Thursday, July 31, 2014

A quilter's confessional - continued.
In my last post, I shared my shame with my inability to complete projects.  What I left out of the equation was falling down the rabbit hole known as Pinterest.  I avoided Pinterest with all of my might for a very long time.  I had a long established habit of bookmarking photos, tutorials, recipes, and websites that interested me.  It worked.  I didn't need or care to change to something else.  But I realized that the computer on which I stored this mass of information was becoming VERY unstable.  When it dies (and it surely will) all of those bookmarks will be forever lost to who knows where.
So I opened a Pinterest account, added the Pinterest app on my phone and set out to get all that information in a place where I could find it without depending on a particular device.  Simple but time consuming.  And heck as long as I was there, I might as well look around and see what all the hubbub has been about. I started 'following' a few folks to see where their pins might lead me.  Oh dear, now look what has happened  . . . . 
I found this pinned on Linda Brannock's board.  I love and admire her work.  I vaguely recalled some abandoned blocks I had stuffed in the bottom of a scrap bin from a quilt that just never went anywhere.  When I dug them out, I discovered I had 14 and the start of 2 more.  It was like kismet.  I pulled out a fabric from the stash for the inner border.  Just enough for that and a binding.  Added the wide muslin border, selected a back from the stash.  
 *voila* Another top for the 'Basket of Incompletes.'  If you happen to be a fan of infomercials, at this point you will be so excited because  . . . . . . wait there is more!
The Lone Star top that I shared in the last post was originally supposed to have a different border treatment.  Half log cabin blocks set on point.  I trudged through making the half loggies, but just couldn't muster up any excitement toward piecing them into the intended borders.

So I took the lazy way out, used straight borders on the Lone Star to get that top ready for the 'Basket of Incompletes.' Then turned to Pinterest for inspiration for my orphan blocks.
Here's what I have so far.
 I have a total of 36 of these blocks.  When it's all assembled, I'll have a top that is 60" square.  Something about wide expanses of muslin seems to be calling my name these days.  I can always tea dye, if I want to later down the line.  And I'm using up some stash.  Viva 'Basket of Incompletes!'

10 comments:

Nana said...

Love the resistance to Pinterest! I am still holding out....but your reasoning for getting on the bandwagon sounds very reasonable. Love the modern look the large muslin borders add to the traditional blocks. Glad to have you back in the blogging chain occasionally.

WoolenSails said...

I haven't searched on Pinterest, but when I search on google, I end up with a lot of photos from there. Love the new pieces, always fun to finish something, someday I will get to my tops.

Debbie

kelley said...

the two new quilts look sweet...especially that first one...I love Pinterest but must limit my time there...nice to hear from you again

Lori said...

Nothing wrong with your method! lol

annie said...

you're making progress, but I agree about pinterest, I have an account, but mostly try and avoid the hole you fall through, I give myself a couple of hours a few times a month, but no more otherwise, I would never escape, and look at every one's projects, and never do my own.

antique quilter said...

this basket must be fun to look thru.
love the new quilt, very fun. Adding large borders lately has intrigued me.
so glad to see you posting again…
Kathie

Karen said...

I truly enjoyed reading your two posts after such a long break. I had to laugh at your free ukelele lesson and how they ended up costing so much in the end. I am wondering what made the two of you even think of taking the lesson. You do such unique things and I admire you for that.

MARCIE said...

So you have joined the hords of us who frequent Pinterest! I find it to be a nice placetostore things, ideas, recipes, etc. I will look for you there. Like you, I am finding projects and finishing them up. It feels good!

MARCIE said...

So you have joined the hords of us who frequent Pinterest! I find it to be a nice placetostore things, ideas, recipes, etc. I will look for you there. Like you, I am finding projects and finishing them up. It feels good!

{Geo}Holly said...

I love this - the muslin. It speaks to me because I crave a lot of "white space" these days because life can be so "noisy". I have managed to avoid face book, pinterest, twitter... all of it. I don't have time for those so that helps! :) Love your work.