Thursday, July 21, 2011

Stair treads-redux - finally a resolution! When we sold our home in New England, we really thought that our new home in the west would be a single story. Why? Because that was what our previous California home had been . . . . I guess. As a result, we left behind the braided rug stair treads because they seemed to go so well with the house. And maybe because I didn't relish the thought of cleaning the double-sided carpet tape residue from the stairs. But I digress.
Fast forward to the new digs. Turns out we didn't find a single story home after all. And the treads left behind on the stairs left a little (okay a LOT) to be desired in style and decorative charm.
Let's all just say it together . . . . BORING!
Thus began the online search to buy new treads. I knew just exactly what I wanted because I had left the very same, practically brand-new ones behind just a few short weeks ago. For the life of me, I could not find the site where I had ordered them. Still I am nothing if not determined. While in my slightly feverish summer cold state, I began the search anew. And while I might not be getting full, clear breaths, I was not to be denied the decorative stair covering of my dreams.
*voila*
They arrived via UPS late yesterday afternoon. We will be installing them tonight after dinner. I can hardly wait.
On the quilting front, I have renewed my determination to finish the hexagon quilt. It had been idle for several weeks. Partly because it gets a little warm under there and partly because it was beginning to feel like a hopeless endeavor. Still I looked at it every day in a crumpled heap dreaming of it dressing my bed. I just couldn't let it wither and wilt into a useless UFO.
Instead I have made the commitment to myself to spend one hour per day on the hand quilting. Now rather than dreading a futile wasted effort, I look forward to the time my quilt and I spend together every day. That's a really nice feeling.

24 comments:

Bobbi Jo said...

The stair coverings are a great color and design. Good pick! The quilt is beautiful! Can't wait to see it when you are all done with it. Proud of you for the commitment you are making to yourself and now being held accountable to us out here in blog land. he he
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Quilt Hollow said...

Please share with me the name of the company that you got those so I can mark it for future reference! Those are spot on perfect!

Shakerwood said...

How did I miss this post? Must have been getting ready for today! LOL Love the new choice you made. Like Mary, I NEED to know they name of the company. Please post the installed version. Would love to see it put in.

Have my cheerleading outfit on yelling, "Go, Libby! Finish that quilt!"

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That's a great plan to tackle something a little bit every day; kind of like taking one STEP at a time... on gorgeous stair treads, at that!!

Texan said...

Those stair treads are super! We just redid all the floors here to tile and now are redoing the stairs that were laminate to knotty pine. Those would be perfect. Can I ask what company you ordered those from? Love the colors in them :O)

Lori said...

The new treads will be far better then the old ones!
I'm so glad you are working on the hexagon quilt again- it is so beautiful

Andee said...

It looks great, I can't wait to see your progress on this beauty!

Sharon said...

Your hexi quilt is going to be amazing when you finish it! and I love your new stair covers.

Quilter Kathy said...

I think that is the best way to tackle the hand quilting - setting a time to work on it every day and it will be completed before you know it!

Rhonda said...

I really like those stair treads, and your quilt is beautiful! I hope you truly enjoy quilting it. :)

The Civil War Quilter said...

Glad you were able to find new stair treads. They'll look great in your new home. Remember, every stitch you take you're one stitch closer to getting it done. Keep stitching!

Mimi said...

Oh, I love the braided treads. I never would have though! And..... I love your hexagon quilt. Can't wait to see it completed, too. I even started a few hexagons and hope to make a table runner out of them. You've inspired me.

Candace said...

Glad you're still above water, Libby! We have an entire rug almost identical to your stair treads - they'll look fantastic! Can't wait to finally see your hexagon finish - bet you can't either!
Cheers!

WoolenSails said...

Yeh, I would get rid of those too, lol.
Love the new treads you got, will look nice in your new place. I work a bit at a time on my hexagons, too much of a finger killer to do too much, but need to work on them if we want to finish them. I still have a long way to go though, but I don't think I will make it too big, just big enough.

Debbie

Dixie said...

Nice treads, and really cool that they harken back to your time in New England! Always love seeing your progress on the hexagon quilt. Its a beauty! Glad you are feeling better...

my3Kitties said...

Yes, please share where you found your stair treds at. love the colors - i bet they will look great on!

Angie said...

Oooh, I do love those stair treads!! Gorgeous! And you have so much time and love invested in the hexie quilt---all of those beautiful colors---you HAVE to finish it! I am green with envy over that quilt...:D I'm glad you and hubby are both back up to snuff!

izzyquilts said...

Dont forget LLBean has some really good quality braided rugs too !!! Lovely home by t w.

Nancy in MT said...

Stair threads, I love those, I need some of those, where did youbuy them
Nancy

Dawn said...

What a happy quilt - love the colors. I've got one I'm sruggling w 15 mins a day - admire your 1 hour commitment. Wanna come quilt on mine ;-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow! Those are beautiful stairs!

Guðrún said...

I never get tired of looking at your hexagon quilt, what a beauty.

Deb said...

I like your stair coverings...where dYid you find them? We need to remove old carpeting on a set of steps, but we have been reluctant, because the stairs are wood...and it would be slippery.

Now, on to your hexagon quilt. It is so beautiful. I love how you have reframed your approach to the quilting. It reminds me of the quote "A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

Valerie said...

I can't wait to see you finish the hexagon quilt Libby, it is beautiful.