Monday, August 13, 2012

We spent the weekend trying to beat the heat.  Now I understand that heat is a relative thing and in most places the mercury soared much higher than it did in our neck of the woods.  But we are hot just the same and looking for ways to cool down while expending as little effort as possible.  Enter granita
 or at least my version of it.  I ran all the flesh of a seedless watermelon (no rind) through the juicer.  Poured the resulting juicing into this Pyrex dish that has a lid and put it into the freezer.  A little over an hour later, I pulled it out and scraped the forming ice crystals into little pieces.  Throughout the afternoon, I repeated that  scraping process about every hour or so.  After dinner, I served a generous scoop into a bowl.  *mmmm*  Delicious, cool refreshment.  
Most granita recipes seem to call for the addition of sugar, maybe some water and a squeeze or two of citrus.   Do so if you wish, but my results were just fine with only the watermelon juice.  Enjoy!

16 comments:

The Civil War Quilter said...

I've never heard of granita before. I'll have to give it a try. It looked delicious!

Karen said...

Looks yummy and refreshing - just like a snowcone - loved those as a kid :). We've had some cooler temps and can I tell ya - heavenly :).

Darlene said...

OMG, I haven't had granita in years! I looks yummy and refreshing. I'll be by later. LOL

Shakerwood said...

I'm guessing you don't have a/c? We go from the a/c house to the a/c car to the a/c store so as long as we are inside somewhere, we are good to go. The granita looks like a good alternative, though.

pembrokeshire lass said...

Sounds lovely. Must try it. Joan

WoolenSails said...

I like that idea, simple and something I can eat, will have to try it.

Debbie

Beth said...

I get veggie and fruit boxes delivered from Farm Fresh to You and they always have a recipe that uses something in the box, last time was a catalope granita, theirs called for 1/4 cup sugar and some lemon juice, it was good!

Paula, the quilter said...

If I can ever stay home long enough, I'll try this as it sounds wonderfully cool and refreshing.

~Niki~ said...

looks refreshing!
it's been 115 here! hot hot hot

~Niki~ said...

looks refreshing!
it's been 115 here! hot hot hot

Karen said...

I have never heard of granita. Maybe a splash of tequila would be good in it.
How is the puppy training going?

Barb said...

Looks delicious and refreshing! Stay Cool -
It's also a pretty color of pink :)

Linnie Quilts said...

Looks delicious and easy ... I'm in!

Carrie P. said...

when I saw your photo from you blog on another blog I thought to myself, "that looks like granita"
sure enough that is what you made.
I am doing a post tomorrow about watermelon granita. My first time making it. I did add sugar and lime juice. It is so good.

Dawn said...

Yum. Not only is it pretty - i bet it tasted great.
So ready to get past this heat.
You are cool ;-) so stay cool...

Candace said...

Does that ever look good! How is little Larkin doing?
Cheers!