Saturday, August 06, 2011

It all started innocently enough. In a recent post, I shared a butter churn that was gifted to me. Milah left a comment suggesting a wooden checkerboard as a topper. What a great idea! Faster than you can say 'quarter inch seam,' I was searching the internet for vintage checkerboards.
Before you know it, I have found an old red, white and blue quilt for sale on eBay. To my recollection, I had not seen 9 patches set in this particular way before. After zooming on the photo to look more closely at the quilting, I notice the fabrics.
Hey! I have fabrics in my stash that are very much like those used in the vintage quilt - just different colors.
This is the quilter's equivalent of a 'triple-dog-dare-ya'. Soon I was settled in at the sewing machine for a day of sewing, cutting strips, sewing 9 patches, putting rows together. By late afternoon all that was left to piece were the few border blocks that needed some cyphering.
Back at it this morning after the breakfast dishes were cleared. *ta da*
A completed top that finished at 25" square. The original has more rows and measures large enough for a full-size bed which explains the border treatment on three sides only. I hope my attention span holds long enough to get it quilted and bound.
I do have a finish to share - one of the log cabin quilts from the June Lake Quilt Camp.
On Wednesday, the Quilt Pals came over for an evening of stitching. We had a guest Pal. Dawn from Collector with a Needle joined us. I hope we didn't scare her off, 'cuz we'd love to have her come back again and join the fun.

18 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your new finish...especially the "liberated" border!

Milah said...

Don't you love how one thing leads to another?

That's a charming little checkered quilt you made....funny how I pointed you in that direction! ;D

Now where's that barn quilt you thought you'd paint? JK!

I look forward to seeing what's next.

Shakerwood said...

What a cute little quilt!? Who knew a butter churn would lead to that? By the way, did you find a top for the butter churn?

Love the little finish from camp. Can't go wrong with a log cabin quilt!!

paulette said...

You are like a quilter possessed!! I'm glad I'm not the only one...and in such good company!! hee hee
P

sewprimitive karen said...

Isn't that the cutest setting ever? I looked it up on eBay and like yours mucho better. I just think that's the most fun to see an antique quilt and right away make your own version.

Darlene said...

Libby, I'm so glad you're back in California (aka HOME) because you 'sound' so happy!

Love the new finish!

Dawn said...

Fabulous creations! Creative border treatment makes the first extra special. The log cabin is great PLUS, the memories from your quilt camp - doesn't get much better than that!

WoolenSails said...

Love the quilt, love both of them, both beautiful pieces. So, are you going to make a checkerboard, lol.
I moved my painting table, now I need to get in the room and reorganize the hooking and painting areas so I can do some painting before the holidays get here.

Debbie

Betty Lou said...

Love your little "copy cat" quilt. Doesn't it feel good to have something in your mind and then just deplicate it-----only better. And to think it all came from your stash. Nice work.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love both of those. But the 9 patch one is sooo cool!

Candace said...

I think you really know you're a seasoned quilter when you see a quilt and then can just sit down and reproduce it without a pattern - hooray! For a minute there I thought that fabric might be curtains for your recently decorated bathroom! It's going to blend in so well in your home, LIbby!
Cheers!

deb said...

wowser,,,thats awesome! I LOVE the log cabin quilt..stunning!!!

MARCIE said...

Love that checkered quilt! Sweet and simple! Also that Log Cabin is adorable. Has your name all over it!

suz said...

I am duly impressed and to think...it all began with a butter churn! Love the log cabin quilt too!

Lori said...

It is a wonderful quilt! How fun to think up a quilt and make it happen!!
I adore the little log cabin quilt too.

Stina said...

Caught up on you AGAIN... its all I seem to do nowadays...pheww.. and Always I smile reading your posts... make me feel good!! The sight of your style and to see your quilts.. its a pleasure!! And Daisy and the sprinkler.. SMILE!! :O)

Dixie said...

Love your new checkerboard quilt! And your log cabin quilt is precious - love to see all the new projects you are up to.

Shasta said...

Your log cabin is lovely, and your checkerboard quilt is wonderful. It reminds me of a UFO I have which was harder to make, because of the triangles, but the effect is pretty much the same.