Monday, December 24, 2012

Holiday Traditions -  old and new - that's what keeps the season special.  This Christmas is full of firsts for us this year, many fun and exciting like celebrating with our new son-in-law and his extended family.  Some strange and different, such as not much in the way of decorations around the house.  The good news is I can enjoy some of my favorites like this quilt by going back through old blog posts.
This is one of my most favorite quilts, Christmas or not.  I took a class at Fat Quarters Quilt Shop with Cheri Payne with two of my quilt pals.  It was an all day class and I remember being SO excited about this quilt that I came home and stitched on it until beyond midnight  so I could get it finished and hung on the wall right away.
Traditions around our home also tend to revolve around foods - things we only enjoy during the holidays and usually decadent.  Those decadent foods have had to go by the wayside, but I can see no reason we should be left eating gruel  while huddled in the corner.  Instead I am working to recreate some of our favorites in a 'heart healthy' way.
Breakfast on Christmas morning is always a strata - so easy to prepare ahead of time and then *pop* in the oven while the family is opening gifts.  Check out this recipe that I have always used and you will quickly see why it shouldn't be part of our festivities any longer.  I just couldn't let strata go.  So I came up with this alternative recipe:
4 slices whole grain low sodium bread 
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 can diced green chiles
a splash of non-fat half and half
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
shredded sharp cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro for garnish
Spray three individual oven-proof dishes with Pam.  Cube the bread slices and distribute evenly among the dishes.  In a small mixing bowl combine the eggs, egg whites, dry mustard, half and half and green chiles.  Pour the mixture over cubed bread.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour up to over night.  Pre-heat oven to 350, remove plastic wrap and bake strata for 30 minutes until eggs are set and the edges of the bread is browning and crunchy.  Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro just before serving.  Some sliced fresh fruits and maybe even some turkey bacon will round out your breakfast.
(photo before baking)
 Okay, time to get off the computer and get back in the kitchen.  I'm going to try out a chocolate cake recipe that will be topped with 7-minute frosting (always a favorite for me)
Merry Christmas everyone!  I hope you and yours make lots of merry!

16 comments:

AnnieO said...

Mixing in new family members is exciting and can be a bit uneasy at the same time--glad you are making it work. The quilt is beautiful, and so are your efforts at heart healthy recipes! Sounds delish. Enjoy and savor this amazing year you have all had! Merry Christmas!

Darlene said...

Merry Christmas, Libby!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Blessings of a Merry Christmas to you and your entire family ... God bless!

Quilt Hollow said...

Merry Christmas...a real blessing in your home!

annie said...

Merry Christmas!

quiltsbycheri said...

Enjoy your Christmas intertwining the old with the new.......

WoolenSails said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Debbie

Angie said...

Merry Christmas, Libby, from our house to yours. I am delighted that Hubby is doing so well---and I may have to check out that cookbook. The strata looks so yummy. :) Sending hugs for that beautiful picture-uncooperative furbaby. :)

Paula, the quilter said...

Merry Christmas, Libby. I found myself not decorating as much this year, too. I like the simplicity.

Melanie said...

Merry Christmas-- catching up here---I love the 'new you'. I just know Hubby is sailing back to good health--- but how about you? Are you and Larkin liking the new lifestyle??? We as Americans use for for entertainment. You are mastering the art of making in healthy entertainment.

Julie in the Barn said...

Thanks for the strata recipe, Libby. The one I use is definitely not heart healthy with lots of fontina cheese and sausage. Happy Holidays!

*-* said...

I hope you had a great Christmas. I love our family traditions, some from my childhood,some from my DH 's family & others of my own.
I love the quilt, such a great feeling to have a completion, & for festive celebrations.
Thanks for the strata recipe. Being in the southern hemisphere, we have something coolish for breakfast. Mainly, lean ham on wholemeal toast, with grain mustard, along with champers & orange juice, while opening our gifts.
Best wishes to you and yours over the Christmas Season.
Kay.

Jenny Watson said...

Thank you very much for sharing such nice information dear.

Villas for Rent in Italy

leesa jhon said...

Wow! looking tasty thanks for the sharing.

Luxury Villas Italy

Mary said...

We have a similar strata recipe but ours also has a pound of sausage. I've renamed it Cholesterol Killer Christmas Casserole. I have a small serving on Christmas morning and call it good! But I didn't just have heart surgery, either. Traditions do have to evolve. I hope you had a very merry Christmas!

Barb said...

Merry Christmas Libby!
your strada sounds good. I've never made 7 minute frosting. I'll have to check it out -