Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer is now officially here.  Now matter how you go about marking its arrival - Memorial Day, the start of June, the end of the school year, summer solstice - it is summer.  Hooray!!!  Beautiful weather means lots of time outside.  It also means an abundance of fruits and vegetables are making their way to our kitchens.  Oh, I know, food is abundant all the year long.  But this is the time of year when so many delicious things are at their peak.  Sadly it's a fleeting season.  I am determined to make it last well into the darkest, coldest days of winter.  Currently the freezer is my best friend.
It started with bananas.

I buy them at Costco.  We eat what we care to and allow the rest to become ripe.  I then line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, peel the over-ripe (but not banana bread ripe) bananas, break them in half, place on the sheet and freeze for several hours before transferring to zip top freezer bags.  We then have bananas on hand to make Yonanas whenever the mood strikes.
Plenty of other fruits can go into the mix.  Last night Costco had a great supply of raspberries.  So I loaded them up in the cart and started freezing them today.
They will be added to the strawberries that were abundant earlier in the spring and the peaches that are just perfect right now.  I'm sure some blackberries and blueberries will join the mix soon.
The fun doesn't end there.  When Cinco de Mayo approached, I was a tad overzealous in purchasing limes for margaritas and fish taco garnish.  So I pulled out my trusty silicone cupcake cups and started juicing those limes.
They hold two ounces of liquid and peel away from the frozen 'hockey pucks' readily. 
Why stop at lime juice?  You know those annoying recipes that call for a 1/4 cup of chicken broth and you only have a 24 ounce container on hand with no plans to use the remainder anytime in the foreseeable future?
*voila*  Two ounce portions of chicken stock whenever you want.
So where is all of this going?  I was blog reading this morning and I found a post for a recipe that I wanted to try out for dinner tonight.  I had everything on hand but no limes.  And then I remembered my little stash.
Black bean salad - it's what's for dinner.








6 comments:

Lori said...

Wow! A true Martha! I wish I could think that way. I have limited access to fresh fruit and veggies and I suppose that is why.

WoolenSails said...

I love fresh fruit and buying whole pineapples, so much better than canned. I make up fruit salads and have no problem eating it all up.

Debbie

Kathie said...

I will have to order those silicone cupcake holders now what a great use for them!
I love fresh fruit as well, this is my favorite time of year.
surprised where you live you don't have a long season of fresh fruits and vege's...
Kathie

annie said...

you made me hungry..,,, mmmmuumm!

Quilter Kathy said...

What great ideas!

Dixie said...

Yummo! I love my freezer for future cooking, and great deals on chicken and produce! I need to start freezing the portion size items though. Thanks for the idea, Libby!