Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Wanna know the truth? I started out the day with a bit of dread. Why? Because today's agenda began with a trip to the local base to have my military dependent identification card renewed. As a retired Marine, Hubby's identification card is issued for life. For me, I have to get a new card issued every four years and I just never look forward to it.
Because in the past this one thing can take two, three or more hours, we left with fully charged Kindles - ready for the wait. Usually Hubby will remind me of a recruiting poster that was popular at the time he joined the Marine Corps. Imagine our complete surprise and subsequent happiness at being in/id'd/out in under 30 minutes - including a new card for Hubby that does not show a social security number and a sticker for our truck! The clerks were friendly, knowledgeable and made eye contact!
The best part was not that we were able to take a reminiscing drive around the base or stop for breakfast before Hubby needed to get to work, but that the young people and their families now serving their country are being treated with dignity and respect - their time is valuable and so are they.
Now I have a whole unplanned afternoon to fill up. Back in June, I started a new project that got put away while I prepped for quilt camp and there it has stayed
until today. I added a few more blocks to the pile. It won't be long and I'll have all the blocks ready to start putting the top together.
I also got the bindings sewn on two quilts.
All ready for the hand stitching. I have a date with the Quilt Pals tomorrow evening - guess what I'll be working on?

18 comments:

Lori said...

What an upbeat post! Yay! For our military!!
Love your new project and how fun to be working on the binding...that means it is close to finishing!! woo-hoo!

deb said...

that last quilt is awesome...love the gold and navy...nice and prim!!!! have fun with your group:)

Melanie said...

Sounds like a great day... I love eating breakfast out. Love your blocks...Have fun with the quilting girls.

Texan said...

Oh I like the black and gold quilt! That is very striking!

Quilter Kathy said...

Can't wait to see what you are making with this variety of blocks! So wonderful that you are sewing again :)

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful quilt, it is going to be beautiful.
My dad was retired, so we had full use of the base when I was younger.

Debbie

Candace said...

Whew - what a relief, Libby! I'd take anything that will give me more quilting time!
Cheers!

Dixie said...

Glad your day went well! Bindings are my favorite part of quilting - have a great time!

AnnieO said...

Oh, finishing chores before the dread settles for good is a great way to start the day! Glad you had plenty of time to play afterwards :)

Marisa said...

Binding up 2 quilts...you're on a roll here. Awesome! I need to catch up with you.

Cathi said...

Binding is one of my favourite parts of making a quilt -- there's something so satisfying about taking those last few stitches!
Love the stars you're making and can't wait to see more.

sewprimitive karen said...

Love the last quilt so much; it looks great with its binding on! Glad you had a good and speedy experience on the base!

Quilt Hollow said...

You know we are retired AF. I've never encountered the military to be anything less than professional in all our years of service. Now ask me about some of our civil service employees and I can tell you stories that make you wonder!!
Enjoy your stitching with friends..bet it feels so good to be back where you feel wanted and loved. :-) *wink

Dawn said...

Great success all around!
Loving those stars...
WOW - binding is so close to a finish ;-)

Kathie said...

yeah isn't great when things fall into place like that and you have time for you! hmmm maybe quilting the hexagons??? oh love these stars, can't wait to see more of this one.
congrats binding is fun isn't it ?
Kathie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Still love taht 9 patch quilt!!!!

Jeanne said...

Glad to hear the day was a good one. Your blocks and quilt are so cute. Our tomatoes are splitting before they ripen. Someone said "too much rain" in a short period of time?

Barb said...

Wow - I wish the NJ DMV was that good - it took me over 2 hours to get my license renewed. What nice news.
Love the new project and have fun with the quilt girls!!