Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Here I am! You know it has been a long time since I posted on my blog when Hubby mentions it! And thank you to those who have sent emails of inquiry and concern as to my whereabouts and condition. I'm here, healthy, and quite happily filling the days. Daisy and I have been taking some nice walks and lots of things are getting done around the house.
You will remember those new shelves we installed.
Well, they are filling up quite nicely.
An added bonus has been that more boxes have been unpacked as well as the long avoided and dreaded project of sorting and organizing the file cabinet contents has been accomplished. Before our move east, I could put my finger on just about any important paper in just a moment's notice. Two moves later and everything was just a jumble.
In some ways it was quite a walk down memory lane with school photos of The Princess through the years (which have been saved) and all the paperwork from our military moved from Camp Lejuene to Camp Pendleton in 1986 (which has been shredded.) Any claim we might have had has long since expired for sure.
We had a birthday celebration for Boyfriend.
Party hats all around. And a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday on the kazoo - a family tradition. You know you are in when you have been 'kazoo-ed.'
There have been some gardening celebrations, too.
The volunteer tomato plant has yielded fruit. The excitement I felt in bringing in the harvest only proves once again that it is the simple things in life that make it all worthwhile.
We enjoyed this year's ArtSplash - fundraiser for art programs in local schools.
Chalk drawings, sand sculpture, and rock stacking were all being demonstrated.
Fall is in the air.
Even in soCal, we have changing leaves. Maybe not the stunning array that New England offers. But I can enjoy this tree in a neighbor's yard and I don't have to bring out the rake or think about getting a blister from taking on the chore.
Along with the arrival of fall comes the celebration of our anniversary. Thirty-two years! Hubby and I took a long weekend trip to Las Vegas. We had tickets to see Elton John's new show - The Million Dollar Piano.
We also went to see The Lion King - after an awful experience at another Disney musical production and a child incessantly kicking our seats, we swore off Disney musicals. But the adult to child ratio in Sin City is significantly lower and we took a chance. So glad we did as it was a great show and rolled the whole Elton John experience up quite nicely.
Back at home, the fall quilts have come out.
I even finished a new fall quilt.
Yes, less computer time has lead to lots of quilting time. I am dangerously close to finishing the Penny Saved top.
The same can be said for a baby quilt that needs to get in the mail soon.
I need only get the binding stitched on and down. I put Minkee on the back and I'm pleased with the result. It is SO soft. As an added bonus, at 60" wide, I didn't have to piece the back. Another of life's simple things.
So you can see, the days have been full and the blogging break unintended. It's not always easy to find a good balance - but I'm working on it.

20 comments:

Carol said...

You have sure been a busy girl. You've gotten sooooooooo much done! Less computer time has sure made a big difference. I need to really try that!

Karen said...

The tomato looks like a pear. I have never heard of a volunteer tomato plant.

You have gotten a lot done. And I enjoy seeing those fall quilts all displayed so nice. I want to make the new Cheri quilt that you have made. Just need some spare time to do it.

Quilter Kathy said...

Balance is an ongoing learning experience for me too!
Looks like Daisy had too much to drink at the birthday party! So fun to see all your latest projects!

Melanie said...

Sounds like you were so busy living a life...you didn't have time to write about it. Good for you. Life is about living...love your curves...makes pretty quilts. Hugs to daisy.

Penny said...

Your birthday tradition of Happy Birthday on the kazoo reminds me of our family tradition on birthdays.... everyone singing as off-key as they can possibly can. It is horrible and wonderful at the same time!
You have been very busy, and your fall quilts looks lovely!! Enjoy your CA fall!!!

deb said...

OMGGGGG Im dying over that new fall quilt...it turned out awesome!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!! its spose to be a 100 tomorrow...wheres fall??????

WoolenSails said...

You have been busy, but in a good way.
Love all your fall pieces, I got one made this year, but need time for christmas, so hopefully I will have time to finish it all;)

Debbie

paula, the quilter said...

A nice long post, thank you! I have always found this time of year to be a busy one. Reminds me of the grasshopper and the ants. I am an ant, of course.

quiltsbycheri said...

so glad you are back in the blog world, missed you! you are forgiven for being away so long but just because you showed us such wonderful quilts and shared such fun stories.....

quiltmom said...

It is always satisfying to get things accomplished. Happy Anniversary to you and your beloved. We will be married 31 years at Christmas time( Boxing Day which is the day after Christmas)
I have been busy at school and it is about to get busier too. There are new formats for reporting on the computer to learn and on going lessons to plan.
I love your baby quilt. I have used minkee in a number of baby wraps and have loved the result.
Your yellow tomato is very cool.
Regards,
Anna

Kim said...

You have been away for a while - seems that time truly flies while having fun - you certainly are having fun and enjoying life...happy people are very productive and it shows here. Totally jealous about the Elton thing - lucky duck! It's just so very nice to hear how happy you are. Glad that you and Miss Daisy are getting out for walks to soak up that CA sunshine, she looks happy too, heck, I feel happier just having read your post. Thanks for that! :o)

Synthia said...

Glad to have you back on-line. You were missed.

Barb said...

Your shelves look great and so do you autumn quilts! Love the new one -
Happy Birthday to the pup!

Lori said...

Balance is a good thing. I love your fall wallhangings.
What a fantastic way to celebrate your anniversary. Congratulations!!

MARCIE said...

So many fun things to see! Love your fall quilts and so happy to see your big pennies completed it looks great!

AnnieO said...

Lots of good stuff you shared today! Glad to see you are well, happy, and still very married :) Congratulations on all!

Texan said...

ummmm your last two post have not had a place to leave a comment :O). You may know this LOL

Your Penny Saved quilt is looking super, what a great idea to quilt stars in the center of the circles. I never would have thought of that. I did straight line quilting between the rows of circles.

Sweet P said...

The shelves are looking great. You have been busy enjoying life. Nothing wrong with that.

Stephanie D. said...

Elton John Glitz! Wow!

I do enjoy Vegas. On my bucket list is to go back there--at Halloween!! Bet the place just rocks! It's just a little bit harder now that we aren't in Albuquerque anymore.

suz said...

Wow, you've been busy! I love the Penny Saver quilt. Your bookcase is excellent!