Thursday, December 26, 2013

When I was a little girl, I spent a lot of time at the home of our nearest neighbor.  One of my most cherished memories of my time there was making pecan rolls at Christmas time.  In the fall, Mrs. Neff would receive a package filled with pecans from the tree in her parents yard at her childhood home in Arkansas.  They had been lovingly shelled by her father (Larkin - whom I adored also and have honored by naming my little red doggy after him)
I wish I could remember each and every little step in the candy making process.  There was a fudge/nougat that was made and formed into logs.  Then sheets of a buttery caramel were made.  When the caramel was cooled, the sheets were cut to the proper size for the logs.  We then buttered our hands and covered the logs in those thick caramel sheets before covering the caramel with the best pecan halves from the shipment.  The rolls were then wrapped in waxed paper and ready for giving as gifts.  It was fun, smelled wonderful and was VERY hard for a little girl to not sneak a taste every now and again during the process.
Those days are now long gone, Mrs. Neff and her parents are reunited in heaven.  I think of them often and miss them every day.  I'm lucky to have those memories.  Luckier still to have Hubby who listens to my stories and for more than 30 years now has made sure that Santa tucks a pecan roll into my stocking when I wake up on Christmas morning.

13 comments:

Melanie said...

Great memory.... Our family makes fudge(recipe on the back of the marshmallow creme jar. There is always a healthy debate over who gets to lick the spoon or clean the pot after the fudge is placed in corningware dishes. Next year I plan on attempting peppermint bark...with white and dark chocolate.

Dixie said...

Love your story, and would love to know how pecan rolls are made. They are so delicious, and Jim's favorite candy ever!

p.s. the gluten free cookies were a big hit!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

What a fun story; thank you for sharing. I love a good pecan roll!

WoolenSails said...

I miss being able to eat and cook goodies for the holidays. I always loved making peanut brittle and taffy when we were little.

Debbie

Lisa Mikel said...

What a wonderful memory. They sound amazing. I wish I had recipe's that my great grandmother made. Have a great day!

Lori said...

What a sweet way to be reminded of fun times!!

suz said...

what a wonderful memory and what a sweet husband!

sandy said...

Loved the story. I am a Mrs. Neff, but I don't make candy. I do have a sister-in-law, another Mrs. Neff and she makes the best pecan logs ever. I think she made something like 85 logs this Christmas season. They are delicious. She has given many classes in making them, but she is so generous, I never have to do it myself. Love her!

sandy said...

Loved the story. I am a Mrs. Neff, but I don't make candy. I do have a sister-in-law, another Mrs. Neff and she makes the best pecan logs ever. I think she made something like 85 logs this Christmas season. They are delicious. She has given many classes in making them, but she is so generous, I never have to do it myself. Love her!

sandy said...

Loved the story. I am a Mrs. Neff, but I don't make candy. I do have a sister-in-law, another Mrs. Neff and she makes the best pecan logs ever. I think she made something like 85 logs this Christmas season. They are delicious. She has given many classes in making them, but she is so generous, I never have to do it myself. Love her!

*-* said...


Isn't it great how this wonderful time of the year evokes so many fond memories.
Like you, I indulge in remembering childhood Christmas times, with great relish.
Thanks for sharing your precious memories, I enjoyed reading about the pecan rolls.
Kay.

quiltmom said...

My mama made homemade fudge and chocolates a few times ( well she still makes fudge) The homemade chocolates were quite titchy to make and she and her dear friend would painstakingly make the home made nougat and creme insides. They did dipped cherries in chocolate too. My husband's father was the fudgemaker in his house. He remembers him beating the fudge- it takes lots of arm strength to beat the fudge. My mom made a vanilla fudge that smelt terrible while it was cooking - we still refer to it as puke fudge - though we generally don't tell people that until after they have tried a piece. It is delicious - just doesn't smell great when it is cooking.. I cheat to make fudge- chocolate chips, eagle condensed milk and icing sugar will make a reasonable approximation of fudge- not as good as the hand beaten stuff but still tastes pretty good.
Regards,
Anna

MARCIE said...

Pecan rolls sound wonderful! Hope you Christmas was wonderful and your New Year better than ever!