Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Half-way through the week . . . . already! How in the world did this happen? Well for starters the weekend was a whirlwind of fun that began on Friday afternoon and lasted all the way through Monday afternoon. We had guests that arrived Friday and I planned an itinerary to keep us hoppin', starting with pizza at home with Guests, The Princess, Boyfriend, Hubby and me.
Saturday morning after leisurely breakfast and coffee, we headed out for a visit to the new (well, new to us) Legoland Aquarium.
It was educational, playful, well-laid out and definitely geared toward kids. Please notice Hubby's head inside the tank in the middle pic - so let's say geared toward kids of all sizes.
After an enjoyable lunch, we stopped by the house to give Daisy a little romp before heading to the movies to watch The Help. I usually don't care to see movies after I have read the book because I end up being disappointed, not the case this time. I hope that Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer receive multitudes of awards for their work.
Sunday began with another leisurely morning over breakfast and coffee. But the day ramped up Linkby visiting a local street art show and sale before over to a theater performance of Ah Wilderness! The entire group of us are lovers of live theater, but Hubby and I were particularly interested in this play because of its connection with the town we lived in while in MA. While there was an opportunity to stay for a cast chat after the performance, we quickly headed home to meet up again with The Princess and Boyfriend for a backyard BBQ, a bonfire and some great photos from our guest's trip to Africa. (How wonderful to learn that you can plug a memory stick into our television and advance the pictures with the remote control . . . . like a modern day slide show!)
Come Monday morning, Hubby had to say his goodbyes early on his way to work. But the rest of us managed a leisurely morning of breakfast and coffee that lasted beyond noon, when they had to hit the road for home. Not wanting to start any big projects so late in the day, I did a minimum of straightening, played with Daisy, then put the finishing stitches in quilt bindings.
Three completed quilts! I cannot remember the last time such a thing happened around here. Sure feels good, especially that part when you pull the quilts all warm and crinkly soft from the dryer. Yum!
Speaking of yum, the Quilt Pals will be over this evening for stitchin' and chattin'. We all know that quilters require sustenance. When I couldn't think of a thing that I wanted to go out and buy for a refreshment, I decided to just make something at home. How about some Snickerdoodle Cookies.
Pre-heat oven to 400f.
In a small bowl combine 2 3/4 c flour, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt.
Set aside.
In a mixer bowl, combine 1/2 c shortening, 1/2 c softened butter, 2 eggs and 1 1/2 c sugar
mix on medium speed until creamy.
Begin adding flour mixture to form cookie dough.
Refrigerate for one hour.
Form small balls of dough and roll each in a mixture of 2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.
(mix the two together unlike this photo) If you have leftover cinnamon sugar, make toast for breakfast tomorrow.
Place coated cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from cookie sheets to cool.
Enjoy!
I gotta go, those Pals will be here soon and there are still more cookies to finish up.

19 comments:

Melanie said...

Sounds like a fun time... I remember making snickerdoodles with my mom as a kid....love thosequilts. Haven't started the Help yet, but I have it on the night stand. I grew up during that time.

Colleen said...

Cookies look great...one of my favorites! It's so nice to have friends to share quilting with. Your quilts are lovely!

Sharon said...

Looks like you and the family have settled right back in, I'm happy for you! Cookies look really yummy, I might have to try this recipe!

Quilter Kathy said...

Another yummy recipe! I haven't tried the fried cereal yet!

Beth said...

Yummy, I love Snickerdoodles. I was making them like they were going out of style last Christmas. They are so easy and taste so good. Never have figured out what cream of tartar does for them.

Betty Lou said...

Love your little quilts and Snickerdoodles bring back such good memories. Yum,Yum.

Carol said...

What a fun weekend! Wonderful quilts! And I can smell your cookies...those are my hubby's favorite!

WoolenSails said...

Looks like a fun place to go.
Love your new quilts, I am sure you are glad to be more settled in and quilting again.

Debbie

Jeanna said...

First of all, Snickerdoodles are my favorite! Congrats on getting some quilting in...you had such a busy 4 days. BTW, I love your header "Kindness Matters" Plain and Simple. If only more people would embrace those 4 words. THANK YOU!!!

izzyquilts said...

OH I can smell the cookies !!!!

Dixie said...

Went to see The Help last weekend as I really enjoyed the book. Hubs and I are big suckers for sentimental movies, and we both cried all the way through. Plus, there we were surrounded by elderly women who also loved the movie and actually sang along with the church scene. What a great experience! My kids LOVE the snickerdoodles I make for them. They are an all time favorite! Congrats on the quilty finishes.

Cathi said...

Those cookies look absolutely delicious -- think I can almost smell them here!
Love your quilts -- beautiful finishes!

Quilts And Pieces said...

So the movie was good? I love the book so much I was wondering if the movie would be any good too. I can't wait to see it. And I love snickerdoodles! mmmm!

Dawn said...

Oh how fun! You had quite a weekend, for kids of all ages too ;-)
Love the fresh from the dryer quilts and snickerdoodles...I can just smell the butter and cinnamon - YUM!

Enjoy the quilt pal time.

Karen said...

You are a very good hostess. When can I come stay for a month or two?

Shakerwood said...

You must be zonked from all the fun. I vote for kicking your feet up today and doing some handwork in your favorite chair!

Loris said...

What alot of fun! You must be loving it being near The Princess again. Your times all sounded relaxed and yet making the most of all the great stuff to do :-)
Love your new quilts. I washed some quilts yesterday and got to enjoy that warm out of the dryer quilt goodness. Hard to beat!

McIrish Annie said...

you are a very busy gal! have not read "The Help" but is on my list. Snickerdoodles are the #1 cookie in my house. may whip up a batch and pop them into the mail for my CA boy.

Guðrún said...

The quilts are beautifu. Three finished quilts, hurray for you.