Wednesday, September 26, 2012

It's a bundt! A very memorable scene from the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding and a scene that I have been playing over and over in my head this morning.  With The Princess' wedding date getting closer and closer that scene has taken on all sort of nuance to me.  Hubby and I have put out an invitation to our new extended family (and, of course, the family we've had all our lives) along with the bridal party for an informal brunch the morning after the wedding.
It sounds like such a lovely idea and I have been talking about it for months now.  Then last week I sat down and made a list of those likely to join us.  30!  *wowza*  We have been but a family of three.  Extended family has had our holiday table swell to as many as 10 on a given year.  30!  I had better get planning.
At Costco this last weekend, I saw a package in the bakery section with a loaf of banana bread, a loaf of pound cake and a loaf of pumpkin bread.  Wouldn't that be a yummy addition to our table?  But the more I thought about it, the more I just wanted to do my own baking.  I have tried and true recipes for banana bread and pumpkin bread, but pound cake is new to me.  I set out to find a recipe and remembered something about a pound cake in a Ruth Reichl book or so I thought.
I finally found the recipe in the book Garlic and Sapphires.  It is actually called Nicky's Vanilla Cake and is baked in a bundt pan rather than a loaf pan. I gathered the ingredients, dug out my mom's vintage (check out that harvest gold finish) bundt pan and got to work.
It was very easy to make and the house smells heavenly.  I'm going to leave it to the Quilt Pals to do the official taste testing tonight when we get together.  If it passes the Pal Test of Approval, I will bake a couple more to put in the freezer along with the breads to serve with our brunch.  
In other news, in case anyone thought I forgot that this was once a blog that features quilts - I have a finish! *ta da*
 I finished Daisy's memory quilt yesterday afternoon.  Using inspiration from a Cheri Payne quilt for the design, I did the applique, stitchery and quilting by hand.  In addition to the outline quilting, I also quilted in Daisy's initials, her birth date and the date of her passing.  In the borders, I quilted the words Snacks - Snow - Snuggles - Sticks  Just a few of her most favorite things.  It's backed with a daisy printed flannel fabric that is soft and snugly - just like Daisy!

30 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I've never made pound cake, but I used mom's old bundt pan all the time. I used it so much that the inside was a mess and I had to get a new one. Daisy's little quilt is a nice memorial.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Such a sweet memory quilt, It brought tears to my eyes. I love it.

The baked breads look very yummy!

Sharon said...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/perfect-pound-cake/
I'm sure your cake is excellent but for another option....
You MUST try this recipe. I've never made these before but I tried this cuz is sounded kind of fun, and it's been a huge hit every time I've served it.

McIrish Annie said...

Love your quilt, the leaves on the flowers remind me of your fence around the yard. I'm sure you remember hubby digging the moat to keep her inside the fence~

I have a bundt pan like yours but it is avacado green~!

Kathy said...

LOL - loved that line in the movie. Hope your new extended family is more harmonious.

I didn't use to have a bundt pan, and my son came home from school one day saying he needed to take a bundt cake to calculus later in the week. Why? They needed it to measure the area of it. (I guess that would be a challenge with all the dips, etc). So I went to Wal-Mart and got a bundt pan and looked online for a recipe. It was a triple chocolate cake - it had chocolate pudding, chocolate chips and cocoa in it. Oh, yeah, and sour cream and butter, too. I didn't taste it, but he said it was really good. The pan came home but none of the cake did! If you want something like that, look online under bundt cake recipes! And now his class knows how to measure the area of a bundt cake - I don't know if that will help them in real life, but I was glad to be a part of it.

Lori said...

The cake looks good and its' nice that your quilt pals can taste test. You know they'll be honest too;-)

Ah Daisy. The remembrance quilt is so sweet.

KC Quilter said...

Daisy's memory quilt is so so sweet. What a special thing to do!

WoolenSails said...

I love the piece you made for Daisy and the song is so perfect for the piece and her.

Debbie

Karen said...

The memorial quilt is perfect. Something that is very much your style yet represents Daisy.

I wondered when I read about the baked goods in the package. I thought for sure you would do your own baking and I was right. I have never made a pound cake but think they are so yummy. Good choice.

Candace said...

