Thursday, September 20, 2012

Shoes, glorious shoes!  I'm a girl and I love shoes - I always have loved shoes.  Coming of age in the 70's, I grew up wearing all kinds of shoes from 'chukka boots' to wood soled wedges to some of THE cutest spectator lace up platforms known to mankind!  Along came the 80's and I found myself wearing pumps of all heights and colors.  In the 90's I had a love affair with Steve Madden that lingers to this day.  And I had a pair of the original Simple clogs that I wore until they just no longer even resembled shoes.
As the 90's came to a close, I left the work force and swore off heels and pantyhose for life.  I still enjoy a good looking shoe, but my closet is filled with comfort.  For everyday wear -
flip flops.  Reef, Teva, Cobian - comfortable and supportive.
When the weather is a bit cooler it's all about the Uggs.
For walking, I only wear Brooks.
For most anything in between, I can get along with these Kalso Earth Mary Janes.  (A brand I have loved since the 70's)
   
 If you haven't guessed by now, I am a rather casual gal.  Even my dressiest occasions are pretty tame.  Enter The Princess' pending nuptials.  Now I joked (a lot) in the beginning that I was just going to buy a new pair of jeans and a white hoodie pullover to wear at the wedding - it is my signature look.  I have been rockin' it since junior high.  You can tell that's a long time because junior high doesn't even exist anymore.  Now everyone goes to middle school.  
While I was 'joking' I was a little hopeful that maybe my plan would be okay.  It was not.  So I found a dress that I liked (and was approved by the bride-to-be) and a pair of shoes.
Cute, but not really comfortable.  It has been a l-o-n-g time since I have worn heels of any sort.  I told myself I would put them on and wear them every day while I made the bed.  Just enough walking to hopefully become accustomed to wearing them by the big day.  Just putting them on made my feet hurt, so they stayed in the box in the closet.
So I ordered these beauties  . . .
Aye chi mama!  Like Cinderella's Ugly Step-sisters, I couldn't even begin to squeeze my feet into them.  Back they went. And I ordered these -
Better(ish) but they squeezed the toes on my right (and larger foot) in a way that made me squint funny.  Is this the face I want immortalized for all time in the wedding photos?   Maybe.  Hubby and The Princess both really like them - as do I, except for the discomfort.  I just planned to suck it up in the name of making everyone happy.  But as the day draws nearer, I found I could NOT stay off of zappos.com
Yesterday these beauties arrived on our doorstep.
They are cute.  They fit.  They don't hurt.  And I love them!  Oh  . . . and they make me 6' tall.   Guess what I was wearing when I vacuumed this morning?  I only have a month to learn to walk gracefully while trying to not get a nosebleed from the lack of oxygen at those giddy heights.

24 comments:

Karen said...

A delightful read today. I haven't worn a pair of heels in years and years. Now I am afraid to even attempt since I have had two knee replacements. I would be so afraid of tripping and doing damage. You are a brave soul.

Strlady said...

When my daughter got married last year, my shoes were the worst thing to buy. I am all about finding one pair that I like and then getting them in brown and black. I have my sneakers, some Merrells, and sandals. my work shoes all look the same. I finally found some peep toe shoes that allowed me to look presentable for about 4 hours. Then, I was dying. Good luck with breaking them in! I wish I would have thought of that!

Tina said...

LOL!! I think we grew up in the same era. I too, loved shoes, shoes, shoes!! And since I retired, I'm wearing flip-flops all the time with tennis shoes (do they still call them that?) thrown in when needed. I had an event to go to and spent FOUR hours digging through my closet trying to find some comfortable 4-inch heels. I ended up wearing flats so I could actually walk around and the great thing was, was that I okay with that once I wrapped my brain around the fact that I'm in my 50s and stiletto heels are no longer going to be a part of my life....sigh. I was also real happy that I could walk the following day! Great looking shoes, by the way, from Zappos (love that store!)

Sue said...

Well those are all such lovely shoes. So what kind of heel do the ones at the bottom have? I can't wear heels any longer. I'm with you on the jeans and hoodie thing. That's my comfort and joy :D I try to wear my flip-flops until my toes are numb from the cold as I just hate wearing socks:/

Sue said...

I think we all get to the stage where we are built for comfort and not for speed.
Enjoy your new shoes .

IzzyR said...

Oh well if the shoe fits LOL ! But if it doesn't you don't want to wear it..
I ended up wearing strappy evening sandals in order to be pain free. I knew I would dance, be on my feet a lot . We had a long receiving line to stand in too..Also a long dress . Is your dress long ?

Diane said...

Love, all the shoes you've auditioned.
2 summers ago I nearly broke my neck trying to dance in high heels at a wedding.
my son's recent wedding was outdoors and casual (whew!) but when/if my daughter weds and it's formal-er I'm thinking low heel or sequined flip flops, as long as she approves of course!

