Thursday, December 08, 2011

Casualties of moving.
Some of the most mysterious things have gone 'missing' in the moves across country and back again. One item that never completed the trip east was a kitchen scale that I used for baking. I know that it was not packed in a box alone, so I can only surmise that it was in the bottom of a box, was never unpacked and ended up in the trash - an accidental victim of unpacking haste.
The latest, though, is a true mystery. A missing Christmas ornament, part of a set. See those blocks? Now look a little more closely . . .
They used to spell out 'Christmas Joy'. 'J' didn't make the journey back to California. How can that be? All the decorations were packed and put away before the move was on the schedule. I don't understand. But I have decided to deal with it as best as I possibly can. So instead of Christmas Joy, the blocks now proclaim Christmas, Yo! As sort of a hip-hop-howdy-do.
On the quilting front, I finished quilting a gift today. I will only share the rolled up quilt on the frame until after the holiday . . . just in case. One binding and two labels and my holiday quilting will be done. The same cannot be said for gift wrapping.

15 comments:

Gail said...

After one of our MANY moves, I could not find the children's wooden Easter baskets. Looked into every box, nook and crannie, nowhere. I made them new baskets. The next year we moved again and having put my foot down about yet another move (at least until the children were out of school) I really unpacked every box. There under the HO train set were the Easter baskets! Who would have thought? Perhaps your things will turn up yet!

shannon said...

or maybe it's meant to spell:

oy, christmas....

take out the 'y' and you have

o christmas.....

but i like your urban sentiment the bestest :)

Melanie said...

sewing, wrapping, and baking....I still have tons of stuff to do, but hopefully after this weekend I'll just have the caroling to do...

WoolenSails said...

That is so funny, maybe it will turn up in another box. I lost so many things from moves and other things from my husband doing a trash dump and throwing away the wrong things;)

Debbie

AnnieO said...

That is an odd thing to be missing! Yo, Christmas, where's your JOY? (insert groan here)

I've purchased two gifts, the house is half decorated, no tree yet, the Christmas photos are not printed, the newsletter is not written...Oy!

Quilt Hollow said...

That is such an odd item to go missing...love the humor and spin you put on it.

We too had many moves while in military too. Fortunately we only had minor breakages and only ever missed the rubber bit off the bottom of one leg to the ironing board and I'd like to say that would have gone when we were quickly unwrapping the stuff and overlooked it.

Milah said...

I've lost things like that without moving! Seriously, how do you purchase two curtain panels and loose one? Yes, I did that, and searched for a month before breaking down and buying another. And guess what I found recently? The missing curtain panel!

Dawn said...

I know those packing/moving mysteries all too well...
But, yo - I wouldn't want to be a mover/packer/unpacker person either ;-)

Congrats on the finish and good luck on the wrapping!

A Quilter Awakens said...

Every now and then I remember something I used to own that was lost in a move (7 times the year I divorced), so I have replaced some of the more treasured items with similar ones from E-bay. Worked for me. I think your block will be difficult to match, so "O Christmas" looks good using the backside of the "y" for a space-holder. Maybe? Karmen

Nines said...

I rather like the whole Christmas yo! idea...

Candace said...

Funny and sad altogether, Libby! I like the hip-hop Christmas theme, though! Who knows - someday maybe both those items will magically appear ;>)
Cheers!

deb said...

well...Christmas YO sorta fits in cali right???? lol....maybe it will show up when you least expect it.....

Diane said...

Personally, I would have gone with “Christmas, Oy!“ the ecumenical greeting we now use in our family. Happy holidays.

Melanie said...

Looks like Christmas --- You could keep them stashed until Christmas morning...I love the basket idea-- wicker clothes baskets. Fill 'em to the rim!!!!

Diane said...

We have discovered after the last move the Christmas tree is gone! How do you lose a whole tree? There was also a box of really nice garland that is missing too. The best idea we can come up with is, my husband accidentally donated them to Good Will along with some other items. Oh well, I hope who ever got them enjoy them.