Tuesday, March 13, 2012

S is for street food.
We had some business that needed tending last week in the area where we grew up. Hubby and I took the chance to enjoy some of our food favorites that are best when eaten out of hand and on the street. First up, we went to Farmer's Market in San Luis Obispo on Thursday night. If one can have such a thing, this is my favorite farmer's market of them all. Not only does it offer a bounty of local harvests, but also a weekly street fest of craft vendors, live music, food and the stores all stay open, too.
We chose (though it wasn't really a decision at all) a tri-tip sandwich for our dinner.
Having grown up on Santa Maria style barbecue, I never understand the slathering up of foods with sauce. There's nothing to hide here - a little salt, pepper and garlic. It's all you really need.
On our way home, we took a small detour off the 101 for a stop in Solvang.
mmmmm - aebleskiver. The perfect snack before facing the traffic though Los Angeles on a Sunday afternoon. It was a delicious trip.

12 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm with you on the no need for BBQ sauce on the meat ... my hubby says that if the meat isn't good enough to eat as is, then he doesn't want to eat it. ;-)

Holly Field Designs said...

Hello! I enjoyed your post, but it's making me homesick! I grew up in Sonoma, CA, and lived in Ventura & Camarillo/Thousand Oaks when my children were young. I miss the ocean air & smell! And, farmer's markets.... so wonderful. We have them here in Indiana, but they just aren't the same.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Gosh that looks good. I could go for some sitting in the sun here right now. It's almost 70 degrees here and was yesterday too!

WoolenSails said...

Too rare for me, lol. Now that dessert looks good, from the recipe it is similar to a popover.

Debbie

Karen said...

We went to Solvang years ago. An interesting place.
I am waiting to see what you do with "X".

Candace said...

That is the most yummp "S" I've ever seen, Libby!
Cheers!

deb said...

aebleskivers...with raspberry sauce, from Solvang, be still this scandnavian heart! add in the bbq and Im dying over here!!!!

Nancy in MT said...

Oh, I wish I could have had tonight.

Linnie Quilts said...

My husband is of Danish/Austrian descent and his mom used to make aebleskivers from scratch all the time. Talk about a memory jog to the past! When she passed I inherited her cast iron "skiver" pan ... guess I'll be dusting it off and giving her recipe a try! The beed tri tip made my mouth water ... you're right about hiding good meat in sauce ... WHY???

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I just came over from Kathy's aka Nana and so glad I did. I see we love many of the same things-dogs and quilting and a simple life. I lived most of my life in northern Ca. before moving to Colorado. I was just back in Carmel Valley for a visit-I do miss the winters in Ca. I'm going to follow you and can't wait to get to know you.Come visit me.
Noreen

Dixie said...

Yummo! BBQ tri tip is the best. Reminds me of the pit bbqs are weddings when I was growing up! LOVE, love Solvang, and breakfast at the Danish bakery is so delicious. The jam is wonderful there. Was fun to follow along with you on your trip.

Claudia said...

Solvang - isn't that were all the Norwegians are ?