Monday, September 19, 2011

What in the world has happened? No posts for a whole week! And just when I was getting back in the grove. Well . . . there were a lot of things going on that kept me away from the computer.
First up, we finished the board and ladder project that I teased in my last post.
They have been assembled into a shelving unit. (pay no attention to the tangle of wires - they will be dealt with in a neater manner as we finish up filling up the shelves.)
When we moved in to this home, we quickly realized that we were going to need some shelving to accommodate electronics and books. At about that same time we received the Restoration Hardware catalog. I found something I liked but was not willing to pay the price. So began the search by visiting my favorite junk spots. The search paid off when we found the components to create something uniquely our own. The biggest bonus is that including the lemon oil and spray paints the total cost is about 10% of what two the RH pieces would have cost.
And that means there was a little coin left in the piggy bank to purchase a storage solution for the quilting space.
Last week was the long awaited Big Red Barn show. I have had my heart set on one of their dry sinks for years now. So with some Quilt Pals in tow, I got to the show before the official start time to ensure I would get the pieces I wanted so very badly.
Once the cabinet was hung on the wall and the dry sink was in its place, I set to work rearranging the quilting space.The space continues to be a work in progress. We returned to the architectural salvage yard over the weekend for some more of those vintage boards for shelves. The quilt frame needs to be assembled and placed. But I have changed the name from the quilting space to My Happy Place. Of course, there is the quilting space but also the kitchen is right there. There is easy access to my future garden. I can even stay on top of the laundry all without skipping a beat.
So you can see that the week was a full and busy one. Not much time for blogging or for meal prep either. I'll leave you with a fun and easy recipe idea - Deconstructed Pesto.
Cook a package of linguine according to the directions. In the meantime, chop some basil leaves and garlic cloves and place them a serving bowl. Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the bowl; drizzle on some olive oil, toss and serve onto plates. At the table have a small bowl of toasted walnuts or pine nuts and a nice Parmesan cheese. Add in a green salad and you have a great fresh and easy dinner in the time it takes to boil water. Enjoy!

35 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I like that deconstructed pesto idea...

Jan said...

Restoration Hardware is drool-worthy, but who could afford those prices? I love your version of the shelving. Your space looks so inviting, and cozy!

AnnieO said...

OOOOOhhhhh. Smashing job on that shelving--love it! Perfect color and age. Wow.

Also kudos on the dry sink and getting all your Happy Place rearranging to your liking. I do like having my sewing area near the kitchen too. Enjoy!

Candace said...

Fun shelving! Maybe you and Andy can open up a "cottage industry" in your retirement (wink)! I love the dry sink, too! Looks like you're almost nested in Libby!
Cheers!

WoolenSails said...

Love the new storage units, beautiful pieces.
I need to redo my room and make it easier for me to store and find things.

Debbie

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Genius! I love your new things and your Happy Space is looking adorable!

Karen said...

Looking great Libby - great idea on the ladder shelving. I do love that dry sink tho - great great piece and your quick meal sounds yummy :)

Hugs - Karen

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh your Happy Place is wonderful and inviting!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love your Happy Place, it's warm and inviting! The recipe sounds perfectly delicious!!

Stephanie D. said...

Oh, that's what I call my sewing room, too! I tell hubby I'll be in My Happy Place if he needs anything. 8^D

The shelving idea is very clever. And I like the dry sink, too! Very nice!

Melanie said...

Rockin' Shelves and boy--- do I wish I was there for Lunch!!! Sounds like life is good....

MARCIE said...

Everything is looking lovely! Your ladders, freshly painted, make a great and unique shelf. Far better than that over priced RH unit. Love seeing your quilts relaxing at home.

quiltmom said...

I love the things you have added to make your home so beautiful. You have the knack of putting things together that just sing together. It looks like a very inviting space in which to live and enjoy.
Thanks for sharing your lovely abode.
Warmest regards,
Anna

John'aLee said...

What a neat idea. The ladders are fabulous. Love that you show your work in progress. To me...these are the most inspiring posts!

Kim said...

WOW! Holy cow, girl! I've always got a smile on my face when I read about all you do. You've got a real nice knack for creating and decorating. Love love that dry sink and cabinet - oh my gosh! And you know, I have a ladder and old boards...hmm.

Colleen said...

I like your ladder set up. That dry sink is wonderful and so is your happy place.

Barb said...

love the ladder project - clever!

Beth said...

I think your whole house looks like A Happy Place from looking at the pictures!

Jeanne said...

The house is looking really good! I'm happy your favorite thimble reappeared, too. The shelving unit is wonderful. Where there's a will...

Sweet P said...

The shelves are interesting. The rest of your home is looking fine,

Dawn said...

BLISS!! Your nest is coming along quite nicely.
Love the color on the dry sink and cupboard.

Shakerwood said...

Wonderful job! You and Hubby should be proud of your ingenuity and 'gettin' her done'! I see the curtains came in and are up. They fit right in as does the dry sink. I'll bet it's feeling more like home every day. See Daisy is doing her usual to help out! LOL

Dixie said...

Love all of your new decorating ideas! The ladder shelving is looking fabulous! Really love the dry sink and cupboard - great find!

Brooke said...

I really love seeing peoples sewing spaces. Yours is divine. Love everything....the shelves, the dry sink, and the dinner!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Love your new shelves!!! And the whole house!

suz said...

Great shelving idea...far superior to its inspiration. Love your sewing space!

Izzyrquilts@gmail.com said...

I like your shelves, we bought a leather chair called the Buster chair for 2000 and I think we are still paying for it 3 yrs later because of interest. Target has a very nice leather chair for 169. also shelving..If you find something good then I say pay but this chair isnt going to last 20 yrs R H ...

Linda said...

LOVE your dry sink!!!

Karen said...

Miss Creativity you are for sure! The ladders and boards make for great display space. Maybe a few little quilts stacked in one area.

Carole said...

You really have a talent for decorating. Lovely! I see it is all coming together nicely. Wanted to ask you, are you familiar with this blog? http://aprimitiveplacemagazine.blogspot.com/
I have recently subscribed to their magazine. Sweet! Cheers!

deb said...

that is amazing, I LOVE the shelving!!! I LOVE that room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and your colors!!!!!!!!!!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Wow, you have been busy..I always look forward to what you are up to.

Ullan tilkut said...

Hi! Greets from Finland! I love the quilts! They look fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters from the other side of the world! :)

Kathie said...

what are you up to????
miss your posts, painting away or making curtains or planting a garden ?????
Kathie

lindsey said...

Just come across your blog....enjoyed reading through and will be back!