Monday, June 04, 2012

The days are busy.  But it is a good busy and I like it just that way.
Daisy has been a great helper in the painting arena.  This weekend we put the finishing touches on the guest room.
And not a moment too soon as we are expecting our first guest of the summer this weekend.
We also finished putting our own bedroom and bathroom back together again.  One of the things that we did was remove the ginormous mirror over the vanity in the bath.  You know the kind that builders just glue up to the wall to create the illusion of space.  In its place we hung two vintage mirrors that we had in the house already.
One of those was poached from the dining room, creating the need for something to replace it.  We went to Aaron Brothers and picked up a stretched canvas.  Using a dry brush method, I applied some black wall paint and a wood stain.
 
Next we put in some small eye hooks and strung picture hanging wire across the front.  A package of postcards depicting vintage scenes of the town where we live and some mini binder hooks pulled it all together.
Voila!  I felt so artistic.  I'd love to eventually change out the postcards for vintage family photos.  But first I want scan and resize them.  It wouldn't be good to subject the originals to just hanging around.
Another thing we are doing - slowly but surely is replacing the window treatments all around the house.  What was here was serviceable but not exactly our cuppa.  As we replace what we don't care for, we have been donating the unwanteds to places like Goodwill.  And then  . . . 
I needed to stake up this VERY enthusiastic tomato plant.  Suddenly the curtain rods that just made me crazy in the house became the best tomato stakes  . . . ever!  I do love to repurpose things.
The days are busy.  But it is a good busy and I like it just that way.
 

28 comments:

Sharon said...

Glad you are busy and well. Your puppy is turning into a lovely young lady!

pembrokeshire lass said...

Wow what an excellent idea for curtain rods. I am in the process of changing the rods and curtains in my lounge and may well pinch your idea,,,if you are not patenting it?? Joan

Loris said...

Daisy is such a 'poser' She looks adorable! Fantastic idea for the tomato stake!

WoolenSails said...

Love how you did the guest room, beautiful color.
I wanted to see your mirrors, lol. We bough one for out bathroom, but it is a large one and someday will need to replace it, so love to see other's ideas.

Debbie

Beth said...

Awwww, Daisy is so cute. We just rescued a lovely black lab from the desert and we love him dearly. Retrievers sure seem to aim to please their owners. I love the use you put the curtain rods to, that is so neat! You are such a talented crafter!

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I can tell we are very much alike-we both love dogs and quilt and now that I see your guest room, I should take a photo of mine because our colors are blue and white. I think it is the same tone blue that you have. I do have some quilts in there as well plus vintage photos of our town, from the 20's, in black frames. We call it our Windsor room.
Daisy looks like she is one great helper. Have a great evening.
Noreen

Julierose said...

Nw how did you get your doggie to pose that way--soooo cute..Julierose

Karen said...

I'd like to borrow Daisy for a painting job here.

Dawn said...

You are an artist! I always knew Daisy was a model.
Great garden stake. Congrats on the painting wrap up and wonderful wall art. What a lucky guest.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a wonderful helper you have there.

Marian said...

What a great helper you have! I love your guest room - could you tell us what paint color that blue is?

AnnieO said...

Daisy is amazing!

Just starting in on some painting at our place--lots of high ceilings and big walls to do. Not much trim, though. Your guest room looks lovely.

Great repurposing idea :)

Judy in Michigan said...

Isn't it a great feeling to get a project started and then finished!! Your guest room looks very inviting!

Mary said...

Using the curtain rods in the garden is a great idea! I'm always on the lookout for things I can use outside.

Candace said...

Look at Daisy! Now that's the kind of helper everyone loves! Things are looking mighty wonderful around your homestead, Libby! I absolutely LOVE the new tomato cages!
Cheers!

Dixie said...

Your tomatoes are huge, and mine are just babies! Waited for the wedding to be over before planting mine. The cherries and apricots are delicious this year though. Daisy is cute as can be!

Melzie said...

Way to reuse things! The room looks lovely :)
xoxo melzie

Claudia said...

I just don't get to my list of blogs that I love to read.....too many things get in the way. I too try to blog often, but time just gets away.
Keep blogging !!

Stephanie Davison said...

How sweet! How do you get Daisy to DO that? She's a terrific model!

That's a lovely blue in the guest room. Someone is going to feel very special.

Shasta said...

Libby, what an awesome idea for the vintage photos. That looks like a lovely display now, and I am sure it will look even better with family photos. Daisy is adorable.

Alyssa said...

Daisy is so adorable! Neat room, I like it. You're very creative; lovin' this charming entry. Stay blessed! :)

-----------
colorado springs divorce attorneys

suz said...

Daisy is certainly well trained! I love what you did with the curtain rods - they must have looked funky in the house, but in the garden they look organic - garden art!

deb said...

curtain rods, brilliant, just brilliant!!!!!!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I need some painting done at my house, want to come do it for me?

Karen said...

can you send Daisy to NY- I have several room that need a fresh coat of paint! Love how the guest room turned out--perfect color choice.

My simple life said...

hello
daisy is soooooooooooooo sweet.great helper too.
have a nice evening,
regina

Quilter Kathy said...

I wish my tomato plants needed some stakes...they are pathetic looking little things!

Heidi's Garden said...

Oh my gosh...that is just the best idea to use old curtain rods as garden stakes! Your guest room is wonderful and you will have to be careful that your guests don't just move in...lol. I would. :-)

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi