Wednesday, January 02, 2013


 Happy New Year!
Only the second day of the new year and already so much is happening.  This morning Hubby returned to work.  It was really hard to say goodbye at the door. We are so thankful that his surgery and recovery went well and with relative easeWe slipped into a very nice daily routine of doing everything together - a sneak peek at our future retirement.  But work is necessary and so he had to go.
What will I fill my day with? 
Tonight is the first Quilt Pals get together of the 2013.  Our fearless leader has set us up for some fun.  Our assignment is to choose 32 fat quarters, cut them into specified strip sizes, place in labeled zip top bags and wait for further instruction.  Using these strips and the addition of other background fabrics, we are going to be making 7 different quilts - each unique and different.  A super-sized mystery for sure.
Yet I am already behind***.  I thought our return date was next week and have procrastinated cutting my strips.  This morning I ironed my chosen fat quarters.  This afternoon I will get those strips cut and add in the assigned background cuts for our first quilt.
In the meantime, I need make a dinner plan.  Ever since 2000, when I joined up with the Quilt Pals, Hubby and I have always opted for an 'every-man-for-himself' dinner plan which usually resulted in picking up fast-food of choice.  Now that that option is off the table, a little more planning is in order, with an eye toward something that holds up well to reheating.  Enter soup.
  
Speedy Chicken Posole to be exact.  We have enjoyed this recipe many times in the past.  Just a few simple adjustments bring it more into line with heart healthy eating - I baked the chicken pieces rather than saute them which eliminated all of the olive oil and I did not add any salt whatsoever.  It tastes just fine without either and the house smells *wonderful*
Each of these things has allowed me to have a little fun with my new toy.  Hubby presented me with an early birthday present last week.  I have been thinking about an SLR camera for some time.  The learning curve will be great to figure out all of the settings.  I'm planning to take a class, but that does not start until February.  In the meantime, I'll just twist and turn things and see what happens.  So far I am enjoying it very much.
Okay, back to work for me  . . . cutting quilt fabric waits for no woman.

***Update:  even before I could hit *publish* I received an email - Quilt Pals is next week after all.  What should I do?  Put the fabric away and cut another day or get the job done?  What to do? What to do?

24 comments:

Darlene said...

Since you're already playing with the fabric - keep going.

Loris said...

Happy New Year :-) You are off to a good start. I say cut the fabric and be ahead. It will feel good!
Enjoy that new camera. It looks like fun...and the soup looks tasty. You inspired me to make some tortilla soup today!

Kathie said...

get the job done!!!! that way you have a week of doing what you want to work on.
Good idea planning ahead, always have soup or chili in the winter saves me at lunch or dinnertime when I don't feel like cooking or want something fast :)

love the fabrics by the way! can't wait to see the quilt you will make
Kathie

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Cut it and be done with it! Can you tell that stopping procrastination is one of my 2013 "goals"? We LOVE soup at our house ... always some of it in the fridge or freezer. We had a smoked turkey over the Holidays and I've created several pots of smoked turkey, vegetable and wild rice soup ... OMGoodness!! Linda

Candace said...

I'm so happy to hear that your hubby did so well with his surgery, Libby! The new lifestyle will be the best of all! Happy New Year to you both! I'd say go ahead and finish your prep work - you'll be that much more ahead :-)
Cheers!

WoolenSails said...

That sounds like fun, can't wait to see what you make with it.

Debbie

Quilter Kathy said...

Your fabric collection looks amazing and the mystery sounds like such GREAT fun! I would be all over that one!
Look forward to hearing how you like your new camera.
I am always thinking about buying a new one.

Lorraine said...

I love the sound of your mystery quilt(s)....also a great way of using up some of the stash we all have! Although it would have been a wrench having hubby go back to work - how wonderful that the surgery was a success and he was able to go back. I thought long and hard about buying a new camera and finally made the decision on which one and bought it while I was visiting the US a couple of months ago..no classes locally so have been working through some of the settings and asking lots of questions of a photographer friend of my son - and most importantly I am having fun with it. I am sure you will enjoy "playing". Looking forward to seeing the progress of your mystery quilts.

