It all started innocently enough. In a recent post, I shared a butter churn that was gifted to me. Milah left a comment suggesting a wooden checkerboard as a topper. What a great idea! Faster than you can say 'quarter inch seam,' I was searching the internet for vintage checkerboards.
Before you know it, I have found an old red, white and blue quilt for sale on eBay. To my recollection, I had not seen 9 patches set in this particular way before. After zooming on the photo to look more closely at the quilting, I notice the fabrics.
Hey! I have fabrics in my stash that are very much like those used in the vintage quilt - just different colors.
This is the quilter's equivalent of a 'triple-dog-dare-ya'. Soon I was settled in at the sewing machine for a day of sewing, cutting strips, sewing 9 patches, putting rows together. By late afternoon all that was left to piece were the few border blocks that needed some cyphering.
Back at it this morning after the breakfast dishes were cleared. *ta da*
A completed top that finished at 25" square. The original has more rows and measures large enough for a full-size bed which explains the border treatment on three sides only. I hope my attention span holds long enough to get it quilted and bound.
I do have a finish to share - one of the log cabin quilts from the June Lake Quilt Camp.
On Wednesday, the Quilt Pals came over for an evening of stitching. We had a guest Pal. Dawn from Collector with a Needle joined us. I hope we didn't scare her off, 'cuz we'd love to have her come back again and join the fun.
59 minutes ago