Friday, August 26, 2011

My word of the month has been resurgence. First I finally shook off the last bits of the debilitating summer cold that consumed much of July. Then I pulled out a long neglected quilt project and started working on it again.
I am ready to start stitching the third row of pennies down.
It feels like a long time since I have worked on applique and I am enjoying it very much.
On my Kindle, I am currently reading Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl. An interesting and humorous look at her time as the food critic for the New York Times. Ruth is causing me to think more about the food I'm eating and what it tastes like. Can I taste the earth in carrots? Maybe a hint of sea in scallops? I find I am making each meal a little more of an experience rather than a means to fill the hole.
Best of all, though, are the recipes tucked into the stories she shares. Last night for dinner I prepared her Spaghetti Carbonara accompanied by a tomato salad. For dessert -
Apricot Upside Down Cake!
I am still finding my way around the new kitchen. I need to rearrange some cabinets and drawers to better fit how I work there and then look out. I'm pouring through the cookbooks and stalking the farmer's markets. There's a resurgence in the kitchen as well.

11 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Resurgence... a great word! Love your pennies and the apricot upside down cake, they resemble each other~ :)

KC Quilter said...

I have read every single book of Ruth Reichl's I could get my hands on! In addition to being a great cook and restaurant critic and magazine editor, she is a wonderful storyteller! I am so sad that they shut down Gourmet mag--just when I was discovering it!!!

Shakerwood said...

I just finished watching "Julie & Julia" and it does make you think more about the food we eat. I may have to try Ruth's books.

Love the background fabric you used for the Penny Quilt.

Texan said...

Your quilt looks great, I quilted mine on the machine very simply just going down between the rows of circles. :O).

If I could eat apricots I would be all over that cake! Allergic so a no go. Pooy

WoolenSails said...

Love the pennies, will be a wonderful piece.
I am spending the day getting ready for the storm, see what you missed, lol.

Debbie

Melanie said...

OK- tons to talk about--- You're a big girl! You are using a kindle!!!! I have an IPAD for reading and love mine....The applique I have been working on is so much fun. Relaxing and portable. I count it as a summer activity when I can sit outside and quilt. Hats off to pulling the project out of the box and finishing it. If got tons of zuchinni.. got any good recipes?

paula, the quilter said...

I had a word for the month of July: stultify. I am over it now I think. I have been in a cooking rut and need to get out of it. Thanks for the nudge.

Loris said...

Love your word AND your resurgence! The quilt is coming along wonderfully. It's beautiful!

Dawn said...

The Foodie child is coming for Labor Day - I think I will gift him with the book.

Love your circles - what a fabulous variety of fabrics.

Karen said...

I am curious to know what line of fabric your background is from. It is a good choice for your quilt.

You seem like the perfect homemaker. You like to experiment with different recipes, like to garden, and of course you make wonderful quilts. I picture you like a housewife back in the 50's. The ones in the ads that wore high heels, a house dress, and an apron to vaccuum and dust. Are you laughing?

deb said...

love the word...love the quilt!!!!!!!!