Saturday, February 09, 2013

The question keeps being asked:  Aren't you glad you don't live in New England anymore?  I am happy to keep answering:  YES!  While it really has nothing to do with the blizzard that just went through the area, I can say that I am enjoying this day of sunshine over a day bundled up and digging my out of my house.
How did we enjoy the day of sunshine?  With a field trip to Mission San Luis Rey to test out some of the camera learnin' I did this week.  Indoor and outdoor photo opportunities are available, not to mention my overall love of spending time at any of the missions of California. 
No indoor photos to share.  I learned that I NEED a tripod to get beautiful, no-flash, indoor photos.  Here are a few of the things we saw outdoors. This is a gorgeous wisteria vine that arches over a side entrance to the church.
I must remember to go back and take a picture when winter is over and the vine is in full bloom and water is in the fountain. 
This modern fountain has been added at the front of the mission.
I love that it is in keeping with the structure rather than a modern spouter strategically placed to draw attention.
This speaks for itself -
And the tree - 
This is as close as you are allowed to get to the tree.  I bet that come spring time it will be abuzz with bees.
Can you see the one of the mission bells in the background?  They rang the bells at noon.  They sound so pretty.
And finally my favorite of the day.
 A little exposed adobe brick, some peeling white wash and gorgeous blue sky peeking through.  What's not to love about that?

20 comments:

MARCIE said...

This looks like a fun field trip indeed! Bet you are just a little sorry to be missing that blizzard tho. haha!

Paula, the quilter said...

Good job on the photos!

Nancy in MT said...

Great pics, Libby!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I spent the day inside sewing which was great for me. We never lost our power! Looks like we got 22 inches but it's all cleaned up and all is back to normal. And Monday it is supposed to be in the 40's and raining. Your weather looks way more inviting.

Karen said...

I think a tripod would be a good investment for anyone taking serious pictures. Me, I am just a get by photographer. About all I do is take quilt pictures for the blog.

Dawn said...

Lovely! Lucky us - looking forward to more photography posts from So Cal.

KC Quilter said...

Wow! Awesome photos!!!

Loris said...

I love those missions too. One of my favorites is the San Juan Batista mission. Such great stories and pieceful spots.
Your photos look wonderful. I would love to spend some time learning how to use a camera again.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful photos, LIbby! Our little mission is not nearly so rustic--or large--but is an active parish with daily mass. It's biggest feature is a bell tower but the bells are no longer rung. Two enormous Star Pine trees have been there for about 100 years I think.

Sharon said...

Fabulous place for a photo shoot, looks like a great day. yes, you don't have to shovel sunshine!

suz said...

what a lovely place - and beautiful photos, but seriously, you don't miss the 3 feet of snow and the shoveling and ice and digging through where the plows were and losing electricity... how can you possibly not miss all that fun? :0)

McIrish Annie said...

You are super busy! quilting, spanishing, photoing. LOL.

your envelope quilt is mucho gorgeous.

Missed you in my driveway this weekend. could have used another set of hands with a shovel to dig out the 36" of snow!

Candace said...

Just gorgeous and ver nicely composed pics, Libby!
Cheers!

Quilter Kathy said...

Gorgeous photos!

Kim said...

Ah. The new camera takes very pretty pictures. Try taking some shots at the Koy pond. Tom and I enjoyed the Mission. Glad you have the photography class to help you optimize all that sweet camera has to offer. You know, the photo ops are simply endless there in CA, but MASS would have offered excellent black and whites...mostly white! Heeehehee...

Melanie said...

You have found the secret--- Loving where you are at......You need to sneak some quilts in those pics!!!!

Constance said...

My grandfather was gardener at the old mission in Santa Barbara and he had made by hand a large wooden cross out front that has since been replaced. The early 1900's he made that cross. Love your pics.

Linda said...

I love your blog especially because you are in SoCal.. I am a native, and have also lived in the cold and frigid East, who loves to read of quilters who have moved West..(log winded sentence to show my appreciation of your work!) Our acre of land is covered with Ca.Pepper trees.. most of which have been planted by birds.. one of which that had the name of "the climbing tree" to hundreds of children over the past 30 years. Keep your great photos coming!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Welcome to CA! Have lived here my whole life and really you cannot beat the weather. To garden all year long is a dream I am not sure I could give up.

Guðrún Á. Rögnvaldsdóttir said...

The photos are great, especially the last one, it is indeed lovely to see the blue sky in contrast to the bricks.