Friday, March 15, 2013

Today is going to be a sewing day!  It has been a long time coming.  It seems that I haven't much been interested in quilting making for a while.  Then on Wednesday night, our Fearless Leader at quilt class threw down the gauntlet.  She has made some darling little quilts using leftover blocks from the projects the Quilt Pals have been working on in The Fat Quarter Project.  We should be working on our third top of the series and I am not alone in still plugging away on the second.  Soooo .... for each of the three tops we have complete (top only) by the end of March, she will put our name in the bowl to win those little quilts.  I NEED my name in there three times because I REALLY want to win!  Suddenly I am VERY interested in quilting again :-)
So it's time to put the camera away and get out that sewing machine.  But before I do, let me share some pictures from this week.
A Colander of Little Quilts

I can see this little colander from my blogging spot.  The colander was my mom's (and officially called 'The Bowl with The Holes' a name issued by The Princess after a day cooking with her grandma)
Monarch Butterfly
I visited a butterfly garden this week.  I learned that it is VERY difficult to get a good picture of a butterfly.  They are quite camera shy and not very cooperative!
Larkin
And, of course, a photo of The Little Red Dog.  She 'graduated' from puppy school on Sunday.  Though she didn't really perform all of her commands well for her teacher.  She is after all still only 8 months old and highly distractable.  The teacher wears a 'snack pouch' around her waist.  Larkin becomes obsessed with trying to get a snack and goes into hyper-overdrive doing every single thing she knows - Sit. Down. Shake. Wave. Spin. - in an effort to win a snack.  It's really funny to watch.  You can almost see the wheels turning in her brain trying to figure out what to do next.
Our plan is to just continue to work on training at home while Larkin continues to gain some maturity.  Then go back for her Canine Good Citizen certificate.  I know she can do it.
Okay - time to sew  . . . . there are prizes to be won!

18 comments:

Julie in the Barn said...

Some very nice photos there, Libby. I especially like Larkin's. She is so cute. When are you going to show us your Toad Toes?

Sue said...

It is a great day/weekend for sewing and especially since its National Quilting Day! I've been in a bit of a slump with my sewing, but some of that has to do with injuring my stitching hand:-(

Thanks for the pep talk! I'm off to work on some lingering projects!

WoolenSails said...

Having something to motivate us, is always a good way to get us sewing again. Love the shot of Larkin, great candid shot. I love taking butterfly photos and once I walked into a field of them, that is the best time, when they are all together .

Debbie

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I love your miniatures. Your Larkin is so adorable! We have a 15 mos old Bichon and he is due to start his third set of classes-but he chooses when to obey. I would love him to pass the CGC test but don't think it will happen-he can't whine when I'm out of sight. Great job.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Noreen

Quilt Hollow said...

Stunning photography!!! Happy Quilty Weekend!!

Melanie said...

We all go through different seasons in our lives.....I think you are Going to look back on this one and smile...with your pictures... You are still quilting

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Larkins adorable, I know she can do it! I did it with Slide before she passed! We never got to finish her obedience title but we did get her CGC. Quilt away, those little quilts would be so fun to win.

quiltsbycheri said...

lucky for me my Four Knaves (Toad in a Puddle) was made already, I chose to leave off borders on envelope quilt and was already minaturizing the Red Cross Nine Patch......WHEW!!!

annie said...

hope you win!

Dixie said...

Aww, I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior right now, so have an awesome appreciation for the monarchs - muy bonita! Hope you win the little quilts - Larkin is a cutie!

Carol said...

Your butterfly picture is amazing! Your Larkin is just so darn cute...I was laughing out loud envisioning her doing all her tricks for the hidden treats in the teacher's pouch...what a doll!

MARCIE said...

Oh good, you are gonna be on a roll with quilt production again! I love when you do that! Great photos of the butterfly and Larkin's tongue! Cute!

Lori said...

I hope you got your chance to sew!!

Karen said...

I'm off to sew in a bit myself. Hope you got to do just that yesterday.
The photos are amazing...I can't wait for spring to hit the east coast so I can go sloshing thru mud at some of the outdoor places I have in mind. The snow and cold haven't done much to make me want to "get out there"!
Funny that you did the butterfly thing- I was thinking of it just the other day....local one doesn't open until summer, but there is one in MA that is a nice drive.
But today- it is a big pot of soup and the last seam on the week's project. I love Saturdays :-)

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Larkin is adorable and will master those commands ... she just needs to be a puppy for awhile longer, that's all! Good luck with the "contest" ... please share pictures with us ... it inspires us as well ;-) Happy National Quilting Day!! Linda

McIrish Annie said...

so basically your Fearless Leader put on her snack pouch and now you are ready to work. I think you could learn a thing or two from Larkin.

Candace said...

Oh good luck, Libby! I think you need to win, too! Two more prize winning photos! Getting both a dog and a butterfly to cooperate are rare and you should get prizes for that, as well!
Cheers!

Kim said...

Well get crackin' and win those little quilts! I know you can do it. Looks like you are racking up some very nice photos. How's the spanish coming along? I am working to set up my sewing room and it's coming along. There is hope and I already have a little quilt project ready and waiting! Sew on, girl!!