Monday, February 04, 2013

Wow!  Where did January go?  Seems like it was just moments ago that we were ringing in the new year and now we are turning the calendar page to February.  How is it possible that time continues to move faster and faster and faster?
On the topic of things that happen quickly - my Spanish book arrived in the mailbox on Saturday (well ahead of the projected Tuesday delivery date)  I'm glad I have some extra time to get homework done before the next class.
Before that I was practicing the alphabet - over and over and over again.  To the point I thought Larkin might well recite along with me.  I also have my first two flash cards.
The first an exclamation the instructor suggested we try to work into a conversation.  The second a very useful phrase offered to me by Dixie, that I have been practicing and plan to pull out of my hat when things get too much in class.
On the quilting front, I put my envelope blocks together.  Now working on the pieces for the border.
In the lower right corner of the photo, you can see just a smidge of the heart quilt.   The top is complete, back pieced, and layered and basted.  I'm working on the quilting - some simple, straight lines.  Looks like it won't be ready for Hubby to deliver at his follow up appointment tomorrow.  It wasn't a hard deadline, just a goal so I am not fretting. 
In the garden, the volunteer lettuce continues to produce.  Larkin follows me out for each harvest.  I need to figure out a way that I can press her into service in the garden.  Wouldn't it be great if I could teach her how to weed?  That would most likely lead to unauthorized digging, so maybe not.  Instead she can keep the birds away from newly planted seed so that it can grow.  I'll keep my paws crossed that it works.

17 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I was trying to teach myself sign language, but hard to learn without someone to practice with and no way could I understand what someone else might be saying since I can't get that type of practice. I really like the envelope quilt, have never seen that pattern. My guy loves to help in the garden, not sure if I would call it help though, lol. We get a lot of rocks every year, so lots to take out after plowing and if I throw them, he tries to catch them, so we stopped throwing them after he broke a tooth in half.

Debbie

Sue said...

Are you using Rosetta Stone for your language lessons? I've thought about learning a second language. Think it would be fun.

Love your envelope quilt. The fabrics are great!

Juliann said...

Enjoy being back in school! I have just begun a new certificate program and the reading is really intense but also very energizing.

Paula, the quilter said...

I should find a language class around here. 3 years of HS Spanish should be easy to brush up. I get a lot of exposure and can still semi-read it. Cute photo of Larkin. We are expecting another snow storm this weekend, but that hasn't stopped me from dreaming about a garden. I need to find a source for Delicata Squash seeds. Any suggestions?

Karen said...

Do you have any of those nasty squirrels you had at your other house?

quiltmom said...

What fun to take another language- hope you have lots of fun in the class- volunteer lettuce- the only thing volunteer in my yard now is the occasional icicle that springs down off my roof. Right now the weather is mild and the snow is getting mushy then it will get slushy or it will get colder and harden up again... The joys of Alberta winter.. As for the snowglobe of hockey- he is rather handsome isn't he?
Enjoy your class..
A

Nancy in MT said...

I remember telling you that my Grandparents were from Spain and didn't speak much English so I could rattle off Spanish in my Texas accent as a child. Sorry that I lost so much of that as I grew up. Cheri is also making that envelope quilt, saw it on her blog today, love both of your versions in a different colorway..

Shakerwood said...

Muy bien!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I am jealous seeing that lettuce in winter. But after one cold spell we are having an easy winter here. No snow in my yard at all at this point. Now that I have declared that we are sure to have a blizzard!

Me and My Stitches said...

Your envelope quilt is moving right along! I really like all of the colors. And Larkin is adorable - such a good garden helper!

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Hola! El edredón es hermoso!
LOL thought I would give you some spanish practice.

Candace said...

Muy Bien, Senora! How's that for someone who doesn't speak Spanish at all! Actually, it was Larkin that emailed me what to say - clever little doggie she is! (She also wants you to know she can be your slug chaser in the garden) LOVE your envelope quilt, Libby!
Cheers!

Paulina Baeza said...

congrat you learn spanish y I english when I can, I guess, enjoy

Dixie said...

Ah, good luck in your class. Love your envelope quilt! Really great to enjoy fresh greens straight from your garden, and your puppy looks like she is enjoying herself. Isn't unconditional puppy love the best?

Judy in Michigan said...

Please translate flash cards for us that "no hablo Espanol" Love the envelope top - have never seen that block! Lettuce looks terrific!

Judy in Michigan said...

Please translate flash cards for us that "no hablo Espanol" Love the envelope top - have never seen that block! Lettuce looks terrific!

Kate North said...

Both my teenage daughters are doing Spanish in school and it's a real test to my high school and college Spanish, which used to be passable and now is just pathetic. It's funny what sticks, though - I still understand a lot of what they are doing, but it won't be long before they pass me, I'm sure. I do still remember enough to translate your card and know that being able to ask someone to speak more slowly is a very helpful phrase. That and "Donde esta el bano, por favor" LOL