Monday, November 12, 2012


I'll be 'going off the grid' for the next little bit.  In anticipation of this, I have been working on putting together a portable bit of handwork that covers a range of projects to  keep me busy.
First I decided on some knitting. KNITTING?
I have very rudimentary knowledge of knitting - I can cast on with the help of YouTube.  I know how to accomplish one stitch.  I have had the pattern Ewe Old Bags by Lynda Hall for years now, but have been flummoxed by just how to get from knitting the bottom of the bag to knitting in the round.  I studied, I pondered, I thought, I consulted Hubby for ideas and then just went for it and I did it!  While I love (LOVE) the idea of knitting my own socks, I know that I will never take on such a project.  But I do think that this project is perfect for me - it's rhythmic, relaxing and relatively mindless now that I've got all of those stitches on the needles.
Also in my basket of portable tricks are some more applique blocks from Folk Art Gathering by Cheri Payne.
I am nothing if not determined to get this quilt done.  I've been working on it for so long, but my love for it never wanes.  
Another project that is easy to take along is punch needle.  Though I haven't pulled them out for some time, I have the needle and the hoop on hand.  So I started surfing the 'net for a kit or two that I could take along.
I landed on Country Threads website where I found a wide range available.  As I prepared to place my order, I read the fine print which indicated that it could take up to two weeks for my order to arrive. *yikes*  That wasn't going to work.  Well, I picked up the phone and gave the shop a call.  I explained my plight and offered to pay any extra for express shipping.  No need.  My order went out that day (Thursday) and was in my mailbox on Saturday. 
To round out my basket of fun, I'll bring along the hexagon top that I've been quilting on.  A few snacks, a water bottle, my Kindle and a paperback book (just in case).  I should be able to keep myself busy and out of trouble.  When I'm back I hope to have lots of fun stories to tell, a book review or two, and maybe even some completed projects to share.  TTFN.

23 comments:

Angie said...

Your basket of goodies sounds so fun, Libby! Relax and Enjoy. We'll be here when you get back. :)

Shakerwood said...

Ohhhh! And I'm just getting back for a well deserved (IMHO) break and ready to chat again. Have a super time and I'll be here waiting!

quiltsbycheri said...

Libby with all you've packed sounds like you're going to be a busy, relaxing and joyful bee.......have fun

Sharon said...

Have fun "off the grid" Sounds like a wonderful way to take time for yourselves.

WoolenSails said...

Great projects to take along. I have a mini lap frame for punching and it collapses, so great for trips. I usually do up pennies and stitchery is a great project to take along. I just draw up some designs on muslim, some black thread and a needle and you are all set, lol. I hope this is a pleasure trip?

Debbie

AnnieO said...

Someday I may take up knitting again and would surely start with something simple like you are venturing forward with. I also want to try needlepunch but for now quilting and embroidery are taking up enough space! Have fun "off the grid" :)

sewprimitive karen said...

No No Libby do not go off the grid! (Is that anything like going off the fiscal cliff?)

Kathie said...

well I hope you have a great time doing all the things you love...we all need time off sometimes to rejuvenate ourselves, if yours includes a trip too have fun :)
can't wait to hear where you went!
LOL
Kathie

Quilter Kathy said...

have a great time on your excursion! You have everything you need right there!

Lori said...

It sounds like you are set! have fun!!

Melanie said...

Check in when you can--Blessings....
hope you get tons of stitching done.

Paula, the quilter said...

Have fun and relax. Do you know about Odysseus and Penelope? When he went off on his odyssey she stayed behind. For 20 years she kept the suitors at bay. One way was to unravel at night the weaving she had done during the day. I always think of Penelope when I unravel knitting and it makes me feel better. Kind of a strange analogy, but remember that if you make a mistake, it is only knitting.

Carol said...

What a wonderful basket of fun! ENJOY your break! We'll be here when you get back...waiting to see what fun stuff you did! Take care!

Karen said...

Sounds like you plan on being gone at least 6 months with all those projects! I hope you have an enjoyable time.
I will never knit socks either but can knit in the round. I made one of those wool knitted bags that you felt after it is made. Never did anything with it. I will enjoy yours from afar.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Well deserved break but you will be missed. I, too, am intrigued with knitting as a travel project but like those mittens/gloves without the fingers ... but then we need those here in Northern Michigan ... perhaps I'll give them a try! Looking forward to your return already! Linda

Carolyn said...

Enjoy the break, can't wait to see what you accomplish!

annie said...

have a great time!

Candace said...

Have a great time, Libby! After all the wedding prep and planning - you deserve it!
Cheers!

McIrish Annie said...

don't know where you're headed but have a safe trip. Look forward to seeing your completed knitted bag!

Sarah said...

We'll miss you. As to socks, give them a try when you have gained more confidence. If you can read directions and have YouTube, you shouldn't have any problem.

Lucy said...

oohh Libby, I'm off the grid al for weeks and I have to admit that I'm feeling very good about it!

Jenny Watson said...

Wow you did great work thanks for sharing and keep it up.

Military Challenge Coins

Hashim Aamla said...

All the designs are amazing you did great job just keep up the good work.


Villas in Tuscany