Monday, September 30, 2013

I am a planner.  Our datebook is quickly filling up.  With our wedding anniversary this week, Hubby and I have that entire day blocked out and filled with fun things to do to celebrate.  Invitations have gone out and some rsvp's are already back for Thanksgiving dinner at our home in November this year.  We have had our New Year's Eve celebration booked for several weeks.  Today's mail brought an envelope from Ticketmaster with show tickets for our Valentine's 2014 date night.  And now you know what I'm going to say  . . . . it is never too early to start thinking about Christmas.
With that out in the open, let me tell you about a unique Etsy shop that you might just want to check out.  One of the Quilt Pals has been making these bird houses that she consigns and now also sells on Etsy with the proceeds going to an organization that rescues, fosters, and finds loving forever homes for animals in need.  From her bio:

About
I have been an animal lover for more years than I can count. My love is Golden Retrievers and assisting in finding homes for rescued animals. I volunteer for a rescue in Southern California and came up with this idea to donate much needed fund to assist with the loving care for the animals. Added to my love of the animals I believe in recycling and not throwing away things that can be re-used and re-purposed. I am always looking for things to re-make into items that serve a purpose. With these passions’ I am making these fun, recycled and very functional birdhouses. The Wrens in my area come back year after year to nest in the ones in my yard. 

She makes these one-of-a-kind bird houses using bits and bobs of things that most folks would consider trash.  Several of the Quilt Pals regularly bring her rusty crusty castoffs, knowing she will not only receive them with great delight but turn them into something fun and useful.  I keep (and really do need to turn over to her SOON) a box in the of scrap hardware in the garage. 
I know they are great because I am the proud owner of  one!
The best part in all of this is just how much *bang* you get for your buck - reducing what goes to landfills, helping with rescue animals, providing a home for birdies that visit your yard, and the warmth in your heart when you give a gift to a family member or friend that helps in so many ways.  The only way it could get better is if you bought two and kept one for yourself.
So go visit her shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirdHouses4theDogs?ref=search_shop_redirect
buy a little something and tell her Libby sent you!

No comments: