Friday, August 03, 2012

Is everyone watching the Olympics?  We sure have been around here, though I'm wondering some about the prime time coverage.  Lots and lots of commercials and retelling the same stories of the marquee players.  If I ran the network, I would far prefer to show competitions, events and medal ceremonies  . . . . as many as I could before people have to go to bed.
So what do you do to help stay awake late at night?  At our house, we have been getting all sugared up.
I am calling these 'Yankee Dodgers,' my take on the British biscuits Jammie Dodgers.  Oh, I could have made individual cookies, but I didn't come up with the idea until mid-afternoon on our hottest day of the week.  So to limit time in the kitchen, I baked the shortbread cookie dough in a 9x13 pan.  Then used a mini heart cutter to make a place for the raspberry jam.*
All of the tv time leaves plenty of time for stitching.  I am working on a memory quilt for Daisy.
I used a quilt that one of The Pals won at June Lake as my starting inspiration.   Everything has come from stash.  I chose mostly pinks and golds, which are the colors of Daisy (she always wore a pink collar and of course, she was golden.)
In the large blank area, I am going to embroider the words to her song.
I started singing this song to her from the very first day whenever she would cry.  On her very last day, I sat on floor petting her and singing over and over to help me to not cry. I plan to quilt it by hand, that way I can add some other special motifs that make me think of Daisy.
In other news, last weekend Hubby and I took a little getaway trip.  We were ready for the break from all the stresses going on of late.  We headed to the central coast and tried to put our feet up for a bit.  There was some walking all around downtown San Luis Obispo, fish and chips in Morro Bay, a ginormous pitcher of margaritas to go with dinner and a yummy, kitschy breakfast at Madonna Inn.  What's not to love about having pink sugar in your morning coffee?
As we made our way home on Sunday, we stopped in Santa Barbara to take in the Art and Craft show.  It has been going on for nearly as long as I can remember.  Of course, we found a little somethin' somethin' to bring home.
A cheese board made from a retired wine barrel.  Yes, the underside is stained red from the wine.   Check out the craftsman's website.  He does a lot of pretty nifty things with those barrels.
Okay, time to get back to some Olympic coverage.  The afternoons are full of all sorts of lesser known sports that are fun to watch.

* yes, the photo is cropped so that you won't be able to see some of my jammie drips when I filled those hearts.  It wasn't pretty, but it tasted just fine.

27 comments:

Sue said...

Yes, watching the Olympics. It's hard to concentrate on anything else. :D

I love your memory quilt you are making for your Daisy. I think that to be sweet. Love the fabric colors and that they are from your stash.

So nice to have getaways every now and then. We need them from time to time. Yours sounds like it was pleasant :

Lori said...

I love your little memory quilt. It's going to be perfect.

Hubby and I had a quick weekend away to the coast too. It was just what the dr ordered! lol Sounds like yours was too!!

Izzy Izzyr said...

That looks delicious , I wish I could bake but Im down with a sciatic nerve pinch...On my back watching Rosemary and Thyme reruns..

Quilter Kathy said...

I am enjoying the olympics also and agree with your proposed changes to the coverage. I stay awake because I have difficulty sleeping all the time, so am happy to have something good to watch while I stitch.
Love Daisy's quilt!

WoolenSails said...

I get bored watching all the filler commentaries and just want to see the events, lol. What a wonderful piece for Daisy. When I lost my kitty, I made a quilt with crazy hearts, or broken hearts, kept me sane while I went through the grieving process.

Debbie

AnnieO said...

Such a sweet sweet project to show your Daisy love!

The shortbread looks yummy too :)

The Olympics coverage has always been the same and has always been a pain--too much focus on specific athletes and everyone else gets short shrift. But I do love to watch! The live stuff during the day is good--this morning I watched a lot of the Federer tennis match.

I hope you waved in my direction as you passed my city :) Glad your getaway was lovely.

Wendy said...

Such a wonderful memory quilt for Daisy. Can't seem to take my eyes off the Olympics.

Patchysails said...

I think I had the wrong email addy open when I posted on your blog . I did not realize it uses whatever addy you have open at the time one posts..Sorry the email is patchworkdove@gmail.com
patchysails.blogspot.com

Pokey said...

Your sweet memory quilt is absolutely precious, I love the colors and the song embroidered, too.

