Monday, June 25, 2012

 I'm back!  And I'm tanned, rested and ready.  I pulled into the driveway late yesterday afternoon fresh from quilt camp at June Lake.  Some of you may have already read about camp on Cheri's blog - check out the posts she shared as we sewed and sewed and sewed.
This is my second year and it was just as fun (probably more fun because of the extra day) as last year.  Two car carloads of Quilt Pals made the drive up on Wednesday.  We all bunked in together in a rented three bed/two bath house.  Guess who got a bedroom all to herself? 
Wednesday evening was just for setting up machines and chit chatting around the room with gals that we only get to see at camp.  Then bright and early Thursday morning we eagerly started work on Cheri's project.
While it is still a work in progress (lots more applique to go) mine will still be different from Cheri's.  I chose to use all reds for the baskets.  The vine is different because after cutting strips I didn't have enough to close the loop and I was too tired (or sugared up from the free flow of M&M's and the home-made cheese cake that was served after Greek salad with chicken for dinner) to cut more.  I'm planning on adding the year below my initials and then the leaves, lots and lots of leaves, on the vine.
Friday morning started off on another sugar high.  We arrived to the sewing room greeted by the delicious aroma of cinnamon rolls baking in the oven.  Big, gooey cinnamon rolls filled with blueberries, chocolate chips and topped with icing and nuts.  I had my sewing machine working at warp speed on the day's project -
which I managed to finish all but the final borders before lunch.  Isn't it darling?  Remember to go look at Cheri's blog - she worked her Cheri magic and made a gorgeous version that we all want to copy.
So what did I do with a whole afternoon?  Well, I worked on the bonus, mystery quilt that Cheri teased us with.  She gave us some cutting instructions on Thursday and an assignment to work on some four-patches when we had the time.  That resulted in this little cutie of a top.
We were offered a little kitty to applique in the corner, but I am going to switch up and stitch a dog instead.  See those two enamel pieces?  Those are the result of some antiquing we did on the drive up to June lake.
I still had a little time to sew on Friday evening.  And I was still sugared up from the ice cream sundae bar that was dessert after a delicious dinner of pork loin, potatoes, salad, and rolls.  So I dug through some bits and bobs of leftover fabrics and came up with this -
which I originally had planned to use as the back for the mystery quilt.  But after words of encouragement from the Pals, I'm going to add some applique and turn it into a top of its very own.  It's good to have Pals.
Saturday brought us to Barri's project - a sewing kit stitched from wools.
The learning curve was a little steep on this one for me, but I managed to cypher it out.  I just love it.  And what girl doesn't want to always have the cutest accessories when she's quilting?
There were raffles every day.  I didn't win a single thing, but three of The Pals were winners as well as a couple of friends I made last year.  So that's sort of the same as winning, right?  I wanted this quilt
REALLY REALLY badly.  The good news is that it now lives with a Pal.  There may be the possibility of a shared custody arrangement.
All too quickly it seemed like time to clean up and say our good byes came.  I couldn't even bring myself to take on the home-made brownies topped with ice cream for dessert that evening.  I was too full from the taco salad with ALL off the fixin's including the MOST delicious watermelon/pineapple salsa (Kudos to the chef and her helpers for all the hard work and great meals!) 
Sunday morning we packed the vehicles for the long drive home.  Hubby and Daisy were glad to see me.  The stack of mail is high, the laundry basket is over-flowing  . . . . again.  I'm not really tanned and I'm not really rested but I am ready for camp again next year. 

31 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Lucky you to take a class with Cheri and your pieces came out beautifully.

Debbie

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I am tan as I have been at our lake most of the time and not sewing. Having fun none the less.

McIrish Annie said...

Glad you had a good time. I love the baskets. They look pink to me and like the way you are doing the rope.

have pulled out folk art gathering and will be finishing that as a UFO for my guild this year. it's official. I gave a FQ as a penalty and everything. LOL.

Julie in the Barn said...

Full of envy over here on the western side of the mountains from June Lake. Cute stuff. Hope the coolish weather wasn't a damper for your retreat.

Sharon said...

Sounds like heaven, quilting, good friends, good food, lots of laughs!

Carol said...

Sounds like you had a blast...nothing much better, good friends, good food and lots of sewing time!

