Monday, August 22, 2011

I am truly reaping the benefits of living in the same time zone as The Princess. Case in point - this weekend, we got to have a mother/daughter slumber party. With Hubby away, The Princess came over in the afternoon with her little ditty bag. First on the agenda was a movie that neither of us had heard of but enjoyed very much. We stopped here to pick up some sushi and noodles on the way home.
Daisy is very much 'one of the girls' and joined us while we junked out on tv and snacks - chocolates for the humans and puppy biscuits for furry one. We slept in a little on Sunday, had a nice breakfast before The Princess had to get going. Laundry waits for no one.
When Hubby arrived home in the afternoon, we watched the first episode of The Sandwich King on The Food Network. Jeff Mauro (The Sandwich King) is the latest winner of The Next Food Network Star which we had kept up all summer long. Since we had cheered for Jeff to win, we made sure to not miss his show. I think this season they really picked a winner. For the first time, we knew we would be trying the recipes right away.
Tonight's dinner Mortadella and Fig Focaccianini*.
I used a prepared fig spread that I already had on hand and provolone cheese. Delish! The greens on the plate are baked kale chips*. Another success but if you try the recipe, don't make them ahead. They lost some of their crispness in the bowl after a couple of hours.
Now that the kitchen is cleaned up, it's time to settle in for the night and take a few stitches in something.


*click links in post for recipes*

15 comments:

Lori said...

It looks like a fun time!
I was rooting for Jeff on the show too.

quiltmom said...

What a fun way to spend time with your daughter. I have heard good things about Midnight in Paris- I am not usually a fan of Woody Allen movies but this one sounds like the exception.
A friend and I are off to see " The Help" on Wednesday afternoon.
We are doing okay- missing our son but getting on with it. It helps to have a great phone plan and some communication on the computer.
We also have skype set up but have not used it yet. He and Rose are getting settled - we will be happy to hear that they get the job situations sorted out.
Regards,
Anna

WoolenSails said...

Sounds like a great way to spend time with your daughter.

Debbie

izzyquilts said...

Sounds wonderful to spend time with your girl, I have a boy and he is not into it LOL! So I'm looking forward to my grand baby girl to watch movies with me..By the way your princess reminds me of Ashley Judd !!!She's very pretty..

Melanie said...

What fun it sounds like you had... but alas-- I'm such a plain jane when it comes to food... I'd would have had to brought my own plain peanut butter sandwich... oh I need to broaden my horizons....let's do it on desserts:)

Shakerwood said...

Those are some of the BEST weekends. Does Princess do any handwork or quilting ..... yet? I guess she doesn't need to when she has you for a mom!

Angie said...

The Princess is as cute as a button, Libby! :D What a FUN weekend! :)

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

It does look delish! And time with a daughter is always wonderful.

Sharon said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, Movie, chocolates, sleeping in.....Good for you.

Dawn said...

Proof there as no such thing as too much FUN!
Girl parties, snuggle dogs and fabulous food.
Well done!

Jeanna said...

Mother / Daughter time is the BEST! So happy for you both!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your posts always make me happy!

Quilter Kathy said...

Life does not get any better than that...so glad you could enjoy this special treat!

deb said...

what a fun time! OK I have heard a lot about baked kale chips....you have inspired me to try them...one way to eat kale right? the sammie looks yummy...I need some fig spread!!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Baked Kale chips... wow, who woulda thunk it? Gald you had a mother/daughter weekend, what fun! :)