Monday, September 12, 2011

Manic Monday? Not really, just the usual chores. Still when I started loading photos I realized this thing was just going to be all over the place. Where to start? With great news, of course.
The thimble (my favorite) that I thought was lost forever in our move reappeared today. And the crazy part is that it was right in the basket where it should have been. I have removed everything from that basket several times. So why did the thimble show up today? I dunno. I don't care. I'm just glad that we are reunited.
The reason I was going through the basket was to find a glue stick - which was not there. Maybe if I wait 6 months, it will show up? I want to glue some wool applique in place for stitching. The Quilt Pals started working on Cheri Payne's project from the current issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects.
I have opted to put the cart before the horse, as it were. I after completing the piecing, I chose to quilt, bind and coffee dye the top before the applique. I often do this with smaller applique pieces because I like having the entire piece quilted without those stitches going through the applique.
Over the weekend there were more projects around the house. Hubby moved the garbage disposal from the left to right side of the sink for me. It seems that nearly every home we've lived in it has been that way. After three months of scraping dishes on the wrong side, it seemed easier to just make the switch.
We did a little roaming around at some of my favorite junk stores. Spotted this fella at a stop light.
That is what I would call Dog Tired!
The shopping brought us two ladders.
And 42 linear feet of wood salvaged from a circa 1890's building tear down.
First everything was treated for termites, then cleaned. All the boards have been given a liberal coating of lemon oil. The ladders are due to receive a coat or two of paint. Stay tuned to see what becomes of it all.

22 comments:

Gail said...

The fairies borrowed the thimble and have now returned it, perhaps they needed a glue stick as well?

Sharon said...

Don't you love those moments, finding a lost item while looking for something else! I'm guessing those ladders are going to become amazing quilt racks of some sort. I'll stay tuned.

Susie said...

A quilt friend does like you did...she makes the whole small quilt before putting on her wool to applique. You would never know she did it this way by looking. It works great.

KC Quilter said...

Hmmmmmm.....what could those treasures turn into??? You are so clever I'm sure it will be wonderful! So glad you were reunited with your thimble.

Jeanette said...

I'm glad your thimble reappeared! :-) Luv your Cheri quilt. I was tempted to start that one yesterday, but thought I better finish some other projects first.

WoolenSails said...

Great ladder finds, I assume you will hang quilts or use them as shelves?

Debbie

Quilter Kathy said...

I am sure that Daisy had something to do with the disappearance (and random reappearance) of the thimble!
Wonder what you're up to with the ladders?!?

Texan said...

oh I love when something isnt where it should be and then poof it shows back up. I really do just love that. I always just say Thanks Guys I appreciate it!

Can't wait to see what your wood becomes! Love the ladders!

That doggy looked like maybe he was feeling a bit car sick didn't he ... poor fella.

sewprimitive karen said...

I remember you talking about losing that thimble! That dog is definitely photo-worthy. Silly question: how do you treat the boards for termites?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I"m so glad you found your thimble!!!! Wonderful! check out my new goodies!

The Civil War Quilter said...

And I thought that only happened to me! Who hides these things?! I'm glad your thimble found you!

Dixie said...

Oh, can't wait to see the project with the ladders and recycled wood! Glad your thimble reappeared - happens to me all the time even when I consciously put something away!

AnnieO said...

It is amazing sometimes where things pop up, even where you have looked and looked!

I like the garbage disposal on the right too :)

Beautiful little project going there--can't wait to see the applique you're going to add.

I'll stay tuned on that ladder deal...

Karen said...

I have had the same frustration as you in looking for an item. Search and search and it turns up in the place it should have been but I have missed it somewhow during the search process. Maybe a gremlin takes it, hides it, and then feels guilty and puts it back.

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing "cart before the horse". I would not have thought of that and I'd been wondering about how to quilt wool applique quilts....I'm new at this! I love you bloggers more every day!

The Calico Cat said...

No fingernails, huh?
I use a roxanne thimble that I actually HATE, but I am too stubborn to look into a different solution... It works & doesn't actually injure me, just hurts near the cuticle.

Maybe that is why I have a stack yay high of quilts that need the bindings finished.

Dawn said...

Finding lost objects is such a gift ;-)
Love your creative plans - they look very promising.

Stephanie D. said...

You two have been so busy! Can't wait to see what you do with the ladders and boards. Bet it's quilt-related!

MARCIE said...

The fun never ends in southern Cal! Fun shopping finds! And I think it is a great idea to quilt, bind and dye the quilt before applique. I did that to a small quilt and it worked like a charm. Then I made another and forgot to do it and it still sits unquilted. It's a pain to do it after the applique is on.
Oh and i do LOVE your big penny quilt as much as Daisy does!

deb said...

I LOVE that project in the magazine, its on my list of things I want to make after I get thru the Piecemakers show...there are so many cool projects in that magazine!!!!! LOVE the ladders!!

Carole said...

So glad your favourite thimble showed up. Mine never did but..... I was able to purchase the same style. I do love my thimble! Lovely finds! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

deb said...

I LOVE that project from Cheri and I am going to opt to make it the same way.....I cant wait to see the finsihed piece....its one of my favs from that magazine!!!!!!
congrats on finding the thimble...I once lost my watch and found it 2 years later....lol