Monday, January 27, 2014


 Quilting has taken a backseat in my life for well over a year now.  I still love everything about quilting (well, cutting will always be quite low on my list) but it's not something that is the nearly all consuming thing that it once was for me.  Instead the last 15 or so months have been taken over with physical self-improvement.  Kind of like when Forrest Gump went for a run, I started walking and I just kept at it.  Last January my two sisters-in-law ran in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and *voila* I had a goal.
As happens with goals, mine did change over time.  It became clear that I could not walk that distance within the time limitations set by Disney (they do have theme parks to get open) So I put the goal aside.  Then my luck changed - when registration opened in July, I learned a 10k race had been added to the schedule.  I didn't hesitate a moment.  I signed up not only myself, but Hubby too.  The Princess, Darling Yerno, and one of Hubby's cousins did as well.  Those sisters-in-law, intrepid girls that they are, continued on that half marathon journey.  For the next 6 months, I walked and worried, walked and worried, walked and worried some more that I wouldn't finish in the allotted time.  Last weekend was the race.  I did it!
We set our alarm for 4 a.m.  I was so excited that I was awake at 3:30!  Out the door of our hotel at 4:30, we walked to the starting line.
 We walked through Disneyland Park.
 We walked through California Adventure Park.
 And after 6.2 miles - we got our medals!
 With a little time to spare.  My goal each day is to walk 10,000 steps.  That day my pedometer had nearly 30,000!  No rest for the weary though.  The next morning we were out the door of our hotel at 5 am to chEar on our favorite half marathoners!
It was such a great feeling to fulfill my goal.  But better yet was the time we spent over the weekend with extended family - those who participated in the race and others that came each day to support the racers.  I have found a local half marathon with a more manageable pace requirement which means I have a new goal.  
Oh, and  I am working on a quilt.  Next time a photo.  Stay tuned.

23 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Congratulations on making your goal! It is also nice that your family could join in.

Debbie

Susie Q said...

Many congratulations to both of you it looks a lovely event, sorry I am so far away not to take part. Can't wait to see the quilt. Susie x

Karen said...

Love those tutu's!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Congratulations! You go girl! How did you ever convince your husband to put on a tutu? You both looked adorable. :)

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

What a wonderful accomplishment. My daughter is doing the Princess half marathon at Disneyworld in a month. I am recovering from a knee replacement right now. Even if I could do a distance of running I wouldn't because of this stupid polar vortex. It is horrible here in NH!

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Congrats Libby to you and your hubby! You both are looking good! Glad you had fun! Love the tutus!

Melanie said...

A complete rock star!!!! I think your challenge is wonderful. Love the snapshots of you both! Congrats...Looking forward to seeing your quilt...but complete get why you were 'time-sharing'.

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

WooHoo Libby! Sounds absolutely wonderful! I would consider that myself if I lived closer too, Disneyland 10K!
Getting stronger and healthy is a good life goal!
Look forward to seeing your quilt, I'm sure its wonderful.
You look so cute in your outfit!

Diane said...

congratulations to you both. I think it's one of the most difficult things to make changes in our lifestyle-eating, exercising. I wish you continued success--and can't wait to see the newest quilt project!

Kim said...

Goal set. Goal met at happiest place ever. Life is so good. Here's to many more years of happy and successful Tinkerbell runs. Cheers! Congratulations my friend, you totally rocked this! From start to finish...what a fantastic year!

Kim said...

PS: Maybe you could wave a magic wand over the fabric stash and see if anything springs to life? I miss seeing your quilt projects!

Dixie said...

Awesome post! Congratulations on meeting your goal, and best of all looked like you were having fun! Hub and I walk about five miles each weekend. More will happen when I'm not working in June 2015! Can't wait!

quiltsbycheri said...

Congratulations a goal met deserves jubilation indeed!

annie said...

congratulations!
good for you!!!!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Congratulations, Linda ... proud of you!! Keep up the good work ... quilting will be there when you need it and have time for it; you can always "work" on it in your mind, right? Loved your "tutus" for the Disney race ... brought a smile to my face.

Lori said...

I loved following your progress on facebook. What an exciting race to be a part of!! You can run, walk and quilt! I do all 3 on a regular basis.

Candace said...

Congratulations, Libby! I bet it feels SO great, too! You two look terrific!
Cheers!

McIrish Annie said...

So proud of you! You look super and so does your hubby! Keep up the good work. Your fabric isn't going anywhere and will be there when you have a minute!

With any luck I will be a west coast girl in a year or so, maybe we can join the band of wacky walkers!

Quilter Kathy said...

That's an amazing accomplishment... way to go!

MARCIE said...

What an awesome husband you have! Tutu and all! Congrats to you both!

Kelly Ann said...

This is totally awesome...way to go...

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Good for you... in every way! :)Best wishes on your continued journey of daily steps, what a great commitment to your goal and what an inspiration you are. You and your husband make a wonderful team!!

Uhu work said...

Many peoples want to earn money on internet without any investment but there is many online jobs which have many investments. Now you can earn without any investment with Just clicking and Earn daily upto 10 Dollars.
Join this Best opportunity to make money online without any investment or Charges.
HotProClicks.com