Sunday, February 17, 2013

Spring is in the air. Or at least a little hint of what is to come.  We have a cool down and some rain in the upcoming week's forecast, but for now we are enjoying all the warmth and wonder that Mother Nature has brought to the weekend.  While I was digging out weeds from the garden patch, Hubby was doing a little digging of his own.  Look what he unearthed while doing some spring cleaning in the garage.
If you have been a reader here for a l-o-n-g time, you will recall this quilt once made its home on the gate to the backyard.  One of my very first attempts at applique made for some fairly lumpy/bumpy motifs.  Still I love the quilt - the design, the fabrics, my naive attempt at hand quilting (before I had ever heard of 'big stitch')
While I may not be so proud of this work as to prominently display it in my home, there is MUCH joy in seeing at the portal of the backyard.  It is quite faded and I'm okay with that.  I just tea dye it every now and again to bring some color to it again.  I'm so glad that it is back in the spot where it belongs.  Just one more step in making this place seem like 'home'.
Then just because I can, a gratuitous picture of Larkin.
She's lovin' all of this outside time, too. 

17 comments:

Lori said...

What a fun quilt!! Instant antique!!

Larkin is beautiful!

AnnieO said...

Oh my, hanging outside? Well, it does your yard great honor, I agree :) Larkin obviously thinks so!

Shakerwood said...

Just like an old friend coming to visit again .... in the back door! *sigh* Nelson and Reagan say hi to Larkin!

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

I like the faded look. Never would have thought of tea dying it to bring some life back. I should have kept the fabric flag I made that hung on a rack on the front porch for a while. It faded fast.

Melanie said...

Quilts are just like photographs of different points in our lives... Larkin is beautiful.

Lorraine said...

Always nice to "unearth" a treasure - and what a great idea to tea dye it to restore some colour....and I never tire of seeing the lovely Larkin.

Patti said...

Hi Libby! I'm back to blogland - posting as well as reading - and back to quilting. It seems like I never left! I'm slowly finding all my old favorite friends and their blogs. This quilt looks fantastic hanging where it should be. A perfect touch indicating this is really your new home.

You have been very busy while I've been gone I see. The envelope block has never interested me that much - until I saw your quilt. So wonderfully antique looking, then updated with such a perfect, framing outer border. Oh I've missed seeing your projects!

I hope you have time to "drop by" my blog one of these days.

Patti of "Quilting is my Passion".

WoolenSails said...

I would love some outdoor time, but we got more snow and today it was windy and cold, bone chilling weather.

Debbie

sandycottage said...

If you have not yet , here is a place I thought you may want to visit ! http://simplypatchwork.blogspot.com/

Espero que te valla bien en tu clase.

Cathy said...

I love finding quilts and blocks I have forgotten about. Love your quilt. Hugs

Barb said...

what a great lost and found! Larkin is such a beauty - love seeing a doggie photo anytime!

Loris said...

What a sweet quilt to adorn your garden gate. That would cheer anyone who enters :-) As would your beautiful Larkin! What a sweet face.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Would you just LOOK at the love in that dog's eyes? She's BEAUTIFUL!!

deb said...

I dont know about you but I have been freezing all winter!!!! when is So Cal gonna warm up???

Guðrún Á. Rögnvaldsdóttir said...

Yes I remember it! It looks great.

MARCIE said...

Oh yes, I remember the quilt that graced your gate at your other house. It is still very appealing. I want to follow you lead and do that at our house in AZ. Mine will be at a protected entry. I am not as brave as you are!