Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Well, it looks like my hobby has become food!  Why not?  We all have to eat  . . .  every day  . . . . three times a day (plus snacks)  So why fight it, right?  Hubby and I continue to work diligently to follow a heart healthy, low fat, low sodium diet.  My job is to find good foods that fit that mold.  His job is to keep track of what we eat to make sure we stay within our guidelines.
Today I had an epic FAIL in preparing dinner.  My plan had been to make a mushroom barley risotto from the AHA cookbook.  I planned to use broccoli instead of asparagus because that's what I had on hand.  I've made the recipe before, with success.  Today that barley was just NOT absorbing the stock.  That's when I discovered I had used wheatberries instead of barley *ooops*  So I turned the whole thing into a wheatberry/mushroom/broccoli soup.  Please tell me this is how the great chefs come up with their recipes.
Also on hand I had some grapefruit gifted from a friend's tree.  Enter the Eat Clean Cookbook and a citrus salad recipe.
It will be a bright note against the wintry soup, but I think it would make a great addition to any breakfast table, too.  Why do I get in my head that 'salad' can only be a lunch or dinner dish?
Okay, enough of food  . . . I do still sew.  I have started working on Bittersweet Briar, an applique pattern by Kim Diehl.  I have not done any applique for a very long time.  I'm finding it fun and satisfying.  Hopefully there will be enough progress soon to share a photo.  Stay tuned, I just couldn't bear to ignore my blog until then.

2 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Most of my recipes are experiments, lol. Today I made apple butter and it actually tastes good. I do miss appliqué, need to get going on my christmas projects.

Debbie

AnnieO said...

You're much more adventurous in the kitchen than I am--I've never bought barley, let alone wheat berries, lol! Love Kim Diehl patterns.