Dawn said...

Sounds like one of the best quilt camps - ever ;-)
Great friends, projects, food and fun!
Love the antiques too - that's the way to road trip.
Welcome back.

Shakerwood said...

I'm lovin' that little quilt you didn't win! Was that a Cheri quilt that she has as a pattern? Don't remember that one in her reportiore (sp)but then again, there are so many .... who can keep up! Glad you had a good time .....

Candace said...

What fun and what lovely little projects, Libby! How I wish I could have a retreat like that! I also love your little antique finds!
Cheers!

Karen said...

I am jealous of all the fun you had. I made the Cheri quilt that is the four patches that you show. I have not done any applique on it yet. I saw the basket quilt on her blog and want to make one of those too.
The quilt you wanted to win but didn't, is it a Cheri piece?

Kim said...

Lucky girl! I'm happy to hear that quilt camp was a HUGE success. I'm guessing you have reservations for next June. Great quilt and wool projects...right up your alley. :-D

AnnieO said...

A getaway packed with treats of the consumable kind as well as the quilty kind sounds bliss! Love your little baskets, 4 patches and other fun. Terrific!

Kathie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie Q said...

HI Libby, glad you had a lovely time at quilt retreat the pictures are great. I love the picture of Daisy with her paintbrush, do you think I can borrow her for some painting jobs I have got? Susie x

dee said...

What fun Libby. So glad you had a great time. The little 4-patch is my fav. Gorgeous colors and as for the food...Yuummmmm

alekhya bizconn said...

This blog is wonderful.Pearl Packaging is one of the leading manufacturers, suppliers and exporters of a wide range of Automatic Packaging Machines. Machine for liquids and semi liquids.

Barb said...

thanks for sharing these pieces! I really like the red basket quilt. Sounds like you had a great time.

Lori said...

I love all of your little quilts!! Lucky you for a wonderful retreat!

Nancy in MT said...

Libby, sounds like bliss, love all your quilts and projects. The Ragweed quilt from Cheri is so wonderful, lucky winner.

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds fabulous! I am green with envy! I adore the projects you worked on...especially the quilt you hade with the scraps that should be a front (not a back)!!
Amazing!

Jenny M said...

Love your basket quilt, just gorgeous, and not having enough of the vine, has created a spot for your own special design space.

Linnie Quilts said...

Beautiful work. I, too, love "quilt camps" or retreats with the girlfriends. They totally re-invigorate (is that a word??) you and you come away feeling refreshed and renewed even though you might not have gotten a lot of things done or finished. Glad you were able to get away. Good for you!

suz said...

You must have had a ball with Cheri! I love her version in black. Your red baskets are adorable and I love that you stitched Barri's project in your black thread! I just finished piecing (on the bus) Cheri's little quilt she showed in May. This weekend I'll get it ready for handquilting. Once my son gets the ACs in, I'm planning to pull my Folk Art quilt out and get busy with that!

suz said...

You must have had a ball with Cheri! I love her version in black. Your red baskets are adorable and I love that you stitched Barri's project in your black thread! I just finished piecing (on the bus) Cheri's little quilt she showed in May. This weekend I'll get it ready for handquilting. Once my son gets the ACs in, I'm planning to pull my Folk Art quilt out and get busy with that!

Stephanie Davison said...

Sounds like a great time!

You have a bottle tree! Love it!

deb said...

omg I would kill for a weekend like that!!! sigh!!!

Stina Blomgren said...

So so envy Libby.....what a great weekend you have had... Cheri and Barri and lovely company and the nicest food... What a treat... And then your new lovely little quilts... So so envy...:0)))) but am happy for you.....I truly am...:0)))

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Libby your camp sounds like alot of fun, love your baskets.
Tan or not quilt retreats are good for the soul.

Dixie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! My friend Marci from high school lives in June Lake, and she teaches knitting classes at Barri's shop. I wonder if she was there too? Nice to see you back again, and your projects turned out great!

Karen said...

I. AM. JEALOUS.
But since I like you so much, I'll just sit back, smile and be happy you had a wonderful time! Oh yes, and made great projects. (see, I'm really, really nice)

MARCIE said...

Oh wow! What fun! So happy for you, and just a little jealous.