Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Direct from my design floor.
Proof that there has been actual-honest-to-goodness sewing going on around here.  And I must admit it has been FUN!  For far too long, I have felt as if I have just been going through the motions when it came to quilt projects - as evidenced by the abundance of unfinished projects and mounds of fabric strategically pulled and stacked up for a potential project in hopes of bringing on inspiration.
2013 is the year that I am going to reclaim myself, in a way that I will make time to do things - things that I have wanted to do but found it easier to find excuses not to.  I have signed up for some classes at the local community college.  Two on photography and a brush up of my high school Spanish.  If not now, when?  I am competitive by nature.  Once I determined that I would challenge myself to do this, the rest was easy.
Speaking of a challenge.  There was a 'savings plan' graphic floating around Facebook at the start of the year.  I thought it would be fun and then promptly forgot about it.  Last week Paula - The Quilter shared it again on her blog.
This morning Hubby and I each decided to take on the challenge and ponied up the first four weeks of savings.  In just 48 weeks, we will have a nice little stash that we can use for something fun.  During his recovery time, we developed quite a little Starbucks habit.  Just by cutting that out, we can make this challenge nearly pain-free.  And the fun of spending our bounty (in our minds) all year long will enhance the challenge even more.  Care to join in?


11 comments:

Shakerwood said...

Already on my refrigerator....looking for a jar now to hide my stash in plain sight. Thinking it would be a great Christmas fund around the end of October!

WoolenSails said...

I think I tend to burn out after Christmas, so I do small projects and then I can get back to my quilts. I am always stashing money, I usually do it after the first and hide a bit away and then by the summer I have a little bit to spend on a trip. I also save quarters, you would be surprised how fast those add up and they are great for trips, especially tolls.

Debbie

McIrish Annie said...

Love this little quilt. always goes faster when you are loving it!

The Civil War Quilter said...

I have my method of putting away a little money for summer spending. Everyday I count my change. If I have an odd number of nickels and dimes,the odd goes in the jar.If my quarters don't equal a dollar, they go in the jar. All pennies go in the jar. If I have a single dollar bill, it goes in the jar. It really adds up.

Kathie said...

interesting concept I think it will be easy the first few months but as the amt rises by a lot it would be hard to put that much away each week.
have to think about it!
ok very interested in your photography classes I am actually considering doing that too.
love your latest quilt...glad to see you sewing again.
Kathie

Mary said...

Love your quilt and the money plan, will have to try that one! Hugs, Mary

AnnieO said...

Piecing has reentered your life, yay! And school, yikes! At least those are mostly for fun and enjoyment of learning. I saw that savings thing too and commend you on your start!

Susie Q said...

Hi Libby great savings plan, I am joining and have put away the first four weeks too for DH and I! Thanks for passing this on what a great idea. Love your design floor! Susie x

Melanie said...

Store bought coffee from Starbucks is not an option in our town, but saving definitely is. I'm putting this on the fridge. I don't even know what I'm saving for, but wow-- how wonderful it would be.

Lori said...

Yay! For stepping out and making things happen! I've decided life is much better when I'm doing it and not just watching it go by.
Love your latest quilt.

Illuminatedquilt said...

I think it is a fun idea to do this, I will try it !!! Thanks Libby