Friday, March 16, 2012

T is for Tourist.
It's getting to be that time of year in our neck of the woods. With an amusement park or two, a world famous zoo and miles of beaches, we live in a favorite vacation destination. Not complainin' just stating the facts. Mostly we locals tend to stay close to home during tourist season, but if I may offer a few suggestions to those that choose to vacation here.

Dear Visitor,
We love to share our beautiful city. It feels like a paradise because it is, but we live here, work here, drive and shop here. Please be aware that the words crosswalk and sidewalk both contain the operative word 'WALK'. Don't stop in the middle of either to admire surfers, seagulls, dolphins or the sunset. Understanding these are things you may not see every day, please take just a brief moment to be aware of your total surroundings and keep yourself safe.
We also understand that our lifestyle is casual even on the most formal of occasions. We know that you want to be comfortable while on vacation. Still please, please, keep beach clothing for the beach. We don't walk around the streets where you live in our swimwear and just ask that you do the same for us. Ladies can wear a simple cover-up and men should ALWAYS wear a shirt while traveling to and from the sand.
We are happy to offer directions, the best place to find a fish taco, how to find your way to your hotel. We want you to enjoy your time here and come back again next year. Don't forget your sunscreen - you can get the worst sunburn when the day is gray and overcast.
Sincerely,
The Locals***

On the quilting front, I have a TaDa!
Sturbridge Stars is done and on the guest room bed. Okay-I got excited and just put in on the bed over the bedspread, but I couldn't wait another moment to see how it looked.
Here is a look at the original, inspiration quilt from OSV.
Now on to the next quilt. I wonder what it will be?


***a little snarky,yes. But the grain of truth is there :-)

26 comments:

Patty Nordahl said...

I couldn't agree more. I too live in a tourist area (Cape Cod) and want to have this laminated and posted around town. My husband has bee heard to say "If it's Tourist Season why can't we shoot them?" Just saying...

Patty Nordahl said...

I couldn't agree more. I too live in a tourist area (Cape Cod) and want to have this laminated and posted around town. My husband has bee heard to say "If it's Tourist Season why can't we shoot them?" Just saying...

Mary said...

Beautiful quilt! I absolutely love it.

I used to live where you are now and couldn't have said that better. Where I live now is much cooler most of the time so at least people actually wear clothes!

Vicki W said...

That quilt is fabulous!

deb said...

yes its almost that season.....keep an eye out for wanderers that do not watch where they go...lol...and crap...I guess Disneyland will be off limits for the summer:(

mariebeers said...

I totally agree, coming from south Fl the winter time at times so crowded that locals had to stay home, Traffic doubled, so even going to the grocery store took much longer than normal. Glad I now live in a small town in the NW.

McIrish Annie said...

Nice job but that quilt screams connecticut not california. Fork it over!

Loris said...

Very beautiful quilt! And interesting to find fabric for sale at the OSV site. I loved visiting Sturbridge and the fabrics are really reminiscent.
Love to Daisy in that big C :-)

WoolenSails said...

Love your quilt, beautiful design and fabrics.
I am still making small things, easier for my brain;)

Debbie

Anita said...

Gorgeous! I love your version :) I wouldn't have been able to wait either!

Candace said...

It would be worth visiting these "locals" just to sleep under that gorgeous quilt, Libby! Daisy should become the new tourist poster girl!
Cheers!

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilt...I love both versions of it!

Barbara said...

Your quilt is just beautiful. I would love to know what size your star blocks are. The border that you put on it came out great.

Nancy in MT said...

Libby, you quilt is stunning. I love it.

Karen said...

If I could get there, I would ask to sleep in the guest bed under the beautiful new quilt. I like the quilting on it. The design shows well.

Shakerwood said...

Too funny but too true. My family moved to the Jersey shore after I left home (south Jersey - a whole 'nother country from north Jersey). Mom would tell me the funniest stories. They definitely loved the winter better than the summer!

Glad you showed a picture of the room and quilt I will be residing in when I come visit! Love the quilt.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love the quilt!

dee said...

spectacular quilt-so very Libby!!
I live in a touristy place too. Your suggestions are warranted. Some of the strangest sights in season are in the grocery store....gahhhh, overt your eyes!

Lori said...

Congrats on the quilt! It looks fantastic, beautiful and perfect!! Way to go!!

Jeanna said...

I live in South FL and can relate to your situation. Great letter!

Love the quilt. Black and white quilts can be so elegant.

Linnie Quilts said...

We are retiring soon to an area that becomes touristy in the summer. Already plan to avoid town on some of the "high traffic" times/festivals ... just not worth it. Will go to town during the week and skip the weekends....

Cathi said...

Your quilt is stunning!! I love the fabrics you chose for it.
I started laughing out loud when I was reading your letter to visitors.

AnnieO said...

Stunning quilt!

I live in a beach town too although it's usually quite a bit cooler here than down south where you are, so coverups are more common, thankfully :)

suz said...

We run into the same problem in NH. I used to live up north, in the lakes region. It was amazing that people thought they could stop in my yard and go thru stuff and assume I was selling my picnic table, little items I had in the garden, my plants...someone even wanted to buy my dog! - and then get huffy when I asked them to leave!

Dixie said...

Ha, your letter from the locals is spot on. Also amazed at the pajamas and sagging pants some people wear. LOVE your Sturbridge quilt - its wonderful!

Barb said...

Congrats on your new finish! It looks lovely -
I guess tourists are a necessary evil if you live somewhere beautiful -
Hopefully they will be good guests.