Wednesday, August 03, 2011

It's a fact, we are on our way. To where? To turning this house into our home. Hubby helped me put the finishing touches on the downstairs powder room last night. What began as a simple, 'Hey - let's paint the bathroom.' Turned into a redo of all other than the vanity and throne.
We pulled out the mirror that covered the entire wall.
And replaced it with a vintage mirror that came from my mom's home. Also installed a new light fixture - something a little plainer than the fixtures throughout the house.
The new mirror left room to hang other things on that wall.
A stitchery from one of Cheri Payne's books. On the adjacent wall, we hung a flower press. the counter top has a few knickknacks gathered from all around the house. Before we knew it, there was a definite birds-and-bees-theme happening.
This little birdhouse found a new home.
It fits in perfectly and makes good use of the hook in the ceiling. I have already tried a plant there, but the lack of sun makes it a pretty hostile environment.
I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. It inspired me to continue. Next up the 'laundry hall' and the quilting space.
In other decorating news, I came up with a topper for the butter churn.
Not sure this is the final, permanent solution. For now it works just dandy. The bonus: the tray was right here in the house. Love when that happens . . . and Hubby LOVES it more!
Over the weekend, I got the last stitches in the binding of the June Lake Camp Quilt. Yesterday it received a coffee bath and dried in the sun.
I love how the coffee takes the harshness out of the white and took down the brilliance of a couple of the pinks. Now it looks like one of my quilts. Those are my favorite kind.

34 comments:

JulieF1962 said...

GREAT job! I love the paint color, light fixture, and mirror! Very cozy, warm, and inviting.

Texan said...

Bathroom looks very nice!

Love that coffee wash on the quilt. Just love knocking the new off a quilt :O).

Sharon said...

Great job on the bathroom. That's a perfect topper for your churn and I love how your quilt turned out, gotta love a few good finishes!

Wendy said...

I don't like it when they make the mirror go from wall to wall, I love how your new bathroom looks so cozy. The new cozy quilt is awesome with that block.

Dawn said...

Looks fabulous! How great is it to nest in a place you love?
Great quilt - I prefer the 'aged' look too.

izzyquilts said...

Your coffee quilt is lovely !!!! Very nice indeed. I like watching your decoration of your house because I enjoyed seeing you do your New England house from when you purchased it and had all those appliance delivery problems for your kitchen, till you sold it and moved back !!! Good work the house looks warm and cozy ..

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Good job. Love it. Awesome on the coffee stained quilt.

WoolenSails said...

I love that paint color. I wanted that shade for my bathroom and it ended up too yellow, so not sure what Bill got;) Love how the coffee looks in the quilt, really gives it a nice vintage look. I do have that in my stash, usually I use the muslims for stitcheries but I got the darker for quilting.

Debbie

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Bathroom, two thumbs up, I love the charm of your upgrades! Your quilt finish is so inspiring now I need to sit still at my machine and get something done.

Lori said...

Love your camp quilt!!That pattern is a good one and yoru quilt looks old and charming.

Nice job on the bathroom!

Rhonda said...

Enjoyed seeing your projects. That coffe bath for the quilt sounds interesting.

Beth said...

Everything looks just beautiful! You are very talented. I love your quilt!

Shakerwood said...

The bath turned out wonderful and I LOVE that quilt. Nothing like a good bath in a cup of coffee!

Gail said...

Great work on the bath! And on the Quilt!

Quilt Hollow said...

Nice bathroom. :-) Your quilt is a stunner for sure! Looks like I should own that one myself.

Betty Lou said...

Like the way your powder room came together and the special touch of your mother' mirror. I have heard of tea bath, not coffee bath, does that work better?

Quilter Kathy said...

I LOVE this quilt! I don't remember seeing you working on it...is it a UFO or a newer project? I love the rolling stones block and the overall effect using a different pair of fabrics for each block. It's amazing!

Melanie said...

That quilt just yells,"I'm home where I belong" (cue the music....) Love the home pics. It just fits...

MARCIE said...

Always love seeing what you are doing with your house. That gold is a lovely color! And your camp quilt is sensational and very Libby!

Nancy in MT said...

Love the mustard color walls, my floor in my sewing room is that color. Love your quilt, too.
Nancy

Colleen said...

You definitely have the decorating touch :o) Your quilt is really pretty!

AnnieO said...

Congrats on feeling so much better you are ready to start on renos! We have one of those huge mirrors too and I'm ready to get rid of it. Love the knicknacks and decor adding charm to every room. The tray looks really good. But the cherry on top is that QUILT. Gorgeous!

Kathie said...

love the new look of the bathroom! hanging the birdhouse just fun!
ah your having fun decorating your home, love watching! great quilt! oh love what you chose to use that tray is perfect there!
Kathie

dee said...

The quilt is so beautiful amd so very Libby!
Nice job on the bathroom. Love the colors.

Angie said...

You have such a special gift for colors, Libby. The powder room is one I would love to have in my house...the quilt is 'perfect'. You really do have such a knack, girlfriend! :D When can you come and redo this place I live in? ;)

Synthia said...

Excellent!!! Both the bath and the quilt.

Julia said...

I LOVE that quilt, Libby!!! Is that your design or a published pattern? I have a huge collection of homespuns that want to live in a quilt like this! :~)

Quilts And Pieces said...

nice redo! and I love your june lake camp (or whatever you called it) quilt!

Jeanne said...

Nice work on the bathroom and the quilt! How much coffee do you use to wash your quilts?

Candace said...

Now that's a warm and inviting room, Libby! The butter churn topper is genius and your quilt is most definitely YOU!
Cheers!

deb said...

LOVE it all...especially the quilt!!!!!!!!!

Dixie said...

Love the June Lake quilt! So glad to see you overdying and hanging your quilts out in the sun to dry again! All is right with the world...

Your decorating looks wonderful, too!

Sweet P said...

Love the bathroom redo! You have awesome decorating taste. The quilt is gorgeous.

Guðrún said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your bathroom, it looks GREAT.