Sunday, March 10, 2013

Yesterday my photography class (and Hubby) went to Balboa Park for a photo taking field trip.  I took over 450 images in the course of about six hours - not to mention the nearly 300 that Hubby took with his camera.  I must now whittle mine down to three or four for critique at our next class.
Here is what I have come up with - tell me what you think  . . . .
Inside the Botanical Building
I had to lay prone on a bench for this.  I think the fern looks like a firework exploding.
Koi pond outside the Botanical Building
Somehow this one just 'feels' like a haiku.
Traffic
 Well after lunchtime this long line of cars was waiting to enter the park while only a single car in the distance was leaving.
Wedding in the Zoro Garden
 With a professional photographer in the mix over half of the guests are photographing the ceremony rather than actually experiencing it and one guest completely removed herself - photographing a small girl at the rear of the garden.  All of the guests were seated but moved forward with cameras in hand as soon as the bride reached her groom - even the mother-of-the-bride is now standing with the groomsmen to gain a better vantage point.

I have three or four more that could easily go into the mix that include architecture and children playing in a fountain that are quite nice.  What I'm hoping is to present photos that are unique to my experience rather than images that we were guided to take by our instructor.  That's me - I just can't stand to be like everyone else. 


14 comments:

WoolenSails said...

What was the assignment?
The first one has nice visual with the fronds and the top of the building having the same pattern, but also makes it busy, so depends on what they are looking for.

Debbie

Candace said...

Love, love, love the second one, Libby! I think you could win an award with it!
Cheers!

Nancy in MT said...

I love them both. The Fern looks like nature's ceiling fan in motion, I like the patterns of it. You could crop it to focus just on one section of the fern, I like the areas that are highlighted by the sun. On my screen I can actually seen the curls of new growth, something to focus on. The Koi pond is a stunning pic.

Too busy capturing the moment instead of experiencing it?

Kathie said...

Wow I am impressed love the fern and the pond is amazing! Your learning a lot! Did your dh. Enjoy the day too did you compare photo's!!!

Kathir

Karen said...

The koi pond is the most interesting photo to me. Makes you stop and think.....what is this? I give you an A+ on that one.

Quilter Kathy said...

You have captured great lines in all of these photos...love the first one!

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

You have a great eye and no class can teach you that,
but you are learning to make your camera see what you see. How fun!!! I've always wanted to take a photography class to better learn the use of camera.

suz said...

I really like the koi pond - looks like a watercolor! The fern has a very modern feel to it.

Shakerwood said...

Love the duck in the Koi pond. that would make for a good "caption" photo.

Cathy said...

I like the Koi pond. I love the reflections. Have fun with your class it sounds interesting. Hugs

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I liked the koi pond but I really liked the traffic one ... there was something "abstract" about more cars coming rather than just the one leaving and it wasn't centered ... I like photos like that. LOVED Balboa Park when I lived in San Diego area and spent a lot of time there ... along with Praesido (spelling??) and Old Town ... sorry to see so much traffic though ;-( Linda

AnnieO said...

The koi pond with the duck centered in the middle of the circle is totally cool.

I think you meant you were supine while taking the shot of the palm :)

The wedding photography one made me laugh.

Definitely all different and unique to you!

TLynneP said...

My vote is for the koi pond!

Karen said...

my favorite is the Koi pond- it looks like a painting! Your class looks like so much fun (and quite different from mine- which makes it nice to see what you are doing).
I can't wait for some "get outside" weather- still so gray, damp and yucky here. But one day soon...I just know spring is around a corner somewhere here in NY!