Sunday, September 04, 2011

Simple things. For me it seems to often boil down to just that. Let's start at the beginning. Well maybe not the beginning, but back in time just a few months.
When we found our new home, we knew that it had not always been lived in gently. The owner we purchased from had done a lot to repair and update, but there is still work to be done. While we are up to the task, our plan is to take our time - enjoy the process.
One thing that really (REALLY) bothered me was the bread board in the kitchen. It was dirty and gooey and generally not something that I would put food on for any reason. I scrubbed; I used bleach; I used cleanser; I tried lemon juice and salt; I left it out in the sun. Still I wasn't comfortable using it. But I use a bread board a lot!
Then I had that light bulb moment and searched the Internet. And there it was.
The package arrived on Friday. We have used it at every meal since then. The kitchen feels right. It really is the simple things.

14 comments:

WoolenSails said...

They left their bread board?
I am picky on my kitchen area, so I tend to use my own things when I go on vacations and rent;)

I use cheap plastic ones, so I can throw them away after awhile. With my allergies, I have to be careful.

Debbie

Diane said...

I like your new board, very substantial. I'm thinking this one you have is not what I've seen on other prim sites refered to as a 'dough board' that covers the stove top burners (or is it?) I would like to have one of those to cover my gas burners but where to store it while I'm cooking? In my little house, these questions are important. From a decorating view tho' I think it would be very nice.

sewprimitive karen said...

Don't throw away the old one, it would be a good ground for a primitive painting :-). Nice new board! What is the groove for?

izzyquilts said...

A bread board is great, a clean one even better, I just can't keep my family from keeping it separate from them cutting meat on it YUK !

Shakerwood said...

Little things make all the difference....in both good and bad directions. This is definitely a good one!

Melanie said...

My Mom still uses the one my Grandfather built for her over 60 years ago.

edie said...

I totally understand. Where did you find the perfect bread board?

paula, the quilter said...

I have two cutting boards: the wooden one for vegetables and the corning ware one for meat and stuff. I can stick the corning on in the dishwasher. That is a very nice (and large) bread board.

Beth said...

I can tell I would love your kitchen, mine is a work in progress. Can you come up sometime and help me decorate your way? =)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Amen, sister. Simple things comfort me. I'm assuming this is one that is "built in" and pulls out? Brilliant!

Candace said...

OMG - you made my day, Libby! We have the same problem with ours - yet all my internet searching has only revealed board in the $200 range! I think you deserve a commission for this sale!!
Cheers!

Susan said...

I love my built in bread board and I use only one side for bread and the other for vegetables and everyone knows that only bread goes on the bread side. Kind of like sewing scissors vs paper ones. We have used the vege side so much that we could really use a new one. Where did you find yours? Thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

Ahh..further nesting in the beautiful new home.
Wonderful bread board. Have a great holiday...and week!

Barb said...

I'm glad you found a board that will work for you = and it looks like it has crumb guard!
Your pickling looked awesome!