Sunday, December 29, 2013

As the holiday season approached, The Princess called to ask what I wanted for Christmas.  I very truthfully responded that I didn't want anything.  All throughout the year, I am blessed to be able to spend time with her and Darling Yerno.  In my opinion, spending time with the ones you love most is the greatest gift of all.
However, they could not resist bringing a little something to the celebration.  As soon as I tore the paper away, I had tears in my eyes.  This, for me, is really a perfect reminder of a love that has been with me for all of my days -

Best Blanket
Age:  Almost 54
 Size:  Approximately 36"
Belongs To:  Linda Poe

_____________________________

  
Best Blanket has been with me for as long as I can remember.  Once a sweet pink color with a beautiful matching wide satin binding, Best Blanket knows everything about me having been with me through thick and thin from day one.  I carried it with me everywhere I went until the advent of kindergarten, when I was forced to leave it at home during school hours.  For years, Best Blanket was on my pillow every night while I slept.  Best Blanket came along when I went from a teen aged girl to a new bride.  Hubby accepted Best Blanket and it was with us on our honeymoon, at the hospital when The Princess was born, and traveled along on every vacation we took.  Sometime in the  mid-90's, I had to make the very gut-wrenching decision to stop sleeping with Best Blanket in order to preserve the bits that are left.  As you can see, it is quite thread bare and nearly in two pieces.  Best Blanket now resides in the nightstand next to my bed.  Always close by, just I case I REALLY need it.

13 comments:

WoolenSails said...

We always have those things that we love and they get worn, but we never have the heart to throw them away. What a wonderful gift and full of thought and love.

Debbie

paulette said...

What a perfect gift!! :o))))

Melanie said...

Perfect gift from those that know you best....Smiles all around.

julieQ said...

Wow, I think that must be a record for sure! Hey, please send me your snail mail addie, I have something that needs to live at your house!

Lori said...

What a sweet book and such a tender and meaningful gift.

Shakerwood said...

Princess knows you oh so well .....

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Lovely post ... tears in my eyes with memories of my own. Thank you! Linda

Dawn said...

Great book, love your story too.
Have a great New Year!

Kim said...

You have the dearest life stories. 😊

Karen said...

love this post!! love it as much as I love Mark Nixon's books :-)
I own Dirty Wow Wow ....and this looks like another beautiful love filled trip down memory lane for those of us that hold such old and dear things as Best Blanket close to our hearts (always)...
Happy New Year, girlfriend!! May more- and then even more joy,love,creativity and contentment fill each and every day of 2014.

suz said...

how cool is that! I had a Steif dog my grandparents gave me that had lost his ears and his nose and had most of the fur on the right front leg worn off. Just before my wedding, my parents had a small fire at their house and he was smoke damaged - I was heartbroken when I found out that not only couldn't he be cleaned, he was unhealthy and unsafe. He's still in my heart though.
That book is such a sweet gift!

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, Libby, I love your story. My daughter still has her "satins" as we called it. A piece of my nightgown that I wore in the hospital when she was born. So you see, your story touched my heart.
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story with us.

AnnieO said...

I never had a lovey but sure can appreciate the comfort of Best Blanket. I recently watched a Peanuts rerun I had never seen--Charlie Brown goes to New York to be in a spelling bee and Linus loans him his blanket. But soon Linus is getting woozy and nearly passing out from not having his blanket, and laments, "Why oh why did I give Charlie Brown my blanket!". He of course is eventually reunited with his blanket and it is a tender and joyful scene :)