Friday, February 22, 2013

I can't believe it's not butter!  Well more precisely, I can't believe I am living without butter!  Heart-healthy eating hasn't been too hard - in most respects.  Hubby and I have managed to keep our daily sodium and saturated fat intake below the recommended maximums suggested by AHA without much struggle or feeling as if we are missing out.  With the addition of plenty of fresh or dried spices and herbs, we really don't miss the sodium or fat in most cases.
But what to do about pancakes?  I just can't imagine a life without pancakes.
I don't care for syrup.  I have always only used butter and maybe sometimes a little jam to dress up my 'cakes.  A little too early in the season for fresh blueberry pancakes.  
Wait - what's that?
It even looks a little like a bowl full of butter  . . . but it's not.  It's what happens when you put frozen pineapple and bananas through a Yonanas.  It's like having a HUGE bowl of ice cream on the table.  At breakfast, no less!
So what to do with the sweet, creamy, frozen concoction?
Make a breakfast taco, of course!  Delicious, fun and heart-healthy. 

15 comments:

Mimi said...

Well, I was going to say that having butter once in a while isn't all that bad for you, but I think I like your new concoction. I have heard of this new little contraption for smoothies, but this looked wonderful. I think I might just have to go buy one.

WoolenSails said...

Lol, that is funny, but I love my butter. I eat heathy since I have to, so butter is my one vice. I love banana pancakes and then I add butter and cooked blueberries for the topping. Trying to figure out what that banana-pinapple glob is, always looking for fresh fruit ideas.

Debbie

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Looks VERY tasty ... DH doesn't like yogurt but might try and get this by him ;-) Like Debbie ... I like bananas and/or bluberries on my pancakes. Seems like this breakfast splurge once and awhile will be okay ... good for you and your hubby ... keep up the good work. Lost any weight as well? Linda

Lindah said...

good for you for keeping to the new eating regime and replacing the 'old' ways with 'new and better' ways. I visited the website, watched the video and must say I'm hooked. Thanks for the info on the Yonana.

anne bebbington said...

You can also do the same with a combination of frozen banana and frozen mango - for those of you who don't have one of these fancy machines you can make a pretty gorgeous ice cream with the two frozen fruits above (cut into chunks before freezing) liquidised with some milk - great recipe for vegan friends who can often be difficult to cater for, just use almond or rice milk - mmmmmmmm

Lori said...

Oh my goodness! What will someone think of next!? What a great idea!!

Diane said...

Applesauce is very good on pancakes:)

Paula, the quilter said...

It's the pancakes themselves that we, at Casa del Quilter, can't have. :( And bananas hate me. But all that aside, our new eating regime has resulted in significant weight loss for both of us. Yay!

Carol said...

YUMMERS! That sounds delicious!

Barb said...

how about honey? do you like honey?
Your pancakes look yummy
I'm a no butter girl too.

Dawn said...

So nice the fence quilt surfaced. The toad toes are wonderful - scads of them too.
You motivated me to get a new cookbook!

Melanie said...

I'm a syrupless pancake girl too!!!! On most things I go plain-- but on pancakes.....How does 'I can't believe it's not butter' rate in your book?

McIrish Annie said...

glad I don't have that problem! I love me some butter on my cakes. This did look yummy though! good job on staying the course.

Colleen said...

Yummmmm!!

Candace said...

Pancake Tacos! Love it, Libby! I'm so proud of what you and your hubby have done so far!
Cheers!