Kindred Quilts said...

You had me at "shoes, glorious shoes..." Hope wearing them while running the vacuum does the trick! Long live Zappos.com!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

This is hysterical! I picture you teetering around trying to make the bed and falling onto the bed! LOL
I could never pull this off for sure! Don't know what I'll do if my offspring ever decide to do something crazy like get married!

Linnie Quilts said...

I was my sister's maid of honor about 30 years ago and wore a pair of shoes which I loved, looked perfect with the dress, were expensive and KILLED my feet. I was absolutely certain I would be able to weather the pain for the few hours (it was an early wedding with a brunch afterwards). WRONG!! I couldn't walk for DAYS afterwards, had blisters that almost required medical attention and, I swear, to this day dictates my choice of shoes ... think 3rd Grade Nun type shoes! As Sue said ... we're built for comfort, not speed (or beauty) at my age (63).

Dixie said...

You are too cute! Glad you found some shoes you like and that are comfortable. Before Jamie's wedding, Jim, Jamie and I went to Broadway Shoes, and Jamie picked out a pair for me. Her "those make your calves look really hot" comments were priceless. Needless to say, I didn't buy those shoes as I wanted to have fun and be comfortable.. :)

Jenny M said...

If and when our daughter gets married I can only hope that she keeps to her idea of the perfect wedding spot....on a beach. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the shoes!
Good luck with wearing yours.

AnnieO said...

Heels and I have never been frequent friends--I am already 5'9" so don't really need to be six feet. However, I'm not as casual as you are in footgear :) Your heel choices definitely look high, but wearing them for a few weeks should help! I bought mine two weeks before the wedding and they hurt by several hours into the reception. By the time dancing started I had changed them to a favorite sandal but no one cared, of course. So my advice is to bring a pair of low shoes to change into--but not flips or Uggs!!

Sharon said...

Love your final choice. I LOVE shoes, but I too, have moved into the comfort zone.

Kathie said...

OMG thanks for the laugh this morning I don't even want to think about shoes like that!
someday I am sure I will have to but hopefully not too soon have fun vacuuming will it be an everyday occurrence to you learn how to walk in them?
Kathie

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

You are so brave to wear heels. At both of my kids weddings I wore shoes with just a small heel. I knew I would trip and fall with bigger heels and that would not be good!

Lori said...

Cute! But I cannot see the heel!!

quiltsbycheri said...

oh i am so totally with you, Greg is getting an award at a swanky event in New York City....Black Tie!!! need i say more, having totally been doing the dress, shoes and Spanx!!! looking for awhile now times two since they are nicely sending us to a Broadway Show also!!!! you know me very casual and a flip flop girl way out of my comfort zone!!!!

WoolenSails said...

You had me, till the dress shoes, lol. I wear sneakers, flips, boots, but nothing with heels. The last dress shoes I had were flats and those got too tight, so I guess I need to figure out some new ones. I do like dress boots for the winter, to wear with midi's.

Debbie

Ellen in Oregon said...

I loved all of the shoes you selected and was happy to see that you found some great looking ones that are not torture devices for your feet. Just wanted to say that the black pair from Zappos could easily have adjusted to fit your larger foot. Almost everyone has one foot that is a 1/2 size larger or smaller. So the chance of finding any pair that works great for both feet is slim. I always take the smaller shoe or a pair that is tight in the toe-box to the shoe repair shop to be stretched to fit perfectly. If you don't have a shoe repair shop (getting hard to find these days) most shoe store have the stretcher and will do it for a couple of $. Why suffer needlessly!

Candace said...

Great shoe parade, Libby! You deserve a medal even thinking about putting on heels! I think you'll be very happy with your final choice, but just in case, take an old pair of Brooks, dot some crystals on them and throw them in a bag just is case (wink)!
Cheers!

MARCIE said...

Good for you Libby and the sacrifice you are making for the Princess. Not even a wedding could make me put on heels anymore. I see women wearing these tall spikes and realize that part of me, the part that cares, died a long time ago. LOL! Live free or die! I heard that somewhere.

suz said...

This was too funny. I give you serious credit for those shoes - how high is the heel? I couldn't have even considered any of the black ones, as cute as they are, heels and I don't get along. I live in Mary Jane Crocs at work, sneakers and sandels outside work and my LLBean boots (ugly, but warm and functional in a NH winter). Can't wait to see your dress!

Chris said...

OMG! I completely relate to this post! The Husband bemoans my divorce from heels. He keeps hoping I will have a change of heart and give him some sort of runway walk in heels. It's good for him to have dreams!! I love your final choice, I actually loved all of them. You're a good mom. I'll have to remember this in case my sons ever get married and need me to look like a Lady.