primitive Gatherings. Also stopped in at the Woolen Willow booth and chatted it up with the gals about their new magazine. It was just a great day all around. We got home a little weary, but looking forward to the next opportunity to go on a field trip.
But I would be a boring blogger if I left you with a photo-less post. Remember the tops from camp last month?
This is one now destined to become a pillow. It is the perfect size to cover over a pillow that's cover has seen better days. Just below the red is a sneak peak at the fabric for the back, a very nice match to the super-sized border fabric.
The pillow will live on the couch next to my quilting space. Another new addition to that space will be this butter churn.
One of the quilt pals offered it up, if I was interested. It no longer has a top or the dasher and only part of the bottom. Am I interested? Of course! I think that it will make a most delicious end table for that aforementioned couch. I just need to find something make table top.
Currently we are using this old and very crooked stool.
It is hard to tell from this photo, but that seat has quite a slant. Don't set a mug or glass that is too full or your beverage will slosh over one side. Don't feel sad for the little stool. It will find a new purpose somewhere else in the house.

16 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Hey, I like that stool. And the barrel. Wish I could have seen that show. You have intrepid relatives to drive through that many hours of road work. That has been going on right outside my neighborhood for a few weeks and oh, too much tar.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, forgot to say I want to copy that camp pillow!

KC Quilter said...

Love that butter churn! And the pillow is going to be adorable!!!!! Clever you.

Milah said...

Do you have a wooden checker board? That would make a nice top to you churn.

Your pillow top has given me an idea for my sofa. I love how bloggers inspire one another!

Melanie said...

Love the butter churn... Pretty quilts at the show. I've seen photos of PG's booth... it looks just like their store...

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Glad to read that you had a fun day at the quilt show! I love the way you're repurposing items in your home, they will be well appreciated in their new roles!

WoolenSails said...

I wish I could have gone to that show, my favorite shops and designers. Nice new finds, will work well with your quilts.

Debbie

Dawn said...

I had a great time meeting you and your friends - you are a rich woman with that group! Love your projects.
Always something interesting....

Lori said...

It sounds like a super fun and long day!! Woo-Hoo!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I wish I could have gone too!

AnnieO said...

That was a long drive! Ours was a lot shorter to Long Beach but wish I'd known I could have run into you and said hi :) We enjoyed the show too.

Love the pillow and the churn!

Dixie said...

Glad you had a fun day with your friends! Love your new pillow top and can't wait to see what you do with the butter churn. One of my favorite tables is a little piano stool.

Candace said...

hee - I'm glad you didn't count gas in those figures, Libby! I can just hear the laughter and fun you must have had with everyone! I would have jumped for the butter churn, too! Maybe re-purpose and old breadboard for the top? The pillow will be adorable and the stool - I wonder what it's new life is ;>)
Cheers!

THE CALICO WHALE said...

Hello Libby, I have been asking a few other bloggers what kind or type of thread they use to hand piece or even machine piece their quilts.. I have a left over large supply of Conso and it is knotting and twisting tooooooo much , it is making my quilting very frustrating so I would like your input on what you like best?

deb said...

My sister and I went thursday night...it was awesome...got lots of prim goodies!!!!

Guðrún said...

It is going to be a beautiful pillow!