Monday, October 01, 2012

When last we met, I shared a quilting finish.  It has been a long time coming to finish anything it seems.  Lots of starts and not many finishes.  So it seemed it was time to assess the collection of projects yet not done.  I have a healthy pile that I have ordered and I'm ready to start tackling.  If you've been with me for at least the last three years, you may remember this -
Hexagon Stars - the photograph is from three mailing addresses ago.  I put this one aside in favor of Martha Washington's Flower Garden because I wanted a bed sized hexagon quilt in just the worst way.  In the greater scheme of things, I am really quite close to having a completed top.  I just need to work out the odd pieces to fill in the edges, which is rather like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.
This is a corner piece all laid out and ready to be stitched together.  Let me just say that this is the perfect project to work on during this resurgence of hot weather.  It can easily be carried out to the patio for some shaded relief in the hottest part of the afternoon.  About the time these last pieces are assembled into a top, the weather will have cooled enough to make it pleasant to hold the whole quilt in my lap for hand-quilting.
A bright spot when it comes to the weather is that it's perfect for tea dyeing muslin.
I did just that with a couple of yards on Saturday afternoon.  It will be ready and waiting when I decide to take on a new project.  I know my resolve to only work on unfinished projects will only hold for so long.  Something 'shiny' with catch my eye  . . . and I will be ready.

23 comments:

quiltsbycheri said...

oh yes this heat is perfect tea-dying weather, have three little quilts out there drying right now......

Linnie Quilts said...

I have never tea-dyed before. Is it hard? Do you have any resources you can share with me as to the process? Looks like something I would LOVE ... your hexi quilt is BEAUTIFUL!

Karen said...

Oh how well I remember your hexagon quilt. You inspired me to purchase the little pieces. I have never done a thing with them because you started the quilt with the bigger hexagons and I think that is what I would rather do.

WoolenSails said...

That is a gorgeous quilt and I know how many pieces and hours you must have put into it. Love how your tea stained came out.

Debbie

Cathi said...

I remember your hexagon stars! That is well on its way to becoming a stunning quilt.

Sue said...

WEll I don't think I've been following you long enough to remember your hexagon quilt, but it's a beauty. I've been slowly working on my GFG for our bed. I'll probably get it finished by the time I'm ready for the nursing home :P

Dawn said...

I just love this quilt! Well...and so many of yours ;-)
Beautiful.

Cammie said...

WOW!That hexagon quilt is gorgeous!! I just happened to stumble across your blog and happy that I did! I am not a quilter, but both my parents are so I appreciate all the work that goes into them!! ~Cammie~

*karendianne. said...

Hexagons in Stars! Oh my heart.

Tea tying fun, too!

AnnieO said...

Glad to see that glorious almost-put-in-the-bin hexie project. Puzzles are good to play with while enjoying fresh air--I'm sure you'll get all the edges worked out soon. Tea dyed fabric isn't shiny but very useful anyway!

Texan said...

I love seeing your Hex projects! Yours are always stunning! I have one going as well. Its a Star with the traditional Flower Garden. I have been working some on it again as of late. :O).

The new pup at our house is now 12 months old (4 months new to us) he is well over 100lbs. LOL The Vet tells me he will be full grown by age 2. ummmm ok...LOL He is great no pun intended (Great Pyrenees) we sure love him. Hows the newbie doing at your house? She was getting used to her crate last I knew?

Quilter Kathy said...

I know exactly what you mean! I am happy that this quilt has caught your eye again...it's amazing...love the colours and the layout...YUM YUM! Enjoy!

IzzyR said...

My son has been married 5 yrs now and still no wedding quilt. Talk about lagging behind :) I remember that quilt but did you have another one similar to it that you finished in New England ??

Paula, the quilter said...

Gosh that hexie quilt is STILL a beauty.

Grit said...

That is fantastic. I love Hexagonquilts.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Sherri said...

This is absolutely stunning!

ranette said...

One of the prettiest hexagon quilts I've ever seen. Just love it.

Mimi said...

Your hexagon quilt is still one of my favorites!

Heidi Kuijer said...

What a beauty!!! I just love this quilt and remember seeing it on your blog.

I just tea dyed muslin last week. It came out so nice and I am using it to line bags. I have never tried a piece that big. How did you manage it? Soak it in a bucket? And how did you dry it as I bake mine in the oven. It would be wonderful to use a piece like that as a quilt backing.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

MARCIE said...

My heart palpitates at the sight of your hexagon quilt! So you are that close to being done? So much time and effort! I won't say work, cause I know you love doing it--but the time it takes! Wow! Good for you! Can I PIN it, or are you frowning on that?

Guðrún said...

Yes I remember this one and I love it. I am not surprised that it is not finished both that it is a lot of work and also that in the meantime you have finished another gorgeous hexagon quilt!

Karen said...

remember it well...no more words, just a huge sigh at it's gorgeous-ness!
:-)

Kate2962 said...

Hi what size are your hexagons? Your quilt it beautiful I too am making a star quilt been on it for years too
Thanks
Catherine