Thursday, September 26, 2013

When I was about four years old, some friends of my parents invited me to join them at a local big time rodeo.  Just for the occasion, my mom took me shopping and outfitted me in the best red with white fringe cowgirl skirt and vest to be found in the county.  But the true object of my heart's desire was a pair of cowboy boots!  Mom was certain 'those pointy toed boots would somehow cause my young feet to grow deformed.'  This motherly concern left me to make due with some very unfashionable, yet sensible Buster Brown lace-up oxfords.
I don't remember much about my day at the rodeo, but I've never forgotten just how very badly I wanted those cowboy boots.  The good news is that my feet grew and grew.  They didn't stop until they reached a very healthy and non-deformed size 11 (which for most of my teens and 20's was a VERY difficult size to find).
Today my longing ended, at the ripe old age of 53, I am sporting my very first pair of cowboy boots.  Just so Mom wouldn't worry too much (or maybe she was guiding my purchase from heaven) I chose a style with a slightly rounded toe.  They are everything I have dreamed they would be!

15 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Nice lookin' boots ma'm.

Chookyblue...... said...

nice boots........I have some baxter boots and I love them......and I have work boots too.........

45th Parallel Quilter said...

LOL ... it must be a sign of our "age" or having developed the attitude of it's my life and I'm living it NOW ... but I've also developed an affection for cowboy boots. Never wanted a pair before but now when I see a nice pair I start to get the "itch" .... LOL Linda

WoolenSails said...

Very nice boots. I used to have some but most are too narrow for my feet, now.

Debbie

Lori said...

I've been wanting a pair of boots too! I had some and I must have given them away. Don't know what I was thinking!
What brand are yours?

Lorraine said...

Age is no barrier to fulfilling a dream then! Enjoy your boots :)

Cathy said...

Like your boots, but really love the story behind them. Hugs

suz said...

yah hoo! While I did want to marry Roy Rogers or the Cisco Kid when I was little, I just wanted the six-shooters, not the boots. However, I do know how you feel because I bought my first pair of Converse last weekend, which I've always wanted!

Quilter Kathy said...

Cool! I wanna pair!
These boots are made for walking, and that's just what I'll do... I am singing now!

Lilac Joan said...

I had a similar experience with cowboy boots, too. In the third grade my best friend wore cowboys boots to school. Of Course I want them too. My mother went into town (we lived in the country) and got me riding boots. They were beautiful but not the same. She thought that the riding boots were a better style. I never told her how much I really wanted the cowboy kind. (I slept with the boots the first night). A nine year old can be happy with any gift!

Kim said...

I think Mom would approve of your lovely new boots.

Karen said...

loverly! wear them well, my dear.

Candace said...

Yahooooo, cowgirl :>) Great boots, Libby - you're never too old to be that little girl who wanted the boots so bad! Way to go!
Cheers!

Karen said...

I have never had a desire for cowboy boots. They do look good with certain styles of jeans. I am glad that you finally were able to fulfill your dream. I remember asking for and receiving a toy gun and holster when I was a child. That was back when Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were popular. That was as into western as I got.

Melanie said...

My first pair of boots--except for the white go-go boots for dancing (They don't count)-- were purchased with my Dad. Just Me and my Dad went shopping and bought them. Some things you just don't forget.