Thursday, August 18, 2011

One downside about moving from sea to shining sea (and back again) in under two years is having to face the disgrace that is a stash of incomplete projects. Remember I said ONE - stay tuned for future posts with a similar theme.
I have my full quilter's share of unfinished projects with a list just as long of reasons for them remaining incomplete. Those reasons run the gamut from just plain losing interest to waiting for the 'perfect' fabric for that final border. The subject of my post today has to do with lack of confidence. That's right, lack of confidence. I thought about it for a while and realized that is was never a lack of skill, I just couldn't quite figure out how to undertake the next step.
I found the first mention of this project on Oct. 19, 2007. Followed quickly with a post on October 21, 2007 and then again on October 25, 2007. I have very clear memory of stitching my fingers til they were practically numb while watching coverage of the wildfires raging in our area. I mentioned my progress again on November 5, 2007 and finally on December 12, 2007.
That's the point where I reached the end of my confidence, stuffed everything into a large paper bag and waited for the quilting elves to arrive under cover of dark and finish it for me.
I guess they never received the change of address card.
This morning I went out to the garage, rooted around in some of the yet unpacked boxes of quilting supplies and projects, and brought it once more into the light of day. Most of the pennies just required a little pressing. Others needed a shot of steam.
The magazine pages are a little rumpled and crumpled, due in part to my leafing through them again and again as well as from their 6,000 plus mile journey.
But the good news is that I have had some sort of quilting epiphany. I had been struggling with how to lay out the pennies in even rows for applique (without some sort of elaborate use of rulers - gotta keep it simple.)
I have a plan. I am ready to stitch. This quilt has been waiting a long, long time. I threw away the paper bag so there are no excuses left and no place for it to hide.

32 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Love that black fabric. Does it have woven stars? If so I have/had some in my taupe stash!

Darlene said...

I remember when you started this project - have we 'known' each other too long? I'm so glad that you rooted it out and have a plan. Can't wait to see your progress.

Mad Red Hare said...

I have a bunch of projects like that. Have good intentions, just never follow through with them!

Beth said...

I have seen that one done up. I know you can do it, are you kidding? I have seen some of your finished projects. It looks like your fabric has a print on it that will help you put your applique straight, it looks really cute from what I can tell.

MARCIE said...

Genius! Follow the stripe! And isn't it just the perfect fabric too! You win again! I actually remember when this project began and am glad to see you getting it together. I seriously hope no one is watching my blog and keeping track of all my starts with no finishes. Way too many, and yet I am ready to begin something new. I am like that commercial of the guy trying to resist adjusting his thermostat!

Lori said...

WooHOO! Fantastic!

Quilter Kathy said...

Loved reading your post today...I can relate and know exactly what you mean. I was helped this year with my UFO wish list and determined to finish a quilt each month...no excuses! I forced myself to push through the uncertainty or lack of confidence and am surprised to learn that if I give myself a deadline, I follow it...who knew?!?! Look forward to seeing how you solved your dilemma!

Penny said...

I am not a quilter, but a cross-stitcher, and I have a stash of unfinished projects, too. And I think you can do it! Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt....... Good Luck!!

Karen said...

Yup I can relate to that one - some just keep popping up as if to say "pick me pick me" and finish me, lol. Good for you - it's a darling quilt and will be fun to sew. I'm making a list myself in the next few weeks of projects that are saying "pick me and let's get-r-dun, lol.

Hugs - karen/yellowfarmhouse

Dawn said...

It is fabulous - can't wait to see it in person. I need a closer look at the fabrics, and I love circles/pennies.

Candace said...

I have full confidence that you'll finally see this one through, Libby! You're in a wonderful place now and I think "Quilting Karmic Energy" is present! I remember my first penny project - it was wool and a vest, no less and it took me forever, but I had such a good feeling when I finished and the recipient couldn't have been happier! I'll have the band ready to play when you finish!
Cheers!

Shakerwood said...

I didn't start reading your blog until after this cute quilt went into hiding. How brave of you to pull it out AND admit that you haven't finished it to the world. I know you will finish it soon!

Just love it!!

Nancy in MT said...

Oh Libby, I'm laughing out loud. That poor magazine, has it been that long. That means my quilt needs a cleaning since it's been hanging that long. Follow the stripes in the fabric, I did not use a ruler, my fabric had more lines to follow, but just eye it. And try to forget that there are only 270 circles. Look for to a finish.
Nancy

WoolenSails said...

That is going to be a nice quilt, love the fabrics you used. Kelly sent me some of that type in different colors. Maybe I will color block it and then put something onto that.

Debbie

Texan said...

I made that quilt! I am sure yours will be super, your such a good quilter!

Here is mine
http://texan.blogspot.com/2009/09/quilty-fun.html

Susie said...

It was just waiting for you to get in the frame of mind to finish it.
I remember that picture in the magazine. Yours will be wonderful. See how many are encouraging you to finish....we want to see it.

Mimi said...

That quilt is going to be great especially with that background. I can't wait to see it complete. Have fun!

Betty Lou said...

Just think about how much you have already completed. It is going to be beautiful. No more paper bags now.

Donna said...

Go, Libby, Go!

Finish it and on to the next one!
You are an inspiration!

Karen said...

I wanted to make that very same quilt but just never had a large enough background piece that was just the right one. I don't have the pattern any longer but probably could do it without.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I always loved Nancy's quilt. YOurs is going to be wonderful too!

quiltsbycheri said...

unconfident is not a word i would use to describe you, definetly not!

Colleen said...

Oh, you must finish this. It is wonderful! The background fabric is perfect too. Cannot wait for the next report!

Rose Marie said...

If anyone can do it ... you can!!! This is going to be a gorgeous quilt!

McIrish Annie said...

Good fall project! I like this one alot. i would not be too concerned about the straightness of the pennies. a little wonkiness only adds to the charm.

Hedgehog said...

Love this project!

Chocolate Cat said...

I think we have all done this and 'confidence' is certainly a reason I put things aside. I have picked up an old knitting project this weekend and hoping I see some progress. Looking forward to seeing your 'finished' quilt!!

Barb said...

great project
It will be fun to watch you resume - this is totally worth finishing.

AnnieO said...

Very exciting to get that light bulb popping....glad this project will see an end!

Guðrún said...

I remember those circles. I look forward to see your progress.

quiltmom said...

I have a couple of projects like that, I have had hanging around longer than that-LOL I don't even have the good reason you do, for not having them finished. They somehow keep getting put to the back burner - another quilt project seems more important.
This one will be lovely Libby- it must feel good to be getting it done.
Loved your stairs with the carpets and you sure have added some lovely touches to your new digs.
I am going to try and get a new post up this weekend. I spent the day scanning photographs so I can have pictures of most of my quilts altogether.
Regards,
Anna

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love, love, love it!!!!!