Saturday, December 31, 2011

The last week of 2011 was filled with firsts - and what a wonderful way that is to close out the year! Really it wasn't until mid-week that it began, that is when Hubby and I drove up to Los Angeles to Staples Center for a concert.
But before you even think about entering the arena there are a lot of things to see. There are several statues dedicated to Los Angeles sporting icons, but my favorite is this
tribute to Chick Hearn, the voice of the Los Angeles Lakers on radio and television as well as the host of Bowling For Dollars. Like Vin Scully, if you grew up around these parts it's difficult if not impossible to think of local sports without bringing their voices to mind.
Soon enough we were seated inside and ready and eager for the concert to begin.
Bob Seger! His music is so much a part of our lives - Hubby and I had our first dance to one of his songs. I still have my 8-track of Night Moves, the music is that important to me. The show was terrific and I feel so very lucky to have had the opportunity. It seems that this is to be the last tour which started earlier in the year and is coming to a close. He played Boston on the day I left Massachusetts and I feared I may have missed my chance.
On Thursday, I had my first pierogi from one of the many food trucks that are making an impact on the local food scene.
And yes, that was the first food I had from a food truck having never dared to try anything from the 'roach coaches' that used to roam around. Loved it, though I don't know that I will make it a regular lunch date, I prefer to sit at a table rather than hang over the tail gate of our pickup.
In another first, I have taken on my first Block of the Day.
It's from Temecula Quilt Co. and called 12 Days of Christmas. I have learned that BOM's are not really my forte, I get behind and/or lose interest long before they are complete. I waited all the way until Day 6 before I decided to give it a go. If you haven't started, it's not too late - it only took a couple of hours to catch up. It was far more difficult to select fabrics than it was to actually construct the blocks.
So that is how I am saying goodbye to 2011. I hope to NEVER have three addresses in one year again. I'm glad to be settling back into a comfortable stride in the place that I hope to always call HOME. I am hoping for nothing but the best in life in 2012 . . . and I'm hoping that for you and yours, too.
We are off to a good start -
Come next December, there will be 'J'oy in Christmas once again!

20 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Bob Seger...so many GREAT songs...lucky you!
The 12 days of Christmas looks like fun!

Candace said...

I'm so happy you found the J!!!! That definitely bodes well for 2012, Libby! I agree 3 addresses in one year is a bit much, but I'm so happy you're re-settled in the place you love! Seeing Bob Seeger would have been a kick! Mr. Squash would love pierogis on the go, too!
Cheers!

AnnieO said...

Chick Hearn and Vin Scully, simply the best! My daughter loves the latter such that she named her dog Scully and said that when Vin passes on they will go to Dodger Stadium for his services. Glad you're sticking to SoCalif. What a great concert that must have been, Bob Seger is one of my faves too. Have fun with this little BOM, love your fabric choices. Here's a glass raised to J-O-Y in2012! Do tell where it showed up!

WoolenSails said...

I went to one concert, once and that was it, lol. Well, I did go to an outdoor one, where I met Bill and saw Aerosmith, but indoors, too noisy for me.

Love how your blocks came out, I need to finish what I have and still have my hexagons which will get done for next year;)

Debbie

sewprimitive karen said...

Is that the "J" that you lost? Your Temecula looks good; I'm making it, too (in fact two sets) and you are right, it takes forever to choose the fabrics and I am definitely not a mystery quilt girl but all of us Vintage Design Group members are (may be lol) making it. Happy New Year, amazing about the three addresses in 2011!

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow - Bob Seger!? What a great time that had to be. I love Bob Seger - lots of his songs bring back memories for me. Love your choices on your blocks. And...you have to tell us where that J was hiding!

Mary said...

I grew up near there. Vin Scully was a member of our church parish - I can tell you he sounded just as good in person! And everyone referred to Chick Hern as 'Motor Mouth'. I don't know anyone else who could talk as quickly but as clearly as he did. I would have LOVED to go with you to hear Bob Seger!!! You're a lucky ducky.

Kim said...

Huh, glad you found the "J" that was missing from your Christmas. Pierogi is a homemade holiday tradition for us. Glad you caught this special concert. Happy New Year!

Chocolate Cat said...

You have had such a 'huge' year!! Wushing you a peaceful and happy 2012!

deb said...

OMG where was it hiding????
we love Chick and Vin....the dodgers will not be the same when Vin retires!!!!
How about this weather????!!!!???

Dawn said...

J is back - how fun. I had an angel hat appear that had been missing for a few years...
Congratualtions on the engagement - that's exciting. So much fun you've been having.
Love your 12 Days fabric choices.
Thanks for sharing - and happy 2012!

Colleen said...

Great concert to see! Lucky girlie :o) So glad you are settled where you want to be!

blessedmom's simple home said...

Bob Seger? I'm a bit jealous :) I loved his songs too. I had an 8 track of his that I played over and over (oh, I'm old)! When I was teenager I used to say that when I grew up I would take Vin Scully's job. Who knew he'd continue sports casting into my 50's :)
Happy New Year to you and your family!
Blessings,
Marcia

Shakerwood said...

So glad "J" showed up. Great way to start the new year!!

Judy said...

We were supposed to go that concert but plans fell through with it being on a work night for my friends. We saw him in Vegas a few years ago and the concert was one of the best I've attended. Watching the crowd as each new song began was a big part of the entertainment!

A Quilter Awakens said...

Yay for your jay,
and the Christmas block of the day! Karmen (who is not much of a poet.)

suz said...

Hope the "J" showing up is a sign of great things to come. You've had quite a year and another exciting one coming up. Happy, healthy New Year!

Kris said...

Hi Libby!! Yes, So Cal is beautiful! I am born and raised here, and love it. But....but...but...I yearn for the seasons!! The older I get, the less I like the heat of the summer here. I can see you and I must be of the same decade!!! I grew up on Vin and Chick!!! Huge Dodger fans. Huge Lakers fans!!! And Bob...you saw Bob....I adore his music!! ADORE it. And if you had Night Moves in 8 track too...then we are the SAME AGE!!! Did you happen to watch X Factor? There was a guy that made it all the way to the end, that I said from day one, was a modern day Bog Seger!!! Josh Kradgic (sp?) Anyway...I see you also quilt. Are we related???
Hugs,
Kris

Stephanie D. said...

You found the J! Yippee! It's a good sign!

Sharon said...

We must be close in age, I LOVE Bob S music too. Lots of memories. Glad to see you will have Joy next Christmas, it was my word of the season in 2011.