Nancy in MT said...

Happy New Year to you too Libby and your family. So wonderful to her hubby is well and able to return to work. The soup looks wonderful and I have saved the recipe, love soup in the winter.
Look forward to seeing your new quilt.

Nancy in a very cold MT

Shakerwood said...

I'm just getting on line since this morning so I'm assuming you made a decision about forging ahead or putting off for tomorrow what can be done today.

Envious that you have a group that you have been with for so long!

And super envious of the great birthday gift hubby gave to you! Great way to start 2013 ......

Dawn said...

Happy New Year! The mystery project sounds fun.
DH is in Carlsbad - maybe I should tell him 'soups on'...
Enoy those strips.

Paula, the quilter said...

I thought those photos didn't look like camera/phone pics. On the fabric: get 'er done. I plan out our weekly shopping list and meals on a large desk blotter that is attached to the fridge with earth magnets. Once I started doing this, it is easy to shop and stick to the diet.

Nancy said...

Love your fabrics...can't wait to see what is made with them.
You are so lucky to get that camera!!! It is the one I have been wanting; but hubby has been out of work for over 2 yrs. now because of health reasons. Won't be getting one if he doesn't end up being able to go back. I am a huge Canon fan and own the old Canon Rebel film camera like this and got many great years from it. Only reason I stopped using it is because film is sometimes hard to come by or get developed and I enjoy the digital world...instant gratification and able to see family and friends all over the country now.
Happy New Year!

Ronnie said...

Happy New Year to you! It will be fun to see what you do with your fabic.
Please share what you learn in your camera class, because I just got the same camera and am having fun with it, and would like to learn more about it!
Also just got the American Heart cookbook from the library, the recipes look good, thanks for letting us know about it. Best wishes to you and your husband in the new year!

Julierose said...

Cut, cut and more cutting--the fine art of delayed gratification...Julierose

Carol said...

What a milestone...Hubby back to work. I am so thrilled. Cut, Cut, Cut!

Janet said...

Cut your strips now before you get sidetracked.
Your soup looks delicious.
Happy New Year!

Mary said...

Your soup sounds delicious! Soup, just about any kind that's homemade, is one of my favorite meals. I usually make a big pot and freeze some in meal sized containers.

I've been using SLR's since before I can remember. Once you get used to it, you'll never want to go back! What kind did you get? Congratulations on getting such a nice birthday gift!

Dixie said...

So glad your hubby is ok - we had Jim's heart tested last year because both of his parents and his brother had to have heart surgeries, and thankfully, he had no blockages, but we still try to be careful with what we eat. The soup looks wonderful - love Sunset recipes. I am a big soup fan and always have containers in the freezer to grab for lunch at work. Commercial soups are so expensive and loaded with salt.

Can't wait to see what you make with your mystery quilts! Happy new year!

annie said...

love those colors.
hope all goes well for him on the job. the soup looks wonderful!

Lori in South Dakota said...

cut away--its already out and you can then do whatever you want until next week!

MARCIE said...

Who is funnier, you or Larkin? Happy New Year to you and it looks like you are off to a roaring start with good food and quilting projects. I really like the sound of your mystery quilts! Whoever organized that must have really spent lots of time planning. Have fun!

Karen said...

I bet you went ahead and cut your strips. That's what I would have done. Play with fabric is always fun. Your mystery sounds like loads of fun. I would have trouble coming up with seven little quilts to be made with the same size strips. I will be waiting on pins and needles to see what the first one is.

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

So glad your hubby is doing well. I love the smell of soup cooking...it's always mouth watering :)
Enjoy your new camera, and blessings to you and your family in 2013!
Marcia