Friday, July 29, 2011

I'm sure you have seen this commercial.

Yesterday while on a walk with Daisy, the tune started running through my head. Then I began adding my own images. You can get with this -
or you can get with that -
*doo dah dippity*
Then I noticed that there was a distinct 'ocean' smell. I suppose it is always present, but there are just some days that it seems more prevalent than others. Next I caught a *whiff* of Coppertone and suddenly I was four years old and at Jalama Beach.
As the years went by, the aroma changed along with me. By the time I was teen, Coppertone gave way to a special blend of baby oil and cocoa butter with subtle notes from the lemon juice I applied to help lighten my hair.
Then I chuckled a little as I realized that the changes just keep happening. Now in middle age, I've turned to unscented SPF 45 sunscreen, long sleeves, a wide brimmed hat and a vitamin D supplement to compensate for my lack of sun exposure. These days my skin stays light and my hair stays dark . . . well the ones that have not turned gray anyway.
Wouldn't it be great if Yankee Candle could come up with a Coppertone and kelp candle, just for old-times sake?

9 comments:

Wonky Girl said...

One whif of a Crayola Box takes me waaaay back to grade-school classroom memories.
And yah, high SPF cream plus a wide brim straw hat. I wear both every day with my long sleeved denim men's shirt.

KC Quilter said...

Okay, now I'm gonna be thinking about that commercial all-l-l-l weekend!

WoolenSails said...

I don't ever remember using sun tan lotion when I was young, but I was never a sun worshipper either. Now I won't go out without it.

Debbie

Lori said...

Too funny!! And so true!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man. I love the ocean and only have been to one a few times in my life. I could be there every day!

dee said...

That song does get stuck in your head.
The smell of Hawaii is a favorite scent memory for me. Going out on the balcony 14 floors up above Waikiki the breeze is filled with an amazing blend of cocoa butter, ocean, and flowers. I could have sat in that spot all night.

So nice to hear your happy voice again..

Sue Tokash said...

Agreed on the beach scented Yankee candle and like Wonky Girl Crayola crayons always reminds of back to school. I wish I could jar the scent that occurs on that first late summer early fall night when the temperatures finally drop..the crispness of the air, moistness of the earth and the dried grasses.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I'll take the "this" thank you very much. Thanks for reminding me that the "that" will be here before I know it. Except for those 2 100 degree days, we have been ahving a fabulous summer here.

Candace said...

I saw one of those cars just yesterday! What a great commercial! And if you saw my last post you know I'm with you - no more exposure for this little mousy!
Cheers!