Thursday, February 07, 2013

Learning is fun!  And it can be so practical, too.  I had my first opportunity to use my Spanish skills today in the Costco parking lot.  To be fair English would have been fine and probably a better way to communicate.  The person to whom I wanted to talk surely had a native English tongue.  But I won't learn, if I don't practice.  So as I delivered my cart to the corral that was being emptied I said, "Uno mas."  I was met with a blank look and I'm okay with that.  At least I tried.
The second class I signed up for is a photography class.  This class is very (VERY) rudimentary which is exactly where I need to start.  I most always use the 'automatic' setting on my camera and then adjust, if I can, by editing on the computer.  Here are my first two examples of pictures where the only editing is to crop - it will be a couple more classes before we begin learning how to really compose a shot.
Thank goodness Larkin is a willing subject.  A pocket full of treats is all it takes to get her to do my bidding in almost any area.  She is surely destined to be my photographic muse.
Second up is my completed Envelope quilt top.
I stayed in my pj's extra long this morning to get those last borders stitched on.  Remember this is one of the seven quilts that our class will be making from fat quarters that we cut up at the start of the year.  Already have instructions for cutting on the next one  . . .  better get this one quilted up and bound.  I don't want to get behind.

19 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I need to learn how to use my camera too, way too many buttons. I really love that quilt and the design, I still need to get better at piecing and then I can start on some more quilts.

Debbie

Lorraine said...

Have fun in your photography class....I had a few "lessons" when I visited my son recently...his flat mate is a photographer and we went out on the streets of London armed with tripods and cameras....had loads of fun and I learned heaps...I can read the instruction manuals and "how to" books...but there is nothing like doing something to really learn....not sure it has made me a better photographer but it has made me think more about taking photos....it's fun. Love that Larkin is your muse....Rose is mine...and is always happy to pose for me...especially if treats are involved! Your seven quilts will be amazing..!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the border on your envelope quilt!

Karen said...

I see why the quilt is called an envelope quilt. I am interested in what the rest of the quilt designs will look like. Sounds like an interest concept.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

The look of love coming from Larkin's eyes in that picture is enough to melt ALL the Northern Michigan snow we're getting! Great picture ;-) Linda

AnnieO said...

Uno mas is a good start :)

Larkin will certainly star in many of your photos, I'm sure. Sounds like a nice slow slide into professional quality photos.

Love the quilt!

Judy in Michigan said...

Both your class sounds so cool! "Uno mas" - one ?
Your quilt is to die for - the borders are awesome. I am totally inspired!!

Dixie said...

I'm cracking up as I have had the same experience trying to practice Spanish! Love your finished quilt - very nice pattern and fabric choices. I really need to take a class as I'm horrible at photography! So glad you are living here now and not having to brave the storm on the east coast!

Dixie said...

I'm cracking up as I have had the same experience trying to practice Spanish! Love your finished quilt - very nice pattern and fabric choices. I really need to take a class as I'm horrible at photography! So glad you are living here now and not having to brave the storm on the east coast!

Loris said...

Larkin looks like she's ready to say something :-) My Sabra is a 'talker' and it cracks me up.
Your classes sound both useful and fun.

Jeanne said...

I think you have the perfect muse for your photography class! Your quilt is very pretty.

Dawn said...

Larkin is so sweet, what a wonderful model.
Love the envelope quilt - binding already - you did some serious sewing!

Sharon said...

I loved photo classes, a good teacher will stretch your boundaries. Love the quilt top, yeah to finished flimsies!

Carole said...

The quilt looks lovely! As for your photography class, I think you're going to love it! I still need to learn about my new toy! I'm so old fashion, ya know, film and developer. lol Oh well, one day! Cheers!

Candace said...

Ha - Mr. Squash practices his Nepali that way - if you think you get blank stares! I suspect you'll be fluent in no time at all, Libby! Larkin is beginning to almost look like a grown up doggie! What a stunning finish!
Cheers!

MARCIE said...

What a great quilt! Such a unique block. A new one to me. Nice to see the old Libby look back on the blog!

Kim said...

Dulce Larkin y una hermosa colcha!

lamaga said...

Me gustan muchos tus trabajos, tambien soy una quilter, pero lo que mas mas mas me gusta es tu perrita, que mirada tan dulce, es un amor!!!! besos Liliana desde Pliezhausen.

Guðrún Á. Rögnvaldsdóttir said...

Look at that cute face :) I love that quilt.