Those cookies look yum, I know even the drippy parts were ~
:-}pokey

Anita said...

What a great way to remember Daisy, I'm sure it will bring you much comfort while making it and after it is completed :)

Carol said...

I'm so with you Libby...way too much fluff...I think it's more about the production than it is about the actual games...and sure would like to see more medal ceremonies like we did in the old days.
The memory quilt for Daisy is so perfect...sweet just like she was.
(((HUGS)))

Jane's Addicted. said...

Your weekend sounds perfecto! 100% agree on the olympics... Somehow it's all about the buck. Even though those of us who are the commercial audience on the "public airways" are all saying we don't want the coverage they're dishing out... Disconnect somewhere... I did finally load the "live extra" app on my phone and that's cool - lets you watch all the live coverage of the various olympic events.

Angie said...

Daisy's memory quilt is going to be so very special, just as she was (is). I too sing to my dogs---do you suppose that's why they howl at me? :p)

Loris said...

Love your memory quilt for Daisy! She will melt your heart with love forever. And such a beauty!
I haven't been able to focus yet with sewing other than a little embroidery. Hopefully soon I will be able to start the applique of my dog girls.
Your getaway sounded perfect! I was dreaming of a road trip the other day too. I'm headed to Oregon at least in my mind =)

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

I have the same sentiments about olympic coverage, I fall asleep. Nevertheless, I wouldn't miss it, I LOVE the olympics.
Your Daisy quilt is so special, you make me cry just reading it, I can say it gets better with time. But it really takes alot of time, I wouldn't have it any easier, I loved my Slide girl and I still miss her when I am blue or not feeling well, she had an amazing sense of how I was feeling.
Hugs, Carrie

Nancy in MT said...

I love, love your memory quilt of Daisy, very special.

Julia said...

I've only seen the womens gymnastics. Our TV is far away from the kitchen/ dining room where I spend most of my time and I am so busy of late I don't really get any time to sit and watch something. I tend to jump on the pc instead *blushes*

I love your memory quilt...love the colours and fabrics you've used. I look forward to seeing it finished :o)

Blessings,
Julia, in New Zealand

Dawn said...

Yes, lots of Olympics watching and stitching. The memory quilt is very special - wonderful.
Great you had a weekend away.
You are such a great cook!

Candace said...

Hey Libby - we have been sweltering on a trip to the East coast and are just now on our way home. I would have much rather been watching the Olympics and eating that yummy shortbread! What a wonderful tribute to Daisy - you'll always have something to remember her by. Sounds like a lovely and well deserved getaway!
Cheers!

Jeanne said...

I love watching the Olympics, but it makes me mad that they air the events I want to see the most so late at night. The memory quilt for Daisy is going to be wonderful.

quiltmom said...

We have been watching lots of Olympics around here. Last week we were away in the mountains of Banff which are the heart of the Canadian Rockies. We love going there- it is a very soothing place to visit. We drove around the mountain lakes, walked a bit and had a marvellous trips to some of the quilt stores in the area.
Your memory quilt is lovely_ I was saddened to hear of Daisy's passing. You did as much as you could to help her and that is all you can do but I am sure that it is still very difficult for you all. Sending you a big cyber hug,
Warmest regards,

Anna

suz said...

Watching the Olympics on On Demand. It seems the only things on when I home are things I'm not really interested in. I love gymnastics and swimming. Your quilt for Daisy is beautiful and such a lovely way to remember her. Glad you had a chance to get away.

Kim said...

Nice getaway. Now I'm wishing for cookies and time to watch the games.
Love Daisy's sweet memory quilt. :)

deb said...

love the little quilt, is it Cheri? the part about the singing, made me cry.........I know how you must feel.........

Stina Blomgren said...

I LOVE your start of Daisys Quilt...it will be a lovely and special quilt... A lot of heart goes into that one so I think it will your best...:0) good of you to take care of each other... Pink sugar... Well that sounded delicious ...:0)

Karen said...

I think your memory quilt of Daisy is the perfect thing to be making. Love those flowers! And the fabric choices.

Pink sugar sounds yummy! I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I could put some on my cereal and banana.

MARCIE said...

What a darling memory quilt that will be for Daisy! And YUM on the Yankee dodgers!