Monday, July 16, 2012

Remember the scene from It's A Wonderful Life - the one where Joseph, the angel in charge, shows Clarence, the angel second class, the story of George Baily after all the prayers for help have gone up to heaven?  I have been picturing a similar scene with all the prayers, warm thoughts, positive energy and good karma being sent out in the name of dear Daisy.  I cannot possibly thank you enough for that because I think that it is a very helpful part of her recovery, which is still a long way to go.
On Saturday afternoon, Hubby and I met The Princess and The Intended at the animal hospital to receive our discharge and care instructions.  We were told it would be lengthy.  They did NOT exaggerate on that point.  Two and a half hours later, we were on our way home with our girl.  The Princess (an LPN) took copious notes on all of the instructions and ran interference whenever she saw the expression on my face turn to utter confusion.  The Intended has plenty of medical knowledge under his belt as well because his company deals with the medical community and the dispensing of medications, so he was able to support and reassure Hubby and I that we could manage Daisy's care.
The Happy Couple stopped on the way back to the house for a few special supplies - poster board, markers, sticker and a nifty pill cutter.  Then sent a couple of more hours here at the house reviewing instructions and setting up a chart.
It is easy to follow and written so that I can read it without my glasses from across the room.  Needless to say, Hubby and my days are very structured right now.  And while I am squeamish and uncomfortable with all the syringes and tubes, I do like structure.  Give me a rule and I will follow it.  Right now I have plenty.
There is downtime, too.  And that leaves time for quilting - something healing for me.  What I need right now is the kind of quilting that doesn't require much thinking but a way to keep my hands busy.  Good thing I am a TRUE quilter and find myself with an abundance of projects in varying states of undoneness! Yesterday I picked up some blocks from Folk Art Gathering that were ready to be appliqued.
Underneath those penny blocks are two small quilts that have touches of applique to be done as well.  I have also pulled out a batch of 9 patches that were the start of a project that I have completely lost interest in finishing.  After I saw Melanie's photo of Carol's quilt - Love  . . . . Mamie, I'm thinking that I can repurpose my 9 patches add a few more to make this quilt in just a little time.
My garden has suffered horribly over the last week plus.  I fear that it is all but done for.  There are ripe tomatoes that I can pick now, but that will be the end.  Gardens don't flourish without tending.  I might be able to salvage the pepper plants, though.  And I can get plenty of lovely produce at the farmer's market.  What I did find is that some of the peaches are ripe!
They are small, but tasty.  Last year some varmint strode into the yard about two days before they were ripe and ate every last bit.  I see evidence that they have been here again this year.  At least this year they are leaving a little for the farmer.  Smart varmints.
Please forgive me if I don't respond to each of your comments and emails of support.  My plate is so full right now that I think I may have to let that go for a bit.  But that does not stop me from reading and filling great hope from each and every one of you.  Daisy knows that there is loving and heartfelt support for her coming from all around the world.  That is making a world of difference in her recovery!

36 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Prayers without ceasing for your precious, furry girl! Hannes sends his love too! Hang in there and consider yourself hugged~

WoolenSails said...

A pill schedule is a great idea, I tend to forget things, but for now, we just have morning and night pills, so I have been able to keep track.

I find that fun projects that don't take much thinking are the best things to keep my hands busy and my mind centered.

Debbie

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Still praying for you all...especially the sweet Daisy girl. Don't concern yourself about answering my comment. I know you are so busy nursing Daisy back to health. I am so glad you have you quilting projects to keep your hands busy. Take care. Big hugs to Miss daisy!

Patchysails said...

OMG !!!! it is like taking care of a sick child isnt it ??? I just got back from vacationing at the shore and Im in lala land , but Im sorry for you to have to go through this time . Daisy is a cutie, could she have goten hold of something she ate ?
Well , I hope the stitching helps, maybe put all your good thoughts into it as she lays near you..

Texan said...

That is quite a chart you have there! Its nice your DD and her intended could help you out with the chart. That would be the sort of thing I would need. I am sending the best thoughts for your Daisy fur baby :O)

Sue said...

I am so praying for your Daisy's full recovery. Was reading your posts while on vacation and my heart was sure aching for you.

Sending a special hug for you and Daisy:)

Darlene said...

I've missed your posts about Daisy - please know that I, too, will be sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers.

Karen said...

I read the poster board chart. Daisy is getting lots of different medications and I can see why you need a chart to tell you what to do. Even though she has a long haul ahead, it does sound promising.
Love those wool pennies!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness...that is quite a list of medications to follow. I have a hard time getting one pill into my puppy!
Great news that she can come home and get the necessary TLC!

Loris said...

This med list does look like a major challenge but it also seems to bring a bit of hope. I was reminding myself this morning that Daisy is a young girl and can fight through some of this better than an older dog.She is getting the best support too.
Your Princess and her Intended did a great job with the schedule and in supporting you. Our prayers and thoughts for Daisy and your family will continue. I have you in my heart. Don't think a minute about needing to respond but know we are grateful for the updates. I am so happy you have some stitching handy. It really helps...and your wool looks yummy!

Shakerwood said...

No need to respond but know we are all thinking of you here. Nelson and Reagan send their love and well wishes!

Janet said...

You are taking great care of her and she knows you love her.
Have they figured out what is wrong with her, still lyme related or what?
Know you all are in our thoughts and prayers.
Janet

Candace said...

