Friday, October 12, 2012

Rainy days and Thursdays always mean quilting time.  Okay, not exactly a great song lyric but there's truth in it just the same. First I lit the fireplace.
 Then laid out the remaining puzzle pieces for the hexagon star quilt and got busy stitching.
This is all I have left to put together and I will be done Done DONE!!!!! with the top.  That's right, folks - the very next time you visit this blog it will feature a finished hexagon star quilt top.  Seven years in the making (three plus of those years where not a stitch was taken)  How long will it take to quilt it? 
When I pulled out the camera to take pictures, I discovered that some photos had been languishing there for nearly a month!  *shame on me*  Seems I have been relying on my camera phone lately.  When I posted the picture of the 'wedding quilt' I got some queries for more detailed photos that I didn't think I had.  So here are a few details (that I enhanced in an odd way via Picassa to show the design more clearly)
And finally a look at the whole-ish quilt with the binding stitched down (some of it is lopped over the fence) before it went in the wash.
And last but not least there were several of these.
 I was very nervous that the quilt would somehow disintegrate in the machine and I wanted proof of it's existence.  I am sure I will have the very same anxious moments with those hexagons but it will be a while before we know for sure.

16 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I need to work on my hexagons, but at this rate, I might just do the start design and then add around that and make it into a full quilt for next year.

Debbie

AnnieO said...

Hooray for the last hexie! What a long and fruitful journey you have had with this one :) Thanks for the shots of the wedding quilt. Had to laugh at the dryer one!

Kindred Quilts said...

Looking forward to your next post with the hexagon star quilt top completely done... it will be worth the wait!

Julierose said...

Am pulling out my "pansey" hexagons as I speak; I don't know how I'll put them together as yet--BUT I am awed by your star hexagon quilt. Good for you--WOW! Julierose

Sue said...

What lovely hand quilting on your whole cloth quilt. Just beautiful.

I am anxious to see your completed hexagon quilt. It inspires me to get out my old GFG.

NanaNor's said...

Breathtaking is the only word for your wedding quilt. I know what you mean about be scared of washing the quilts for fear something will happen. I think your puzzle quilt will be very interesting-unlike anything I've seen. Have a great weekend.
Noreen

MARCIE said...

I can't believe I have been watching you make those hexagons for seven years! Imagine what I could have done in that amount of time. I am truly thrilled that you are finishing it. It is an amazing quilt! And the wedding quilt! Oh Libby what a beauty! That is a heck of a lot of stitching! Nice job!

Susie Q said...

Hi Libby I love the quilt and Larkin is just so cute. Thanks for sharing. Susie x

Quilter Kathy said...

Looking forward to the big announcement!
So fun to see the details of your whole cloth quilt...very beautiful!

Lori said...

Wow! I know the hexagon quilt will be stunning!
Love the white on white quilt. Lovely quilting!!

Karen said...

I think you should host a party and invite all of us over to see the hexagon quilt in person. Then you could hear our applause because I know it is going to be a good quilt. Have you given any thought to making the hexie quilt like Barb shows in her blog header?

Loris said...

A cool almost finish! I was tempted by hexies in wool today. Keeping it in my mind.
Hope the wedding quilt washed up safely. It's beautiful!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Beautiful wedding quilt ~ great idea for showing the detail so we could see the design better ... thank you! You do lovely, lovely work ;-) I keep saying I need to start a "hexi" project because I need something to carry around to work on when traveling or away from the machine ... but then I get "scared" because it seems like it takes years to complete ... but then no one said it's a race, right? Great post ....

Barb said...

so how did the quilt come out?
The hexie project looks great -
I love raining quilting days too

Guðrún said...

The wedding quilt is stunning, will you share a picture when it has been washed?

Stina Blomgren said...

The weddingquilt is stunning...all that quilting is just wonderful....you have done a fantastic job on the quilt...the happy couple are going to love it...well done!!:0)