Monday, January 07, 2013

As quilters, we enjoy not only the fruit of our craft but also the sharing.  The making and giving of a quilt is not only a gift of the hand but a gift of the heart.  It matters not if the pattern and design are simple or difficult, if the fabrics are purchased from the latest designs at the quilt shop or culled from the recesses of your scrap bin.  Rather it's the investment of time that imbues that quilt with love for its intended recipients.
But gifts of the heart are not limited quilts.  They can come in many forms and sometimes from the most unexpected of sources.  On Christmas, I was the recipient of one of those very precious gifts of the heart.  A little background -
You will remember that I spent a good portion of 2012 working on (and keeping secret) a quilt for The Princess and her Intended as a wedding gift. (You can read the reveal post here.) When Son-in-Law (oh, how I MUST come up with a blog moniker for him) saw the photo of all the stabs to my quilting finger, he was appalled.  I tried to explain that getting that 'poke' on the finger let's me know that my needle had gone through all layers of the quilt, that it's all part of the process.  He wouldn't hear it!
 And so I Christmas Day, I became the lucky recipient of the first ever eThimble!  This thimble is to be worn on the under-the-quilt-hand with the power pack in your lap.  When your needle comes into contact with the thimble there is a little buzz to let you know you are successfully through all the quilt layers.  All while keeping your finger protected from the stabbing damage of that rocking stitch.
What a lucky girl I am to have such a thought-filled gift of the heart and such a Darling Yerno.

18 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hi Libby, This is the first I've heard of this-what a great idea. Over the years, I've developed a callus on my finger underneath and don't worry too much about it. You have a very loving and thoughtful sil. Great post! Let us know how you like this tool.
Hugs, Noreen

Beth said...

That is so sweet and cute!

Angie said...

Wow, this little gizmo is totally new to me---what a wonderful, thoughtful SIL. :)

Cathi said...

What a marvellous idea! I can't wait to hear what you think of it when you use it.

KC Quilter said...

Wowzer! What a neat contraption and what a neat son-in-law!

Lori said...

Oh my gosh, that is so sweet! And yes, I understand those gifts that go beyond thoughtful!!

WoolenSails said...

I have never heard of that, it is too funny and so thoughtful that he found something like that for you.

Debbie

Shakerwood said...

He's a dang genius!!! and a keeper!!!

ps. I vote for Prince since he is married to your Princess.

Sue said...

What a great gift! Now did he make this himself or is this something you can get somewhere? I've never seen anything like it.

What a swell guy!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a cool idea! You are a trend setter! Let us know how you it works out.

Nancy in MT said...

What a clever tool and a most thoughtful man to have taken notice.

Lorraine said...

wow....what a cool (and very thoughtful) gift!

AnnieO said...

That is so sweet and funny! Only a tech lover at heart would come up with a buzzer for the ancient art of stitching! Good man, good man.

Dixie said...

Ah, I love this gift - super thoughtful and so heartfelt! My son-in-law is very reserved, so when I heard that he had suggested the huge America's Test Kitchen cookbook for me (its a huge tome) that is my all time favorite cookbook (checked it out from the library two times already) I was thrilled! Really enjoyed your blog entry today!

Dixie said...

Ah, I love this gift - super thoughtful and so heartfelt! My son-in-law is very reserved, so when I heard that he had suggested the huge America's Test Kitchen cookbook for me (its a huge tome) that is my all time favorite cookbook (checked it out from the library two times already) I was thrilled! Really enjoyed your blog entry today!

Paula, the quilter said...

Now that was a thoughtful gift, even if I've never heard of one before. No more callus!

suz said...

that is amazing! what a good and thoughtful kid he is!

Guðrún Á. Rögnvaldsdóttir said...

Wow, so thoughtful of him.