Well, with all that wonderful planning, Miss Daisy is sure to spring forward in the coming days and months -- along with all the love and support I know she is receiving. I was surprised to see Tramadol - a human pain reliever in her list. Goodness. I have 100% faith that things will work out well. In the meantime know that we're here for you, Libby! Quilting is good - you and Daisy can have a lot of happy days together while she heals!
Take Care!

Sharon said...

I have a pill box for myself, keeps me on track and I rarely miss a day. I'm so glad Daisy is home now, that change should help her in her recovery. As for your 9 patches, look at Sisters Choice on my blog, it was a great way to set them.
Take care and don't worry about replied, just know we are all pulling for Daisy.

Tina said...

I'm so glad Daisy is home. I'm sure it will help in her feel better being at home with her family and all of your wonderful care. I am sending prayers and thoughts Daisy's way!

The Civil War Quilter said...

I'm glad Daisy is home with you. You'll both feel better now. Your daughter and her intended are so dear for making the chart and helping you with the discharge instructions. How thoughtful of them. I hope you see improvement each and every day in your Daisy. And don't worry about the replies, you have more important things to do right now!

Melanie said...

Once you get a routine - daisy and you will be trained and healthy in no time. what do they say--'It takes a family to raise a pup?!?!?' You have inspired me so much, carol's project is great... you'll love it. The borders make it -----to me......

suz said...

Continue my prayers for Daisy and you and Joe. How sweet of your daughter and the Intended to come to listen/support/help you guys. It is good we have quilting, isn't it. I know it was so helpful to me when my mom had her open heart surgery and in her last days, just sitting with her in hospice. Now it just keeps me from slapping the attorneys I work for (I like these guys...but some days....) Will keep sending you good thoughts. Suz

AnnieO said...

Oh, my, again. Hope the Daisy girl is more chipper. The pain meds should definitely help. Any diagnosis yet?

Yes, a TRUE quilter has plenty of projects to choose from, LOL!

deb said...

Im praying for you and your family!!! once you get into a routine it will all be fine...I never thought I could give my dog shots but now its a piece of cake....its just in the beginning its hard to get everything regulated! I tip my hat to you for doing all this for her so she can have a good life!!!!!!!!!! you are a true dog lover!!!!

Stephanie Davison said...

Hurray for nurses! The Princess is a true educator and I think that chart is fantastic! There's only one drug on there that I don't recognize, btw. Funny how dogs can take people meds. Tandi is also on Tramadol for pain right now.

Aren't you so blessed to be a stay-at-home dog mommy? That schedule would be impossible to follow if you had a job outside the home. Daisy's recovery would be so much more expensive if you had to leave her at the vet for all those meds. There is no substitute for recovering at home with your own private duty nurse, right?

Y'all hang in there! You're all doing great.

quiltsbycheri said...

so happy Daisy has moved home for everyone.....enjoy stitching while not dispensing meds.....

pembrokeshire lass said...

I'm glad that she's home and pray for strength for you as you do all the nursing! You quilting hopefully will bring you some peace. Hugs Joan

Susan said...

Deepest sympathies. As the adopted mother of three precious dogs.....can't imagine the grief.

Blessings to you and Daisy.

Susan said...

Deepest sympathies. As the adopted mother of three precious dogs.....can't imagine the grief.

Blessings to you and Daisy.

Janet said...

Oh Libby. I just ready your 7/17 post. I am so sorry. Yes, I am crying. I watched/read Daisy's antics from coast to coast and it always brought a smile to my face. Thank you for sharing her with us.
I hope you and your hubby are OK.
Yes, she is in doggy heaven and will be there when you get there. Take care. Janet

Quilt Hollow said...

I've been following your Daisy...today my heart just fell in heavily for your loss. I don't know you, but through your words and photos of your sweet baby knew just how much she was loved. She was a wonderful companion after your previous loss, your best buddy when you lived on East coast and happy girl to follow on with you back to CA...her life was short but she did her job to bring you great joy even if for such a short time. Blessings....so sorry you are in such sorrow now.

Mad Red Hare said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free Daisy!

Loris said...

I can't even find words to express my grief for the loss of Daisy. I am comforted only in knowing how you showed her supreme love each day of her life. She was blessed by you and I will cherish the memory I have of her.Continued prayers for you and your family.

Plumeria said...

Just read today's update. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Daisy. May time allow you to remember her with less pain......

Jill

Penny said...

Wasn't able to leave a post on your blog about your loss of Daisy... I'm so sorry... I know you must miss her so.... we have been there and it is so very painful to lose our furry friends. Prayers for you at this difficult time, and hoping that knowing Daisy is no longer in pain brings you some comfort. Penny

Cathy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. As a Mom to 4 fur-babies I can only imagine the sadness you have in your heart. Take care......

Dixie said...

Oh Libby, so, so sorry to hear about sweet Daisy. I'm just heartbroken. Positive thoughts go out to you during this tragic time! Hugs to you, Dixie

SkippyMom said...

I am so, so sorry Libby. Truly. She has her sticks now tho', you can bet on it.

Take care. Hugs to you.

Roger Hoch said...

I cried when I read your post ... my heart is breaking for all of you. The only solace is that Daisy is at Rainbow's Bridge, healthy, happy and awaiting the day when you will all be together again. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Linda

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Libby,
I am late to catch up but my heart breaks for you and your family. I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful Daisy, Iknow she was much loved by you, and was given the best care. May her love for you and wonderful memories bring you peace and comfort, I pray for you, I know the loss of a loved companion.
Hugs, Carrie