Thursday, May 23, 2013


Winner!  Winner!  Winner!  I was the big winner last night!
Our very clever and talented Fearless Leader continues to inspire the little band of merry quilters I sew with every week by offering little quilts she has made as incentive to keep us on task with the Fat Quarter Project.  Last night a drawing was held for piecing the Red Cross 9 Patch quilt  . . .  and I WON!  I'm still smiling.
So now we are on to the next quilt in The Project - a churn dash quilt.
The blocks are pretty fun to put together.  This batch will have the most scrapped together backgrounds.  But I'm going to need to do a little more shopping.  The fabric I originally picked for the setting blocks is just not making me sing anymore  . . . at least not for this quilt.  I'm going to wait until all the blocks are pieced before I make my choice.  It feels like the blocks are going to tell me what they need rather than me choosing something I really love for this one.
Last week was Hubby's 6-month 'surgiversary' when we had a celebratory lunch and talked a lot about the condition that lead to the surgery, his recovery, changes we've made in our lifestyle and how even though he didn't feel bad before the surgery - he now knows that he in fact feels much better.
Yesterday marked his 6-month 'dischargiversary' from the hospital which caused me to do a little reflecting on how the changes we've made have affected me.  I didn't have a condition, I didn't think I felt bad but now I, too, feel much better.  Who would've thunk it? 
Today I even went for a walk for NO REASON other than to go for a walk!  What in the world is going on here?
I had been thinking of a new route that would avoid squirrels and the influx of tourists while still allowing Larkin and I to walk at the beach during the summer months.  (Hubby walks on his lunch hour during the week, leaving Larkin and me to our own devices)  But today is Larkin's camp day and normally a day off walking for me.  Then all of a sudden, I just felt the urge to go anyway!  What is that all about?  I cannot remember the last time that I voluntarily went walking when I wasn't carrying a leash (and some poop bags).
Looks like I'm a winner here, too.  Now back back to those quilt blocks.  I want to be sure that I can get my name in the next drawing.

16 comments:

Dawn said...

Lucky win! But of course you did the wonderful work to get your name in the drawing ;-)
You have the best group of sewing friends, and shop to gather at!

Dixie said...

Awesome - hub and I walk every day I'm off - we have a bike trail right by our house and its beautiful out there. Love the little quilt you won, and how fun to get together with your group. Keep on walkin!

Melanie said...

Soooooo, Does luck run in threes???? Keep watching. I bet it does. Enjoy the three day weekend.

Quilt Hollow said...

Love your luck!

Karen said...

I like those churn dash blocks because they are long. I know I have made at least one like that but I must have just been playing because I don't know what quilt I would have put it in.

Lori said...

Haha, maybe the next thing you'll be wanting to do is run! lol
So glad to hear life is good and you are 6 months past that big surgery. I'm thrilled the results have been good for hubby and you!!
Congrats on the quilt win- it is adorable!!

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful quilt and always fun to win something so wonderful. I have all trails on my iphone, love using it for hikes and a great gps too.

Debbie

Candace said...

What a great win, Libby! And how I love churn dash blocks! Congratulations to your hubby - and YOU, too! I'm so proud of you both!
Cheers!

annie said...

so happy for you both! congrats for winning and happy anniversary of both of you doing so well. I am thankful you both are feeling better. Hope all the walking goes well. my boy's dog walked me 4 times today! she is feisty, there is not stopping her, I'm tired, and headed for bed. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend! \0/!!

Carol said...

Way to go Libby! So glad hubby is doing so well...it truly is amazing how we don't realize we're not feeling really good until we start feeling great! Love your win...congratulations and those new churn dashes are wonderful!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow! Maybe I need you hear to get me off my butt!

suz said...

sounds like you are a winner in more ways than one Libby! the quilt is adorable, I don't blame you for being excited - what a sweet thing for her to do! It's amazing what changing our diets and some walking can do! I've just started a 12-week plan. "They" say you can change a habit in 12 weeks, so that's my first goal - changing eating and exercising habits. Wish me luck! So happy Andy is doing so well. That was a very positive situation for both of you in the end! Love that you just went for a walk for the heck of it! Have a great week.

Cathy said...

Getting caught up on my favorite blogs. I love what you are working on and congrats on your win. Hugs

Chris said...

Great job ,you two! What program/app are you showing there?

Chris said...

Great job ,you two! What program/app are you showing there?

AnnieO said...

Hubby and I are off to get new walking shoes tonight--it is way past time for us to be feeling fine and fit like you two! Congrats on winning both the little quilt and the surgiversary :)