Ohhhh - I gotta try me that recipe, Libby - looks SO good! What a lovely memorial quilt for Daisy.
Cheers!

Angie said...

That pound cake looks yummy! I bet it will taste as good as it looks too. Sweet Daisy's quilt is so precious.

Linnie Quilts said...

Baked goods look nice; wish I was part of your group doing the taste testing! The memorial quilt is a GREAT idea and well done. Sweet Daisy girl ....

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful tribute quilt...adorable like daisy and filled with loving memories.

Tina said...

Daisy's memory quilt is just wonderful. I still think about her even though I never actually met her - I fell in love with her pictures that you posted. You are a wonderful pet owner.

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Your pound cake smells wonderful just looking at it!!
Love your memory quilt, Daisy approves I'm sure! Hugs, Carrie

AnnieO said...

The breads all sound delish! 30 peeps, bah! That's only a few more than normal :)

Daisy's quilt is so sweet, just like she was :)

sewprimitive karen said...

What a nice Daisy quilt. And there's nothing like a tasty Bundt, yum.

Me and My Stitches said...

Love your little quilt, and especially love the quilted words. Pound cake is my very most favorite cake - I don't make it often, because I could seriously eat the whole thing. I make mine in an angel food cake pan. If you want the recipe, send me an e-mail, I would be happy to share it with you. Yum - that sounds soooo good!

Dawn said...

Love the little quilt - very sweet.
Your baking will be a big hit! Yup, I moved the bundt pan ;-)

MARCIE said...

Very sweet indeed! I am having trouble picturing Daisy on the seat of a bike, but sweet nevertheless!
I haven't made pound cake for years. As I recall it was supposed to weigh about a pound, or something like that, back in the olden days. Your bundt version is very pretty. I am sure it was a hit! Have fun with all your company!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Hmmmm, I have a brand new bundt pan in my cupboard. Maybe I'll make my first pound cake! A sweet quilt for a sweet girl.

terry said...

Dromadary (sp) used to put out a boxed (horrors) pound cake mix. I used to make this at least once a week and it was delicious - used to take it into work. For extra zip I used to add chopped walnuts - boy I can taste it now. Everyone, especially the men loved it. Will have to go shopping for this mix and get out my bundt cake.

Yours looks yummy too and love Daisy's memorial quilt.

Terry

Loris said...

Such a sweet quilt. The flowers are so fun and charming...just like Daisy. She's always in my heart.

Nancy in MT said...

Sure do love Daisy's memory quilt. I haven't had one of those bundt cakes in ages, always loved them regardless of the calories. n

Dixie said...

Pound cake is so delicious - my Dad's favorite cake, and so good at any time! Your sweet quilt for Daisy is so touching. Its so nice to have new family once your kids get married - we are sure enjoying ours, and the holidays will be so much sweeter this year!

Carol said...

Oh Libby Daisy quilt is precious, just like she was. Perfect tribute.
Yummy cake, I can almost smell it. What fun! ENJOY!

Stina Blomgren said...

LOVE....your Daisy Quilt!!!!!
It is the greatest idea...

Ellen in Oregon said...

You owe me a box of Kleenex. Your Daisey quilt is the most endearing tribute I have ever seen ( I think this may be the 1st time I have used the word endearing, but it seems to described what you have created).
I think the name pound cake came from the fact that the basic ingredients each weighed about 1 pound. I have a bunt cake pan just like yours that I inherited from my Mom. Around 1970 when Pillsbury came out with a bunt mix that had a tunnel of fudge filling and gave away similar pans as part of the promotion. At least that's what I recall. A cake that you could put a filling into was very high tech back then. The pan works well, but I found you have to really grease and flour it if you want to get the cake out in one piece. The PAM with flour in it works well too. You are very smart to make as much of your food ahead of time so you can relax a little and enjoy the brunch yourself.

Guðrún said...

The memory quilt is a beautiful reminder of your precious girl.

Melanie said...

I just love bundt pans. My mom always says if the bundt cake sticks-- it's cause company is company - Always seemed to happened.;)

Love the memory quilt...still makes me teary thinking about it. Ripley is 4 months old now-- can't imagine him not being around.... Hugs from the U.P.