Thursday, October 10, 2013

Over the course of the last eleven months, I have added a couple of hobbies to my repertoire - amateur cardiologist and amateur nutritionist.  They sort of came to me hand-in-hand.  While I remain squeamish in regard to all things medical, I NEVER fear food.
Last November, Hubby was released from the hospital on Thanksgiving day.  By the time we got home and got settled there was no time or energy left for getting a turkey dinner with the trimmings on the table.  I punted with a few Thanksgiving-like items that we had on hand.  We enjoyed brown rice, roasted butternut squash, cranberry sauce and we were THANKFUL for so many things.  It has become a favorite meal, making several appearances in the months following.
Now fall is upon us and the time seems right to bring it back.  A year ago I would have never believed the 'Convenience-Food-Eating-Little-Girl' in me would ever be ready to let go of the canned, jelly cranberry sauce that I love SO much.  But I am.
I stopped at the grocery store today and picked up a bag of fresh cranberries and this is what happened next  . . . .
I washed them and added them to a saucepan with a cup of water and a half cup of agave syrup that was already at a boil.  Very quickly those berry skins started *popping* away.
 For fun, I added about a cup of blueberries that I happened to have on hand.
 After a few minutes at a nice simmer, I removed the whole bit from the stove and took the immersion blender to it to sort of smooth it out.
It will thicken more as it cools.  If only I knew how to get those fun ridges like the stuff from the can.

6 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I made cranberry sauce once, it is a lot of work and time but well worth it. I did mine with orange juice.

Debbie

Doniene said...

Looks DELICIOUS!!!! I love cranberries!!!

Blessings

Lori said...

Do you freeze it? Or keep it in the fridge and eat is quickly? I've never liked the canned cranberries and usually have some whole ones stashed in my freezer.

Wendy said...

I make cranberry sauce every year and freeze it for sandwiches later. I use orange juice and cinnamon in mine.

Kara Kwilts said...

If you want ridges like store canned, wash up an empty can & put your fresh in it. Put saran wrap directly on the surface & it should keep just as normal. Your recipe sounds YUMMY!!!!

Dawn said...

Wow, that immersion blender is powerful to make such fast work of the berries. It looks like a batch worth repeating.
Congratulations on your most amazing year. Glad it all worked out so smoothly!